U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,314,036 times

Advertisements

New York steak for Fajitas?

How bout a nice steak sandwich on bakery fresh bread. Hot or cold.

Yes, carne asada is beef. Puerco asado is similar but usually slow roasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM

17,470 posts, read 20,820,466 times
steak salad
steak and melted mozzarella on garlic bread
steak and egg omlettes
steak fried rice

Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM

13,308 posts, read 21,866,149 times
We made steak fajitas last night and they were good! My son asked for steak nachos, so I piled thinly sliced strips of steak on some tortilla rounds, sprinkled with shredded sharp cheddar and topped it with sour cream and chunky salsa. He loved it.

I too love steak salad but I didn't have any lettuce in the fridge (used it all up when we had the grilled steak earlier). With the heat what it has been here lately, I will think three times before I hop in the car and go get something we are out of. Fortunately I have a very well stocked kitchen so it is usually fresh produce that I buy weekly. Sometimes you just make do with odds and ends you find at home!

Reps coming to everyone - thanks gang!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM

34,928 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Reheating tends to toughen steak, so easy does it.

One of my favorites is to slice them thinly, and serve cold over a tossed green salad.
Keep the marinade from Carne. Don't reheat the steak, reheat the marinade to boiling and drop the sliced steak in it. This keeps it from drying out and makes it even more juicy.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,776,084 times
Count me in as another steak salad lover, I am using my leftover steak from last night's dinner to make a steak salad tonight. What I do is use mixed greens + chopped romaine, add sliced cucumber, edamame beans, kidney beans, red and yellow bell peppers, red onions, avocado, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, blue cheese and then strips of steak. I use a citrus vinaigrette recipe I have for the dressing as I usually prefer vinaigrettes to heavier dressings. I've also been known to throw in mandarin oranges or pear slices as well. I do love to throw the whole kitchen sink into my salads!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM

3,858 posts, read 5,895,419 times
I am not a big fan of leftover steak but I have gone the fajita route and its the best way to go in my opinion. I cut the steaks up into small strips and then sautee in a little olive oil with green peppers and onions. Sprinkle with garlic powder or salt or seasoning of choice (such as a mexican seasoning) and serve with tortillas. I have also added sliced mushrooms to the mix. If you do not have tortillas, you can just serve the steak mixture with rice or potatoes.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
So many ideas so little time...LOL
I always take leftovers like that and divide them up if there is enough then I do beef and noodles or chicken and noodles, fajitas, stir fry and hot beef/chicken sandwiches with gravy over the top.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM

874 posts, read 494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have two big New York steaks leftover from backyard grilling that I'd like to make dinner from. Any ideas? The steaks are already grilled, so something like a one pot dish or stir fry?
Since I am coming into this thread just a little late, I can't help you with your leftover steaks!
However, grilling season is upon us again and nobody mentioned rewarming steak and other things like hamburgers and hotdogs. For those of us who don't like our steaks well-done and see our poor hamburgers and hotdogs already cooked nearly to death, I'd like to offer this option for re-warming.

To re-warm steaks, burgers, dogs and many other grilled/cooked meats: Steam them.

I buy cheap white washcloths and tea towels that I use only for food in the kitchen.

Turn the water faucet on "hot" and let the water heat up. Wet to soaking a wash cloth, wring it out a little so that it isn't dripping, but isn't dry and spread it out over a microwave safe dish. Put steak, burger, dog, etc. on the cloth. Take second cloth and wet it the same way. Pull the edges and sides of bottom cloth up over meat. Lay second cloth on top of meat, tucking the sides down under the first cloth (much like you would do if you were wrapping it in foil to refrigerate it). Put plate in microwave on high for 10 to 90 seconds***. Meat will steam but will not cook. If you start with a "medium", you'll end up with [pretty much] a medium - if you don't over cook it.

That's where the *** comes in: How long (10 to 90 seconds) depends on what you are re-warming and how thick it is. 1 min 30 is about the max time you have on a large, thich (2") steak before it is cooking instead of just re-warming. I usually hit mine in a 20 or 30 second blast the first time and then [turn over the package] follow up with a 10 or 15 second blast if needed. Between "blasts" of microwave, you can open the microwave and look and/or touch what you are warming, be sure to re-wrap it well - and make sure your cloths are wet. Doing one steak or two burgers at a time works best.

If you decide to do this the next time you grill, toss some hot dogs on the grill and practice warming them up before you start on that expensive steak. The time required to re-warm really does depend on the thickness of the meat, so it is different every time.

You can re-warm any cooked meat like this if it doesn't have breading or sauce/gravy on it.

Ella

Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,732,630 times
Carne=meat[beef usually]...asada=grilled

pollo asada=grilled chicken

chuletas[cutlets]asada=pork steak
puerco=pork, but most pork grilled is cutles or steaks

veggies are not asados...the are said to from "la parilla" [pa.ree.ah] or "the grill"

griling methods are as varried as the griller.

Oven=horno [orno]
meats roasted in oven is said to be from the oven...del horno. or oven-roasted...horeada

Last edited by Chimuelojones; 04-28-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Cold steak sliced on a nice roll with watercress and garlic mayonnaise is pretty darn tasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes