Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I see many recipes for what I call Bang Biscuits (the kind you open by whacking it on the counter) but not so much for crescent. am i right to assume both biscuits and crescent rolls are interchangeable?
In the grocery business those are known as Refrigerated Biscuits, and that's how you'll find them listed in recipe books, etc. Here's one company's website about them:

Grands!® Refrigerated Biscuits from Pillsbury.com

Crescent rolls are a similar product, but different... different textures, formulas, uses...

Crescent Rolls

In a pinch I suppose you could substitute one for the other, but the results will likely be very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
- Get a jar of sundried tomatoes. Not the kind packed in oil, but the kind that is pureed to a saucelike consistency. You can usually find these in the produce section. Alternatively you could probably use chunky marinara, although it won't be as good.

-Empty the jar into a bowl and mix in chopped calamati olives and mozzerella cheese. I don't use measurements so I just eyeball it.

-Open and unravel your crescent rolls. Put a couple of spoonfuls of the mixture in the middle of each triangle and roll it up. If there's a lot of mixture, use two tubes of crescent rolls.

- Put it in the oven and bake it according to the crescent roll directions

- NOM

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 09-19-2012 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: I forgot a word!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
Taco Squares

Unroll and stretch to fit....Put one can of crescent rolls in a 11 x 7 lightly greased pan and pinch the seams together and bake at 350 for about 5 minutes or just until the dough feels a bit set. I pre-bake so the crust isn't soggy.

Make 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of ground beef into tacos (I use packaged taco mix) Put it over the cresecent rolls. Cover with shredded cheddar cheese and top with another can of crescent rolls (note you really have to stretch these to fit). (I have used a 9 x 13 pan before- You really have to stretch the rolls to make these fit in a 9 x 13 pan) Bake until golden brown.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I have 2 recipes I use them for:

Instead of pigs in the blanket, which is great, I fill them with scrambled eggs, a little cheese and cooked sausage (the same idea as pigs) you can prepare them the night before and heat them for breakfast. It works great when you have overnight company.

My all time favorite: 2 cans of crescent rolls, unroll and and place on cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with sides. Flatten the rolls similar to a pie crust . brown in oven. While the crust is cooling mix together 1/2 cup mayo and 1 8 oz package of soften cream cheese. Add one envalope of liptons onion soup mix or Hidden Valley soup mix. Add 2 cups of chopped raw veggies; any combination: I usually use radishes, black olives, green onions, broccoli, grated carrots and spinach. Any combination will work, some might want to add drained artichoke hearts, whatever. Spread mixture over baked crescent rolls and cover with plactic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Cut in squares and serve. This makes a wonderful appitizer...

Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Go to allrecipes.com and look up "Tree-Shaped Crescent Veggie Appetizers". There are unlimited variations you can do on this if you are creative and depending on what vegetables you like. I don't like the cream cheese spread...I make a spinach dip with frozen spinach and sour cream and salad dressing mix. I slice multi colored peppers for "garlands" and use cherry tomatoes for "Christmas Balls". I made this for last year's Christmas party at work and it was a huge hit.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,999 times
Taco Pie

One can of crescent rolls pressed into a 9inch pie dish.
Bake at 350 until nearly done.
Brown 1lb of ground beef and add a taco seasoning packet (cook according to directions on packet)
Heat one can of refried beans on stove or microwave.
Layer the baked crescent pie shell with refried beans, then the ground beef. Cover with shredded cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese.
Bake until cheese is melted and the crescent edges are golden. Add a layer of chopped lettuce, then diced tomatoes.

For topping, mix together 1 part sour cream and 1 part salsa.
Cut and serve pie in slices with a dollop of sour cream/salsa mixture.
My kids request this for dinner all the time.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Taco Squares

Unroll and stretch to fit....Put one can of crescent rolls in a 11 x 7 lightly greased pan and pinch the seams together and bake at 350 for about 5 minutes or just until the dough feels a bit set. I pre-bake so the crust isn't soggy.

Make 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of ground beef into tacos (I use packaged taco mix) Put it over the cresecent rolls. Cover with shredded cheddar cheese and top with another can of crescent rolls (note you really have to stretch these to fit). (I have used a 9 x 13 pan before- You really have to stretch the rolls to make these fit in a 9 x 13 pan) Bake until golden brown.

Someone asked why did I use a 9 x 13 pan and not just use a smaller pan. I have a lot of pans but only a limited number of smaller than 9 x 13 pans. The smaller pans were all in use and I used the 9 x 13 pan. I did this when I was having a dinner and most of the pans were in use. When I made it in the 9 x 13 pan, I used a larger amount of taco meat also. It went further too but the crescent crust was thinner. This is the reason I didn't use a smaller pan.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
I tend to find crescent rolls to have a slightly sweet taste so I tend to use them more for desserts. I love to take a can of pillsbury crescent rolls, separate each one and lay flat, put a square of hershey's milk or special dark chocolate (I prefer dark but not everyone in my family feels that way) at the top of the roll, roll into a crescent, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake for about 8 minutes until golden brown.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
A friend of mine uses refrigerated biscuit dough not crescent and makes donuts. He rolls them in a ball the size of golf ball dips them in a mix of cinnamon and sugar and frys them. They are pretty good.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I make Chicken Squares:
Couple of chicken breasts, cooked and diced
sm Pkg of cream cheese
Pimento
Red onion
Seasoning, salt, pepper
Mix well, the cream cheese will mix nicely if the breast pieces are still hot.
Take 2 rolls and make a square mushing the seams together, Place 1/4 of the mixture in the middle, pull 4 corners to the top to make a square. Make 4 of them. Brush the top with butter and sprinkle with poppy/sesame seeds, bake on cookie sheet at 350 for about 20 mins or until golden brown. Yummy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes