U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,942,934 times

Advertisements

I want to make a good spaghetti sauce. Very tasty and hardy.

What ingredients do I need. I've been online looking but all are very much different. I figured I'd get much better results by asking you folks.

If you can, provide measurements too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,656,598 times
I don't really do any measuring - sorry! But here is what I use:

Hot Italian sausage - about five links
Cans of crushed tomatoes
Cans of diced tomatoes
Crushed garlic
Diced onion
Chili powder
Salt
Italian seasoning

I usually get a big pot, and saute the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until done. Drain.

Add the cans of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes - the number of cans depends on the size of your pot.

Add seasonings to taste. Adjust as necessary.

Cook all day - the longer, the better. It's even better the second day.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,172,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I want to make a good spaghetti sauce. Very tasty and hardy.

What ingredients do I need. I've been online looking but all are very much different. I figured I'd get much better results by asking you folks.

If you can, provide measurements too.
Actually, I think it's easier to look for a recipe searching online. Why? Because it depends on what YOU like about pasta sauce. Do you like them thin or thick? Hearty or delicate? With or without veggies? What kind of flavor do you like? Bold? Smokey? Light? Clean? Do you like cream-based sauces, tomato-based or wine-based? Are you looking for a marinara sauce or a bolognese? Do you want a quick to put together recipe or one that needs time to simmer?

I promise, I'm NOT trying to be snooty or difficult! My questions stem from my own search for a great pasta sauce. So may people have different ideas and tastes as to what they say is "the best." I like a simple, thin, marinara sauce instead of a thick and chunky one full of veggies and meat. I like one with fresh tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic and a splash of white wine in it. I don't like oregano, which many people consider a must for pasta sauce. Some people like taking a bottled spaghetti sauce and doctoring it up.

I also like a light, healthy, wine-based sauce like this one. It's very good either hot or cold:

• 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves; minced
  • cup dry white wine
  • cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 medium or large tomato; chopped
  • cup chopped fresh basil (or a tsp of dried)
Put the olive oil and garlic in a pan and cook over medium heat just until the garlic begins to brown. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the wine. Return it to the heat. Cook for another 2 minutes, until the wine has been reduced by half. Stir in the lemon juice and tomato. Remove the pan from the heat.

Pour over angel hair pasta and add the fresh basil, Parmesan cheese and/or black pepper to taste.

What do you like in your pasta sauce, Ron? What are the things you consider "must have's?"

Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM

32,308 posts, read 59,575,988 times
Measurements? Hmmmm. What a concept.

My nonna never measured anything, unless she was baking.

Start with tomato paste and water it down until the sauce is only slightly thinner than you prefer. Add one onion, whole, with toothpicks stuck in it so it won't fall apart. Add whole, peeled cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Add a pinch or two of oregano and basil (less basil than oregano; you don't want pizza sauce), a pinch of salt, and a splash of red wine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick. This takes a few hours. Before you serve the sauce, remove the onion and garlic.

Variations: Some people like to add veggies, like diced tomatoes, shredded carrots, minced onion, chopped bell pepper, flaked hot pepper, etc. Feel free to experiment; it's hard to ruin the sauce if you go easy with the additions until you gauge what you like.

If you find the sauce a bit tart, add a pinch of sugar.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,838,168 times
I like to put chicken in spaghetti or lasagna sauce and ground pork, instead of or with ground beef. Also, oregano goes perfectly in it, and I shake in parmesan as it's cooking, not just on top when it's done. Peppers and onions and mushroom, and a little chopped celery too, but not too much.

Just eyeball it and keep in mind it's easier to add more to it than to take stuff out. I use tomato sauce with no salt added and it's okay (don't shoot me here!) to start with a good jar of sauce and work from there. There are some pretty tasty ones out there these days. Just don't be like me and taste as you go or you'll be full by dinnertime!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,489,913 times
Funny you should ask this. I never measure so really didn't have a recipe except from memory, but one of my kids asked me to write down the recipe when I made my spaghetti sauce. So I did the last time I made it.

Spaghetti/Lasagna Sauce

15 oz crushed canned tomatoes
2 small cans tomato paste
2 small tomato sauce - one unsalted
1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef - drained
Medium onion chopped and 1/4 small green pepper chopped - cooked with ground beef
3/4 tablespoon oregano
1/2 tablespoon basil
Three cloves of fresh garlic - minced plus a couple shakes of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried chives
2 teaspoons sugar - add more if you like a sweeter taste
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
One can sliced mushrooms or one box fresh mushrooms sliced - optional
Add water as needed - start off with 1 1/2 to 2 cups
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook together and taste...if it tastes like it needs more of something, add what you think. Sometimes I add small amounts of finely chopped celery also. Cook slowly for at least 45 minutes. I then turn my sauce off and let it cool and then reheat so it gives it a while for flavors to blend.

Note: when I use this for lasagna I make it more soupy as I don't boil my lasagna noodles first....I just use them dry and cover tightly with foil...the extra fluid and steam from the tight cover cooks the dry noodles. Add meatballs if you like meatballs with your spaghetti sauce.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM

13,777 posts, read 18,676,916 times
One thing everyone has seemed to miss is sugar or baking soda just a pinch to cut the acid for people who have gerd or bad heartburn after eating tomatoe based foods ...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,184,498 times
My current obsession is vodka sauce ...

1 pound Italian sausage
1 onion, diced
1/2 (+ or -) teaspoon salt
1/4 (+ or -) teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon (+ or -) minced garlic
1 cup vodka
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon (+ or -) basil
2 cups heavy cream

Crumble and cook sausage until almost done (some pink can be in there), then add onion, salt, red pepper, and garlic.
Cook until onions are soft. Drain and return to pan.
Pour in vodka and let simmer for 10 minutes. The liquid should reduce a little.
Pour in tomatoes and basil, simmer for 30 minutes.
Pour in heavy cream and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Sometimes I just use a generic "Italian Seasoning" instead of basil.
This makes a big batch - I cook and freeze portions.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,172,154 times
When I lived in Italy, the following became a staple, especially when you're running short on time. The following serves two.

2 big tomatoes; firm and chopped. (I keep the seeds, some don't.)
3-4 cloves of garlic; minced
1 Tbsp sugar
Black Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 gun fresh basil; chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated cheese (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, etc.,)

-- Saute the garlic in the olive oil. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for just 5 minutes. Feel free to crush all the ingredients together with a potato masher if you like.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM

784 posts, read 933,335 times
I learned Italian cooking from my Italian relatives - I'm only third generation. Almost nothing gets measured. There are many different styles of sauces to make, but if you want to make sure yours has that authentic flavor make sure to include:

fresh minced garlic - do it yourself
fresh chopped onion
fresh chopped basil
good quality extra virgin olive oil - don't skimp on cheap stuff

The rest of the ingredients if you want to use dried spices you are fine, and there are a million styles and variations of sauces. If you are wanting a particular type or style of sauce let us know. If you want a traditional bolognesse meat sauce make sure to include Italian sausage, ground beef and ground veal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or