U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,281,768 times

Advertisements

All;

I am hosting a cocktail party the day after Thanksgiving for anywhere from 10-20 guests (RSVPS are not all in yet) and need suggestions for quick, easy appetizers. Here are my parameters:

1. Ideally, would not be served hot. I have planned to make mini biscuits and gravy (my specialty) and my tiny oven will be occupied with this. If I can do something the night before and put it in the fridge prior to serving, that would be the best.

2. Attractive when served. Chips/pita/nuts and dips are all fine and I am sure I will have some, but it would love to have something colorful and appetizing looking as well.

3. Some kind of veggie or fruit option. I have some picky pals who don't like to eat meat, so I would like to have something for them.

4. Cheap! (Ideal) and EASY!

5. Pairs well with wine and beer.

Also, does any one have any idea how many appetizer options I should have for a party of this size? I am thinking 4 different things (chip and dip doesn't count).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Tortilla roll-ups!

16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 package dry ranch dressing mix
2 green onions, minced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced (or green)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
4 to 6 large flour tortillas
optional - 2 ounce can sliced black olives, drained well

Combine cream cheese, ranch dressing mix, green onions, red/green pepper, black olives, and cheese
Spread on each tortilla.
Roll up the tortillas, then wrap them tightly in aluminum foil or saran wrap.
Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
Slice into 1 inch slices.

You can find all sorts of different fillings on the web.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,281,768 times
This sounds do-able and awesome! Thanks!

Any thoughts on how many varieties of finger foods I should have available for people? I tend to go overboard...

Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM

737 posts, read 2,247,509 times
If you have a crockpot, you could grab a bag of frozen meatballs, throw in a bunch of cream of mushroom soup and brandy (or other brown liquor); let it set up for about 4 hours to get the alcohol out but flavor is added. I use 2 bags for parties in excess of 20 and they are always gone.

Also, since there will be wine and beer, you have to have the bellies full of food. So in addition to what you've already got planned and the above recipe, chips and dips and bowls of pretzels, nuts or snacking food is good.

Cheese and crackers, chopped veggies with a dip, easy peasy. If everything can be done ahead and all you have to do is sit back and enjoy your company, then that is success!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
If you have a crockpot, you could grab a bag of frozen meatballs, throw in a bunch of cream of mushroom soup and brandy (or other brown liquor); let it set up for about 4 hours to get the alcohol out but flavor is added.
Now this sounds different - I've always done the Heinz chili sauce/grape jelly meatball thing.

How much brandy? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? 1 cup?

Thinking Calvados would be really good with chunks of apple and pork meatballs ... ooooh, I could throw in some whole mushrooms at the last minute ...

Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,497,876 times
For that many people I always found quite a bit of finger foods are needed. Not necessarily large number of different foods but guests like to graze and try different things.

Here's a few easy things you might like.

Olive Nut Rye Spread
(Serve with tiny cocktail rye bread, triangles of sturdy whole wheat bread or crackers)

1 cup chopped olives
2 teaspoons olive juice
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
6 oz cream cheese
1/2 mayo or bit more if needed
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/8 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/8 cup finely chopped onions

Mix cream cheese and mayo togher, then add rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate. Make ahead one day to blend flavors. Really good on tiny cocktail rye bread.

This might be good for people who don't eat meat, provided they eat cream cheese.

Polish Dill Pickle Wraps

Buy large polish pickles
Buddig Beef - 2 packages
Cream Cheese - 8 oz or more

Drain and dry each pickle. Spread softened cream cheese on individual slices of Buddig beef. Wrap about three slices of the beef with cream cheese around each pickle. Chill and slice into pickle chips.

People seem to love these at parties and they are colorful.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
yes, you can use the frozen meat balls, but I make my own and usually keep a supple in the freezer> I make tiny ones, barely a bite, I use a combination of hamburg and sausage, a few bread crumbs and some parmesan (spelling) cheese and a little ginger. Just lightly brown them. Then I cook them in a crock pot for a few hours using a sause of soy sause, ginger, a little cumen, OJ and white wine. When the are cooked I freeze them, in the juices. I reheat them in my little 1.5 qt crock pot, easy and so tasty..You can make the sause using a little sugar as well if you like things on the sweet side. We do not.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM

737 posts, read 2,247,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Now this sounds different - I've always done the Heinz chili sauce/grape jelly meatball thing.

How much brandy? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? 1 cup?

Thinking Calvados would be really good with chunks of apple and pork meatballs ... ooooh, I could throw in some whole mushrooms at the last minute ...
They are "drunken meatballs", a lot of liquor imparts a lot of flavor and of course it gets cooked out. So simple and really delicious and has that protein factor to get food into people that are drinking. You don't even have to defrost them if you give yourself a 4 hour-ish time frame. Amount of alcohol, well, I've never measured. I've just used the sniff test and then turn on the crockpot.

If I were to use a meatball that I prepared, not the frozen bags, it would become too much for me to do for a self-catered event. Although, your thought any of the ingredients sounds pretty good, but only adding the apple at the very end (texture issues); if you want to impart the apple flavor then use an apple brandy and/or applesauce to help bind your meatballs.

So to answer your question, you want to smell that there is alcohol in the meatball recipe I offer - before turning on the crockpot and if it is overwhelming, then that is enough. Party on!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,916,643 times
Spinach and Artichoke dip
2 cans artichoke hearts in water chopped up
1 package frozen chopped spinach drained and thawed
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups mayo
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients together, put in a casserole dish,bake on 350 until bubbly and golden brown. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

Stuffed mushrooms with crab meat:

2 packages stuffing mushrooms (big ones)
1 small onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 pkgs of immitation crab meat chopped
1 tsp dry basil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1/4 white wine

remove stems from mushrooms and chop them up, saute onions, garlic and stems in olive oil and butter for about 6 minutes on medium high heat, add wine and cook another 2 minutes, add basil and salt. remove from heat and add crab meat and grated cheese. Stuff each mushroom and place in a 9X13 baking dish covered with foil for about 25 minutes, uncover and turn up heat to 400 and cook until tops get brown.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM

13,382 posts, read 21,937,040 times
My go-to appetizer is this:

2 (8 oz) pkg Philly cream cheese, softened
5-8 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 pkg Zante currants

Mix this in a bowl, then shape into a log or ball. Then spread with:

1/2 jar mango chutney (I think it's called Colonel Grey's, with no ginger)

Then coat with toasted shredded coconut. Transfer to your serving dish with the coated side down, and then repeat the chutney and coconut layers on the "belly up" side.

Serve with assorted crackers and watch this thing disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or