U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,602,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My mother made the best potato soup. Maybe her being 100% Irish helped.

Since I couldn't ask her how she made it, I followed a recipe in an old Betty Crocker book, and it came out a watery mess.

That was 20 years ago. I hadn't tried it again until a few nights ago. I researched the internet recipes and stumbled upon the following:

Panera's Cream Cheese Potato Soup Recipe - Food.com

Even though it's not as good as my mothers, I like Panera's potato soup. I decided to give it a shot.

I followed the adjustment instructions from kaykendrick below the recipe.

OMGoodness, it was aweful. Everyone else liked it, but not me. It was way too thick.

I like cream cheese, but it didn't belong in potato soup, at least not that much of it.

I'm good at winging it. I swear. I just can't seem to make potato soup.

Any ideas?

What type of potatoes did you use? Russets break down and thicken the soup while red skinned will stay cubed and firm much longer/ Try a waxy vs a mealy potato next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM

19,764 posts, read 19,165,977 times
My favorite potato soup recipe:

A Hearty Potato Leek Soup Recipe for the Last Days of Winter - Pinch My Salt

Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,556,579 times
I love potato soup and for years tried to make it like my Mom's, then my sister told me the secret to Mom's soup. She began with leftover mashed potatoes, added salt, pepper, and milk to the thickness she wanted, I add a little more milk than Mom did. To that add cooked, and cubed potatoes. I sometimes add onion, celery, and cheese, making a chowder instead of plain old potato soup. It is very good.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM

3,304 posts, read 4,500,385 times
Just a plain potato soup will lack taste and can tend to be like library paste. The ones with bacon and onions will have more flavor. Cheese or too much thickening will make a thick soup but it can be thinned down with water. You want some chunks in the soup of potato but you also want to mash some and break them up to form a smoother soup. Potato soup should be creamy not watery.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 AM

62,005 posts, read 67,827,032 times
All this talk of soup and cold fall day outside makes me want to make some, but I am on my way to a baby shower, so guess it will have to wait a few days.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM
NCN

18,374 posts, read 18,233,031 times
I just put together a potato soup that goes along with most of my diet requirements. I am supposed to keep down the fat and the spices and salt. Can you imagine trying to make a good soup with those requirements. I went to a book I bought at the grocery store. I find the grocery store has the best cook book choices. If you want the book recipes it is called COUNTRY COOKING ONE DISH. Unlike most cookbooks, almost every recipe in this book is something I would like.

But today I am dealing with trying to keep my stomach happy and eating something that may be half-way good. I am combining some ingredients from several different recipes to make it just for me.

Fill small personal size crock pot with a couple of coffee cups of water and start the pot off.

Four good sized red potatoes peeled and cut into many pieces. I cut it into fourths and then made several pieces out of each fourth. Drop into crock pot water.

Wash and chop one stalk of celery and add to the crock pot.

Wash, peel and chop one medium carrot and add to the crock pot.

Wash, peel and chop two spring type green unions and add to the crock pot.

I wish I had about 1/2 cup green peas and 1/2 cup sweet corn to add to this too, but I don't.

I have some very lean black forest ham in my meat drawer. I sliced these sandwich slices into squares and added them for flavor and some salt. That will be the only salt in the mixture.

I will add a small amount of real butter for taste and as much cheese of sharp cheddar and a four cheese mixture to make it edible, hopefully. I set the crock pot on high to probably cook a couple of hours.

No cream, no flour, etc. that usually goes in potato soup, but maybe it will keep me alive and my stomach happy.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,919,693 times
I love potato soup and made some last night. This is my favorite way to make it-

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.

Add diced russet potatoes with skin on and enough chicken broth to cover, with some extra because I like my soup medium-thick.

1 can creamed corn

Finely chopped ham

1/2 and 1/2 at the end, salt and pepper to taste.

Just had a bowl. Delicious!

Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 AM

6,273 posts, read 7,549,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My mother made the best potato soup. Maybe her being 100% Irish helped.

Since I couldn't ask her how she made it, I followed a recipe in an old Betty Crocker book, and it came out a watery mess.

That was 20 years ago. I hadn't tried it again until a few nights ago. I researched the internet recipes and stumbled upon the following:

Panera's Cream Cheese Potato Soup Recipe - Food.com

Even though it's not as good as my mothers, I like Panera's potato soup. I decided to give it a shot.

I followed the adjustment instructions from kaykendrick below the recipe.

OMGoodness, it was aweful. Everyone else liked it, but not me. It was way too thick.

I like cream cheese, but it didn't belong in potato soup, at least not that much of it.

I'm good at winging it. I swear. I just can't seem to make potato soup.

Any ideas?

Gakk, I would NEVER put dairy in potato soup. Here is my recipe:

Thinly slice well-scrubbed, unpeeled redskins into 6 c water, adding just enough potatoes to be barely covered by the water. Toss in 2 Tbsps instant minced onion, and 1 Tbsp dehydrated French onion soup or 3 bouillon cubes of your choice. Bring it all to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. While this is going on you can brown and dice a couple of smoked pork chops, a double handful of chopped ham or a few slices of bacon, that is if you eat meat. When the potatoes are tender, use the potato masher to reduce the potatoes to smithereens. This will also thicken the soup; the only thickener you need is the potato itself. If you are using meat, toss it in now and simmer and stir to marry the flavors. If you are not a meat person, add 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke and a double handful of frozen peas, sauteed in a little soy sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes