U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Left coast
2,321 posts, read 1,195,134 times
Reputation: 3223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I can't stand pesto either - not a fan of fresh basil, period.

Macaroni and cheese has no pesto - I don't think you can call it macaroni and cheese with that green goo in it. Call it something else.
It disappears into the cheese mix, it adds a nutty creaminess (remember its pine nuts, and parmesan cheese as its other main ingredients).
I also mainly add it to my adult mac n cheese with broccoli, when we are having it as our entree. Works really well.

I grew up on Rotel dip, myself, and that one is a classic that depends on Velveeta- good mac n cheese IMHO, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:43 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Reputation: 48552
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can beat Velveeta with the real stuff! I made many delicious versions of mac&cheese using feta cheese, Gouda, cream cheese, brie, Gruyere, Pecorino Romano, Havarti etc. Smoked Gouda works well if you want the flavor compliment your meal.
I add little of a white sauce and sour cream to the mix to get even creamier consistence.

I happen to agree. I never use Velveeta for mac and cheese - or anything.

I do the same - I add sour cream. All of the cheeses you mentioned work well. I don't think it's all that much more work, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:48 PM
 
Location: The Land Mass Between NOLA and Mobile, AL
1,796 posts, read 1,354,276 times
Reputation: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
It disappears into the cheese mix, it adds a nutty creaminess (remember its pine nuts, and parmesan cheese as its other main ingredients).
I also mainly add it to my adult mac n cheese with broccoli, when we are having it as our entree. Works really well.

I grew up on Rotel dip, myself, and that one is a classic that depends on Velveeta- good mac n cheese IMHO, not so much.
I hear you on that. Some queso is no bueno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Florida (SW)
39,232 posts, read 18,771,218 times
Reputation: 46578
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I hear you on that. Some queso is no bueno.
Rotele is just too darn hot for me....even mellowed with velveeta. It is like fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 04:38 AM
 
3,463 posts, read 2,676,375 times
Reputation: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Rotele is just too darn hot for me....even mellowed with velveeta. It is like fire.
You do know that you can purchase Ro-tel in original, mild or hot to mix with the velveeta, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Florida (SW)
39,232 posts, read 18,771,218 times
Reputation: 46578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
You do know that you can purchase Ro-tel in original, mild or hot to mix with the velveeta, don't you?
I have seen that they now have "mild"....but once burned twice shy. I do use hot sauce on my macaroni and cheese as a table condiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
36,937 posts, read 45,376,262 times
Reputation: 61407
I’m late to the party, I know, but I have just made the Mac and cheese from my old Good Housekeeping cookbook, again, and it really is good. I can’t imagine ever using a different one. The secret is not using too much macaroni, using a nice sharp cheese, and don’t add the sauce until just before baking. You could leave off the crumbs, but they really add a nice crunch.

1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
4T butter, divided
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1T flour
1 small minced onion (optional)
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt
Pepper
8 oz. (2 cups grated) sharp cheddar or cheese blend of your choice

Cook macaroni per instructions.
Place in greased casserole dish.
Melt 2T. butter and toss with crumbs. Set aside.

Melt 2 T. Butter in medium saucepan. Sautť onion until tender. Stir in flour, and spices. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer until thickened. Stir in cheese until smooth.

Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and top with crumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Florida (SW)
39,232 posts, read 18,771,218 times
Reputation: 46578
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m late to the party, I know, but I have just made the Mac and cheese from my old Good Housekeeping cookbook, again, and it really is good. I can’t imagine ever using a different one. The secret is not using too much macaroni, using a nice sharp cheese, and don’t add the sauce until just before baking. You could leave off the crumbs, but they really add a nice crunch.

1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
4T butter, divided
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1T flour
1 small minced onion (optional)
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt
Pepper
8 oz. (2 cups grated) sharp cheddar or cheese blend of your choice

Cook macaroni per instructions.
Place in greased casserole dish.
Melt 2T. butter and toss with crumbs. Set aside.

Melt 2 T. Butter in medium saucepan. Sautť onion until tender. Stir in flour, and spices. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer until thickened. Stir in cheese until smooth.

Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and top with crumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
This is very similar to what I do.....(but sometimes I make too much macaroni).....not sure of what your recipe means when it says "1 cup elbow mac, cooked).....I think it means to take 1 cup of dry mac and cook it for the recipe.....not just 1 cup of cooked macaroni for all that sauce. ?????

When my kids were small their mother used to add a can of tomato sauce and a package of American Cheese or mild cheddar
, to the cooked macaroni and some butter or marg. before baking and black pepper......it was good and they still cook it that way.....now they are grown.

Last edited by elston; 12-13-2017 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
36,937 posts, read 45,376,262 times
Reputation: 61407
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This is very similar to what I do.....(but sometimes I make too much macaroni).....not sure of what your recipe means when it says "1 cup elbow mac, cooked).....I think it means to take 1 cup of dry mac and cook it for the recipe.....not just 1 cup of cooked macaroni for all that sauce. ?????

When my kids were small their mother used to add a can of tomato sauce and a package of American Cheese or mild cheddar
, to the cooked macaroni and some butter or marg. before baking and black pepper......it was good and they still cook it that way.....now they are grown.
Yes, Elston. One cup dry macaroni. I know it doesn’t sound like enough pasta, but it is. It’s like my ham tetrazzini recipe that serves 6 with only 7 oz of spaghetti, and about 4 cups of milk and cream. When they see the recipe, everyone thinks it’s not enough pasta, but it is.

Both of them are very runny when they go into the oven, but the pasta swells up and absorbs the sauce, yet doesn’t get dry. This assume you like a creamy Mac and cheese, not a firm one.

The recipe with the tomato sauce and American cheese sounds like the thing my husband remembers having as a kid. His aunt is the only one left of that generation and she didn’t know how it was made, but I’m sure it was a cheap simple way of feeding a bunch of kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Florida (SW)
39,232 posts, read 18,771,218 times
Reputation: 46578
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, Elston. One cup dry macaroni. I know it doesnít sound like enough pasta, but it is. Itís like my ham tetrazzini recipe that serves 6 with only 7 oz of spaghetti, and about 4 cups of milk and cream. When they see the recipe, everyone thinks itís not enough pasta, but it is.

Both of them are very runny when they go into the oven, but the pasta swells up and absorbs the sauce, yet doesnít get dry. This assume you like a creamy Mac and cheese, not a firm one.

The recipe with the tomato sauce and American cheese sounds like the thing my husband remembers having as a kid. His aunt is the only one left of that generation and she didnít know how it was made, but Iím sure it was a cheap simple way of feeding a bunch of kids.
and good! Sometimes it was tomato sauce but I have seen it done with tomato soup. There is no roux...jut the hot pasta and margerine and cheese slices torn up and the tomato sauce and black pepper.....hot sauce on the table. I havent had it this way in more than 40 years......I think I will be doing it soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top