Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM

51 posts, read 254,718 times

Advertisements

What ingredients do you use for fried chicken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,223,481 times
Well, first I put the chicken in iced water. I dip mine in an egg batter and then in flour with several different spices, back in the egg and back in the flour mixture then into the hot oil.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,555,634 times
Dry off the chicken, dip it in egg whites, coat with corn meal and cajun spices, then into the frying pan.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,398,287 times
This is going to be another great thread! I can't wait to hear all of the responses because I know they will be varied.

My fried chicken coating is very simple. It's self rising flour, salt and pepper. Just combine the three ingredients in a flat pan, like a pie pan or shallow baking dish. Roll the washed chicken parts in the batter and place in the pan with the hot oil. I use vegetable oil to fry chicken. Sorry that I don't have any measurements for the ingredients -- this is something that I learned to cook by sight. My other little tip is that I put it in a warm oven after it's cooked for a few minutes. My mother did this because my father would come home for lunch from our store and she would leave his food in the oven. This seems to ensure that the coating isn't soggy.

This is pan fried chicken instead of deep fried chicken. It is also the way my mother cooked it. I would always say that hers was a little better than mine. She would laugh and say, "it tastes good. I don't know what you're talking about." Ah . . .mothers and their kindness.

If you're making cream gravy there are lots of delicious crispy bits to go in the gravy.

One of my mother's friends used Kellog's corn flakes for the coating occasionally. I liked it and remember it being good cold. It seems like the corn flakes recipe was on the box sometime in the 60s.

My favorite piece of fried chicken is the leg. What's yours?

Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoso View Post
What ingredients do you use for fried chicken?
I do it a couple of ways, depending on my mood, but I have to admit I don't fry it very often anymore. If I am going to fry it: I will dry it off, dip in flour, then the egg and then panko, which has become my best friend or almost. If I don't use panko, I just do the flour dip twice...Of course I spice the flour or panko...usually I use salt, pepper, a little peprika and some garlic, plus a few red pepper flakes or hot pepper...

Nita

Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,756,666 times
I never fry chicken, but I really love it. I have tried a few times, but always get put off by the mess. I love thighs and wings.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,492,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do it a couple of ways, depending on my mood, but I have to admit I don't fry it very often anymore. If I am going to fry it: I will dry it off, dip in flour, then the egg and then panko, which has become my best friend or almost. If I don't use panko, I just do the flour dip twice...Of course I spice the flour or panko...usually I use salt, pepper, a little peprika and some garlic, plus a few red pepper flakes or hot pepper...

Nita
I do it the same way, but sometimes I add sage or poultry seasoning, depending on my mood.

What you say about dipping it in flour first and then the eggs is a great way to get the batter to stick to whatever you're frying. I do everything that way since I first saw it on some food show, and it makes a big difference. Works especially well on deep fried foods like onion rings too!

Making sure the oil is HOT b4 you add the chicken is important too.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,683,298 times
I used to use the flour-egg-flour/salt/pepper/garlic/onion/paprika dredge. However!!.... on one of our trips to a large home/commercial supplier, my daughter spotted a breading mix that they use at the local supermarket/deli. I'd always exclaimed how much I LOVED the breading on their fried chicken! That was about 3 months ago and it's all I use now. It's R&H Southern Style Chicken Breading Mix and it's FABULOUS! It goes a long, long way and the chicken turns out just like the deli's! You bread your dampened chicken, let it sit for a while to really adhere the breading, then fry. If you want to do your chicken in the oven, rather than frying it, you "dampen" it with oil, before tossing it in the breading mix. Again...the best chicken breading I've ever eaten.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,522,145 times
I use to soak my chicken overnight in two cups of milk and 2 Tbs of lemon juice. Then I would pat dry, dip in eggs (with a little bit of milk) and coat good in flour that had salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. I then would let it sit for 5 mins or so and repeat the egg dip and flour and another five min sit. Then flour again and sit again. After deep frying let it rest on a rack. It gives it a good thick crispy crust on it which is what I personally like on chicken. I don't fry chicken anymore though, it's cheaper to just buy it ready to eat most of the time.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,137,992 times
Soak chicken in buttermilk, hot sauce, and MSG.

Drain chicken. Season with a little pepper, pepper flakes/cayenne and garlic powder.

In a bag add flour and paprika. Batter chicken and set to the side to allow batter to stick. Fry chicken.

Another really good option is soaking the chicken in a brine bath. This does make very juicy chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes