U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 29,404,405 times
Reputation: 19624

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone here makes Rum Cake. I haven't had it in a really long time, and I don't even know if I would still like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
 
3,372 posts, read 3,767,263 times
Reputation: 4188
I made one at Christmastime last year. It was delish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 29,404,405 times
Reputation: 19624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I made one at Christmastime last year. It was delish.
Do you have a certain recipe that you like? If you do, would you mind sharing it?

I looked it up on the internet but of course I would rather use one that was tried and true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,711 posts, read 83,303,909 times
Reputation: 41540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Wondering if anyone here makes Rum Cake. I haven't had it in a really long time, and I don't even know if I would still like it!
I make a chocolate Rum cake, but only around the holidays. it is fattening, rich and so so so very yummy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 PM
 
879 posts, read 2,409,672 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Do you have a certain recipe that you like? If you do, would you mind sharing it?

I looked it up on the internet but of course I would rather use one that was tried and true!
This Bacardi rum cake is great.

Bacardi Rum Cake Recipe - Recipe for Bacardi Rum Cake - Cake Mix Recipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 29,404,405 times
Reputation: 19624
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,782 posts, read 18,698,624 times
Reputation: 24354
Here is one I use
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix **
1 (3 3/4-oz.) package Jell-O vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup Wesson or Crisco oil
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum (80 proof )
 
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum ( 80 proof )
Baking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour 10-inch tube or 12-cup Bundt pan.
Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan.
Mix all cake ingredients together.
Pour batter over nuts.
Bake 1 hour.
Cool; invert onto serving plate. Prick top with fork.
Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides.
Glaze:
Melt butter in saucepan.
Stir in water and sugar.
Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.
Stir in rum. You may decorate with whipped cream before serving.
Glaze:
** If using yellow cake mix with pudding already in the mix, omit the instant pudding, using 3 eggs instead of 4 and
1/3 cup oil instead of 1/2.

Notes
This CAN be made MONTHS ahead of the hollidays, and frozen! HOWEVER, DO NOT forget to take it out and
thaw a COUPLE of days BEFORE SERVING!! You MUST give it TIME to absorb the rum AND to mellow BEFORE
serving!! (OTHERWISE it's like being served a VERY STRONG shot of RUM!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Fruita, CO
849 posts, read 1,742,249 times
Reputation: 1272
I haven't in years, but yeah, I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,420 posts, read 35,894,753 times
Reputation: 62790
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Here is one I use
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix **
1 (3 3/4-oz.) package Jell-O vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup Wesson or Crisco oil
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum (80 proof )
 
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum ( 80 proof )
Baking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour 10-inch tube or 12-cup Bundt pan.
Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan.
Mix all cake ingredients together.
Pour batter over nuts.
Bake 1 hour.
Cool; invert onto serving plate. Prick top with fork.
Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides.
Glaze:
Melt butter in saucepan.
Stir in water and sugar.
Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.
Stir in rum. You may decorate with whipped cream before serving.
Glaze:
** If using yellow cake mix with pudding already in the mix, omit the instant pudding, using 3 eggs instead of 4 and
1/3 cup oil instead of 1/2.

Notes
This CAN be made MONTHS ahead of the hollidays, and frozen! HOWEVER, DO NOT forget to take it out and
thaw a COUPLE of days BEFORE SERVING!! You MUST give it TIME to absorb the rum AND to mellow BEFORE
serving!! (OTHERWISE it's like being served a VERY STRONG shot of RUM!!)
This is the recipe I use, and I can vouch for it - it's TERRIFIC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
12,054 posts, read 20,208,088 times
Reputation: 31758
I haven't made a rum cake in years but that is the one I used and it is great. I always had requests to bring it to different functions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top