U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Cook on low 3-4 hours (mine were still kinda frozen when I put them in, and they were PLENTY done in 4 hours).
Quote:
And it's good to know you don't have to have the breasts totally thawed out either.
No, food safety experts say you should not put frozen meat into a slow cooker. If a restaurant did this they could incur a safety violation from the Health Department. Always thaw meat completely before beginning to cook it. Especially in a slow cooker. And especially chicken, which is more likely to be contaminated with bacteria than any other food we normally eat.

Why is this thawing necessary? Because a slow cooker heats up to full temperature slowly , and a hunk of frozen meat makes it heat up even more slowly, so parts of the meat are held in an unsafe temperature range for a long time, sometimes for hours, which can allow for fast bacterial growth. Freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it just puts them to sleep, and thawing wakes them up and they go right back to reproducing. The rule restaurants use is to keep food below 40 F or above 140 F, and to make the transition between them as quickly as possible.

Refrigeration & Food Safety

Thawing in the refrigerator has always been thought to give the best results, because it allows the juices to be reabsorbed, but it can take a day or longer. So what do you do with chicken that is still frozen when you want to start the slow cooker? Or any other meat, for that matter? Simple. Thaw it in water.

Water is a conductor of heat, air is an insulator, so meat placed in water will change temperature much faster than meat left out on the counter. Put the meat in a bowl in the sink, fill the bowl with water, and leave the water running a little so the water circulates. Rock hard frozen chicken breast or steaks will be completely thawed in 10-20 minutes, depending on thickness. Whole chickens and roasts take longer, obviously, but still they thaw much faster in water than in air. I don't know why every cook alive doesn't know about this technique, because it is so very useful.

But even the most experienced cooks may not have heard about the latest update to the water bath process. It used to be said that the water temperature for thawing should not go over 70 F, but recent research by the Department of Agriculture shows that 100 F is OK, and that it thaws the food even faster.
"Air-thawing in the refrigerator took 18 to 20 hours, while the room-temperature water bath thawed the steaks in about 20 minutes, and the hot-summer-day bath in 11 minutes. These water-bath times are so short that any bacterial growth would remain within safe limits."
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/di...ious-cook.html

Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,765,811 times
I thaw my chicken and hamburger on the counter or in water in the sink and haven't killed anyone yet. Neither did my mother.

You DO realize, that yes, you are informative, but perhaps you go a little overboard? I usually just skim your posts, because you do tend to ramble a bit. Sorry, I know I'll probably get in trouble with the moderators for this, but it's meant just as a little constructive criticism. Perhaps you could shorten things up a bit. AND I'm not the only poster to feel this way, if my DMs are any indication.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Quote:
I thaw my chicken and hamburger on the counter or in water in the sink and haven't killed anyone yet. Neither did my mother.
Probably not, but it's possible you may have sickened a few along the way and not realized it, which is why the US Department of Agriculture has always recommended against doing that.

Mild cases of food poisoning are very common, though people often explain them away as "stomach flu," or "indigestion," or other upsets. Sometimes just a headache or feeling less than 100% the next day is the result. Sorry, but as a trained chef, I had to learn a lot more about food safety than the average home cook, and like a few other professionals who post here from time to time, I try to share what I know for the benefit of others who have an interest.

Quote:
You DO realize, that yes, you are informative, but perhaps you go a little overboard? I usually just skim your posts, because you do tend to ramble a bit. Sorry, I know I'll probably get in trouble with the moderators for this, but it's meant just as a little constructive criticism. Perhaps you could shorten things up a bit. AND I'm not the only poster to feel this way, if my DMs are any indication.
To quote Wayne Dyer, "What you think of me is none of my business."

One of the great things about online forums is that nobody forces you to read anything, and you can skip whatever you don't like. I write to be informative, to be accurate, and to be thorough, and hopefully to be interesting. But always to be a source of accurate information that people can count on. I fact-check my own writing, which is something a lot of people don't do. I furnish references so that others can fact check me if they like, or to delve further into the subject if they are so moved. Some people value that. Others don't. Some people like to read. Others don't. Some people love my posts. Others don't.

Oh well. Can't please everyone.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-16-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
This is in my crock pot now. It'll be ready before dinnertime (actually it'll be ready for lunch!), so I'll have to warm it up for dinner, but my day only allowed me to do the prep early this morning, rather than four hours before dinner. But that's OK. I'm looking forward to the results!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Update: Two hours in the crock pot and things are starting to smell gooooooood!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Yay! Let us know how it is! I have that issue with crock pot cooking too during the week. Usually stuff only needs 3-4 hours, and I'm away from home for 11 when it's a work day! I need a crock pot with a timer on it so I can "set it and forget it"!!!
Oh, speaking of crock pot cooking, yesterday I put some beef ribs in at 6:45am, dumped some bbq sauce over them, and turned them on "low". By 4:30 they had literally fallen off the bones to the point I reached in with a tongs and pulled out the bare bones! They were soooooooooooo yummy!!! We put a little more bbq sauce on them when we ate, as most of it ended up in the juice in the crock pot. Don't worry Open D, they were thawed.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Well, THAT was easy! It's a bit sweeter than I like (but that's just me -- I much prefer savory over sweet), but I do find it VERY tasty... and my husband will LOVE it served over rice tonight. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks, Mrs. Cool!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,397,464 times
This does sound really good, and since 2 of you like it, I am going to have to try it.

I have actually never cooked chicken in a crock pot. I normally stick to beef or pork.

You know, I put a couple of chicken breasts in the sink of water and they thaw out very quickly. I actually don't thaw them the full way because I normally end up fileting the breasts in two and then cutting in strips and it seems a lot easier for me to cut it that way somehow.

I was in that taking back sweet and sour chicken thread yesterday and this makes me want to make this and throw in some green peppers, onions, and pineapples. Cherries can go in my pina colada! WOOT!

thanks for sharing the recipe!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM

I'm glad you liked it Dawn! Did you throw in some broccoli or no?
I DID have the breasts in the fridge to slowly thaw, 'cuz we were supposedly going somewhere Sunday, but when that fell through due to lack of sleep for the both of us AND a terrible rain storm, we stayed in so I needed to come up with something. I usually plan my menus for the week and take out whatever meat I need, so I actually ended up one idea short for this week! So....what's for supper TONIGHT???

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it Dawn! Did you throw in some broccoli or no?
I DID have the breasts in the fridge to slowly thaw, 'cuz we were supposedly going somewhere Sunday, but when that fell through due to lack of sleep for the both of us AND a terrible rain storm, we stayed in so I needed to come up with something. I usually plan my menus for the week and take out whatever meat I need, so I actually ended up one idea short for this week! So....what's for supper TONIGHT???
I was so busy multi-tasking that I totally forgot the broccoli. I was planning on putting it in but forgot. Next time, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or