Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times

Advertisements

I have always made Bubble-and-Squeak the old-school German way, adding chopped cooked cabbage or Brussels sprouts to leftover mashed potatoes, forming it up into patties and frying it up with pepper. I have started to hear about other people using all kinds of other vegetables - sometimes without potatoes, which sort of baffles me -- and I'm wondering what people's recipes are around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
You can literally use ANY vegetables you want to in Bubble and Squeak- although Leftover Mashed Potato (Regular or Sweet Potato) is always a must!

Bubble & Squeak is traditionally an English Dish- I've honestly never heard of the 'Old School German' version but they sound similar. The English version commonly includes Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots and Peas- the typical leftover sides from the 'Sunday Roast'.

The recipe I ordinarily follow is pretty close to this (which sounds like yours), although I use Olive Oil for frying as opposed to Butter.

http://www.food.com/recipe/bubble-an...ftovers-256493

Also, I always add chopped carrot and chopped onion and sometimes canned corn kernels.

It's a super yummy dinner!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I have always made Bubble-and-Squeak the old-school German way...
Whoa. Stop right there, pilgrim. Bubble and Squeak is English, English, English, and the name dates back to at least 1800. In England.

Yes, Germans have a similar dish, but it's called Bauernfrühstück (Farmer's Breakfast), and usually has more stuff added. I can see why they'd want to just call it Bubble and Squeak.

And the Irish version is called Colcannon. Also much easier to say than Bauernfrühstück.

What they have in common is two essential ingredients mashed potatoes and cabbage. Or sometimes kale instead of cabbage in Ireland.

Everything else is optional, accessorize as you will, but it has to have potatoes and greens to be called Bubble and Squeak.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
Didn't know it was call bubble and squeak!

My mom still does this with left over mashed potatoes, but I bet it would be good with yams or some kind of squash................ I never cared for just the plain potatoes..........whole new thought process here

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM

The Cockney tailor who taught me how to make it said the polite story about the name is that it bubbles and squeaks as you're frying it in the pan, but it's really called that because it makes you gassy.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The Cockney tailor who taught me how to make it said the polite story about the name is that it bubbles and squeaks as you're frying it in the pan, but it's really called that because it makes you gassy.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,827 times
There's even a recipe from Food Network. They incorporate various vegetables:

Bubble and Squeak with Sausages and Onion Gravy Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 AM

Yeah, well, you can mix other stuff in... it's just the potatoes and cabbage that are required. But on Monday morning you'd make Bubble and Squeak for breakfast and add in whatever was left in the Sunday roast pan... carrots, onions, etc.

The key thing to get is that this was a very humble dish prepared from leftovers. The mere thought of a video recipe for it on Food Network seems a bit over the top. I mean, do they have a recipe for eating cold pizza for breakfast?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
This reminds me of the song that used to play when Mr. Bunny Rabbit was cooking up a stew on Captain Kangaroo ... I don't remember the words, but it was something about gumbo, bubble and squeak.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This reminds me of the song that used to play when Mr. Bunny Rabbit was cooking up a stew on Captain Kangaroo ... I don't remember the words, but it was something about gumbo, bubble and squeak.

Skiddly Gumbo.... I remember that song. WOW, thats going way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes