U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM

154 posts, read 319,209 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, this is probably a very dirty topic to some because deep frying is supposed to be such a taboo subject but darn it, I want to deep fry something. What oil is the "healthiest" to deep fry with ? Canola, safflower, peanut..There MUST be one. I want some fried fish, chicken tenders, oysters, veggies, etc.
Will anyone answer me ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM

34,240 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Canola, Safflower or Peanut will work, Olive oil will just burn....
a tip, do not leave the room when deep frying as things can get out of control in a hurry.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM

16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
I've never been truly tempted to deep-fry anything myself (although I'm HAPPY to eat deep-fried stuff in restaurants!), but every time I see a deep-fryer in a store and think, "Hmmm, maybe..." this song plays in my head and I walk away.

Talking Heads - "Burning Down The House" - YouTube

Sorry I didn't answer your "what oil?" question. Just be safe, whatever oil you choose.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM

13,308 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've never been truly tempted to deep-fry anything myself (although I'm HAPPY to eat deep-fried stuff in restaurants!), but every time I see a deep-fryer in a store and think, "Hmmm, maybe..." this song plays in my head and I walk away.

Talking Heads - "Burning Down The House" - YouTube

Sorry I didn't answer your "what oil?" question. Just be safe, whatever oil you choose.
Ha! Funny post, good memories for me. One of my favorite albums is Speaking in Tongues.

As far as oil - the western diet is already over-loaded with Omega 6 which is an inflammatory. The only oils I know of that are rich in Omega 3, the anti-inflammatory, are olive and canola. As mentioned in an earlier post, olive has a smoke point that doesn't work too well with deep frying, so canola is what I would use. My parents use olive even for deep frying, but they never turn the heat up higher than medium (they fry on the stove, not a deep fryer appliance).

Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
A couple of things...

First, if you're deep frying every day, even once a week, you should be giving careful consideration to all the concerns about... well... whatever. But if you're only deep frying once in a blue moon... like my neighbor who deep fries a turkey once a year at Thanksgiving... it hardly matters. No offense meant, but occasional use of even supposedly "unhealthy" options isn't the issue. It's only when you are doing something regularly, routinely that such considerations really make much difference.

Second, specifics matter re: oil smoke point. To take a single example, canola oil shows up on different tables with a smoke point (the temp when the oil starts to smoke) of 375 F, 400 F, and 475 F . What's the difference? How it was processed. Safflower oil? 225 F, 320 F, 450 F... depending on how it was processed. For high temp deep frying (375 - 400 F) you need to be sure you have oil that is intended for the purpose.

Third, freshness of the oil has a huge impact on taste. There are two reasons why so many people don't do deep frying at home, and leave it to the restaurants... 1) It's messy. Messy to do, messy to clean up afterwards. 2) Used fry oil doesn't last long. By a week after first use, even if it's refrigerated, the taste of food particles left in the oil can make the taste go off. And if the first use is for something strong-flavored, like fish, you'll be tasting that in whatever follows. So if you use a gallon or two of oil, and toss it after one or two uses, that's a pretty expensive cooking method.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 AM

154 posts, read 319,209 times
Default Deep Frying

I know, but be brave and try it and I will too and we can compare notes.....It just HAS to be healthier all around if we do it ourselves. Health wise AND germ wise. eeekkkk I am talking maybe once a month....Thanks to all...

Last edited by tazymae2010; 09-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
I know, but be brave and try it and I will too and we can compare notes.....It just HAS to be healthier all around if we do it ourselves. Health wise AND germ wise. eeekkkk I am talking maybe once a month....Thanks to all...
Germ wise? Germs can't withstand the fry temperature, typically 375 F or higher. So that wouldn't be a concern for me.

Personally I would not attempt to keep used fry oil for a month, for a number of reasons. So I guess using fresh oil each time could be seen as an advantage.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM

8,738 posts, read 9,939,770 times
canola oil is the best for it....I seen on TV a program where people were deep frying EVERYTHING -- snickers bars, oreos, hot dogs, you name it. that's a bit overboard if you ask me.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
I don't deep fry, personally I just feel its a waste of oil, but I do pan fry things like oysters and soft shell crabs now and again. When I do that I use grape seed oil, I prefer the taste to canola and it has a fairly high smoke point.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,745,245 times
Good luck on the deep frying. I'm with D & J -- I let the restaurants do the work. It is very, very messy!

You have some excellent tips on here if you want to brave it at home.

My contribution will be a bit of humor! (lol).

My father liked to do what he called "food experiments" sometimes on Wednesday nights and Sundays, which is when we had a little time off from running our dime store. "Food experiments" translated into things my mother did not want to do (and as I grew up I understood!) One of these was deep frying.

I will never forget the Wednesday afternoon that my father proudly lugged a large portable deep fryer home. Being very male, he deposited it on the nearest clear surface -- the top of the washing machine. "Now" he proclaimed, "we can save money and quit eating out so much. We'll fix the fried shrimp and hush puppies at home."

This is hilarious because we didn't eat out that much and Dad would have died if he had to miss a trip to Rio Vista or Red Lobster with our friends. He was a very social man and an excellent salesman, which was the underlying gist to his pitch. My mother gave the device a nasty look and remained quiet but I fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I can remember the deep fryer actually being cooked in twice. What is funny is the appliance's locale. Our home was older and the washer and dryer were located in the kitchen. Boomer posters will remember the days before "work triangles" and "unified spaces". My mother washed a load of clothes every morning. She would move the fat fryer from the washing machine top, sit it on the counter and place it back on the washing machine top after she removed the clothes. This all started in 1968. When I left for college six years later I didn't see these devices sitting on top of the dormitory washing machines. What an awakening! You simply lifted an empty washing machine lid and loaded it. The poor deep fat fryer remained in its place of honor until 1984. My father passed away that year and the fryer was relegated to a yard sale, along with a waffle iron and meat grinder.

Along the way I would sometimes ask my mother questions about the appliance.

"Why do we never cook in that?"

"Too messy. Too much oil to store."

"But Daddy bought that . . ."

"Yes, and that's his toy."

"Why don't we get it off the washing machine?"

"Takes up too much room in the cabinet. Antiques, listen to your mother. Never, never never learn to cook everything at home. If you do, you won't get to eat out. And never let a man forget when he brings an appliance in that makes a mess. If you do, he will be bringing them in the rest of his life."

Happy deep frying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or