U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,747,598 times

Advertisements

German Chocolate Cake

1 package German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Melt chocolate in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cool. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla and chocolate; mix until blended. Sift flour with soda and salt. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour batter into three 8 or 9 inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with paper.

Bake in moderate oven 350 deg. F for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool. Frost top and between the layers with Coconut - Pecan Frosting.

Coconut - Pecan Filling

1 cup evapoarated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 pound butter or margarine
1 1 /3 cups flake coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter or margarine, and vanilla in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add coconut and pecans. Beat until cool and of spreading consistency. Makes enough frosting to cover tops of three 8 or 9 inch layers.
About two and one - half cups.

This is another 60s oldie goldie from the Atlanta Journal. I posted directly from the clipping my mother cut out of the paper and taped in a cookbook. Hope some others have treasures like that! I've never made this but it was one of my mother's favorite cakes while I was growing up. She had a neighbor/ friend who also made something similar but instead of cooking layers baked it in a broiler pan and iced it with a similar mixture. I have no idea if the amounts in this recipe would work in the large pan. I do remember that Mother's friend was always tweaking things a bit and placing them in different pans, etc. She was a wonderful cook and a very sweet lady. Mother's friend brought us a lot of goodies over the years. I can just see her walking into our house with a cake or pie.

This is very, very rich and another "put on pounds reading it" recipe but I wanted to post it with the holidays coming up. Notice that it uses evaporated milk.

My note: just thought of this. I remember us taking paper grocery bags, tracing around the cake pans, cutting the circles out and greasing and flouring them. We lined the cake pans withthese papers. Did any one else do this? I always helped and, when old enough, did the papers by myself. I remember feeling so grown up and important!

I think there is a typo I may not have "caught"! If I did, overlook it and I will correct it later. Just let me know!

Hope some posters enjoy this.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 09-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Typos and adding information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,087,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
German Chocolate Cake

1 package German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Melt chocolate in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cool. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla and chocolate; mix until blended. Sift flour with soda and salt. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour batter into three 8 or 9 inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with paper.

Bake in moderate oven 350 deg. F for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool. Frost top and between the layers with Coconut - Pecan Frosting.

Coconut - Pecan Filling

1 cup evapoarated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 pound butter or margarine
1 1 /3 cups flake coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter or margarine, and vanilla in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add coconut and pecans. Beat until cool and of spreading consistency. Makes enough frosting to cover tops of three 8 or 9 inch layers.
About two and one - half cups.

This is another 60s oldie goldie from the Atlanta Journal. I posted directly from the clipping my mother cut out of the paper and taped in a cookbook. Hope some others have treasures like that! I've never made this but it was one of my mother's favorite cakes while I was growing up. She had a neighbor/ friend who also made something similar but instead of cooking layers baked it in a broiler pan and iced it with a similar mixture. I have no idea if the amounts in this recipe would work in the large pan. I do remember that Mother's friend was always tweaking things a bit and placing them in different pans, etc. She was a wonderful cook and a very sweet lady. Mother's friend brought us a lot of goodies over the years. I can just see her walking into our house with a cake or pie.

This is very, very rich and another "put on pounds reading it" recipe but I wanted to post it with the holidays coming up. Notice that it uses evaporated milk.

My note: just thought of this. I remember us taking paper grocery bags, tracing around the cake pans, cutting the circles out and greasing and flouring them. We lined the cake pans withthese papers. Did any one else do this? I always helped and, when old enough, did the papers by myself. I remember feeling so grown up and important!

I think there is a typo I may not have "caught"! If I did, overlook it and I will correct it later. Just let me know!

Hope some posters enjoy this.
Sounds yummy Thanks for posting

Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,747,598 times
Just thought of this: there was a German chocolate cake recipe inside the Baker's chocolate label that my mother used some. I know I don't have a copy of it. I'll poke around on line when I have a chance and see if I can unearth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes