U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,479,908 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good old fashioned sugar cookie recipe? I have one that uses half butter, half crisco...it's very good. Still, my husband has that look on his face that these are not "it"... He's from Iowa and I love him...so I'm lookin'. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,349,863 times
Quote:
Does anyone have a good old fashioned sugar cookie recipe? I have one that uses half butter, half crisco...it's very good. Still, my husband has that look on his face that these are not "it"... He's from Iowa and I love him...so I'm lookin'. Thanks.
He may be looking for Snicker Doodles.

Snicker Doodles

3-3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 tsp. salt

*3 Tbs. sugar
*1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine in a bowl the flour, soda, cream of tartar and 1/2 tsp. salt. Beat butter for 30 seconds, add sugar (2 cups) and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla and beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating well until combined. Form dough into 1" balls, roll in a mixture of *3 Tbs. sugar and cinnamon. Place balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet flatten slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar mixture. Bake in a 375 oven for about 8 minutes or until light golden.

Very similar to a sugar cookie but not quite the same.
What is a Snickerdoodle?
Liz

Old 10-11-2007, 10:18 AM

Thank you Southernlady! I know he is not lusting after snickerdoodles...just a REAL old fashioned sugar cookie. I'm going to try your recipe and leave out the cinamon. Maybe this will be "it"!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,184,088 times
I've got "the" butter cookie recipe....give me a minute and I'll key it up.

You are talking about the butter sugar cookies you cut into shapes...for Christmas, etc?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,184,088 times
I grew up in Michigan and this is the recipe my mother used....delicious when iced.

Butter Cookies

1 lb unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour

Mix, chill, roll, cut

Bake 350 12-15 mins

I found this to be the key to these cookies, cut them thick and then get them out of the oven as if they've not even been baked....more like 10 mins. I'd test your oven on one cookie.

There should be absolutely, positively no browning....let them cool on the sheet...they firm up after cooled for transfer.

Let me know how this works out.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I've got "the" butter cookie recipe....give me a minute and I'll key it up.

You are talking about the butter sugar cookies you cut into shapes...for Christmas, etc?
I wish I knew what I was looking for. My husband is mad for, what he calls, sugar cookies. He is from Iowa...don't know if it is regional. The closest he has found are the sugar coookies at Paradise Bakery (a chain!) He likes them the 2nd day after purchase!

The closest I came was a sugar cookie recipe off epicurious.com using half butter half crisco.

They all taste boring to me! I like chocolate.

I'll love new recipes, so I'll try your butter cookie. I need a good Christmas cookie recipe...so it will be used, one way or the other.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I grew up in Michigan and this is the recipe my mother used....delicious when iced.

Butter Cookies

1 lb unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour

Mix, chill, roll, cut

Bake 350 12-15 mins

I found this to be the key to these cookies, cut them thick and then get them out of the oven as if they've not even been baked....more like 10 mins. I'd test your oven on one cookie.

There should be absolutely, positively no browning....let them cool on the sheet...they firm up after cooled for transfer.

Let me know how this works out.

I am making these tomorrow! With pink royal icing piped on!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,677,095 times
Being an eastern Nebraska girl myself I'm pretty sure my Gramma's recipe is what he's looking for. Ask him if they crack on top. If this is what he's wanting I'll pm you my recipe. I never share recipes like this one so feel special, I'm only willing because well, I feel the need to save your marriage, lol!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,677,095 times
Elmonellie - you have to clear some space so that I can send you the recipe privately.

Also, where do you all live, altitude will affect contents and baking times. Thanx!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 AM

187 posts, read 538,689 times
This one's a very old one from Iowa if you read the recipe all the way to the end:

Cooking Little Grandma's Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies Recipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or