U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:44 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,589,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I made a chicken stew tonight, and its lousey! I doubt another hour of simmering will help any.

I just decided to use what I had on hand,a sort of potluck. Well, seems my luck ran out! Here's what I did:

4 chicken breasts--boiled for ~ 3 hours. I did leave the skin on, perhaps that was the problem, too much fat?

Well, added:

One diced sweet potato

2 diced onions

4 zucchini diced

One large, diced apple

two cans tomatoes

Hey, like I said, it was use up the leftovers night!

It just doesn't taste right! I added salt, pepper, garlic salt, parsley flakes...it still tastes flat, kinda weird!

Well, if all else fails, I can rescue the chicken and make sandwiches!
Use plenty of garlic powder, add (the biggest helper)"better than bullion" chicken flavored. Add celery salt, or celery slices if you have them. In a pinch if you have cream of mushroom soup add it undiluted...or a couple packages of dry onion soup mix, or chicken gravy mix to your broth....I taste as I add...you'll get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,187,465 times
Generally speaking chicken and tomatoes don't mix well in stews. Also you're better off using chicken with bones in it, they help round out the chicken stock.

It used to be that you could find stewing chickens, which were older birds whose flesh was a bit tougher, that could stand up to some 3 hour cooking - but that was back in ye goode olde days.

Garlic and herbes de Provence mix go well with chicken. Also, a little glug of white wine. Cream or half and half are good when put in at the end of the cooking. It's also forgivable if you do the cheap trick of adding a can of Cream of Chicken soup at the beginning.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM

13,316 posts, read 21,878,456 times
If chicken and tomato weren't good together then we'd have no dishes like chicken cacciatore or chicken tikka masala. Hmm. I think the sweet potatoes and apples were the red herrings in this dish.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM

9,668 posts, read 15,802,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If chicken and tomato weren't good together then we'd have no dishes like chicken cacciatore or chicken tikka masala. Hmm. I think the sweet potatoes and apples were the red herrings in this dish.

That's what I should have added---red herring

Hey, you know, it wasn't so bad---it got eaten.

I understand Julia Child's mistakes went to her family. so, perhaps this is the start of a new career!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,173,621 times
Maybe your DH should buy you some cookbooks for Christmas before he expires from flatulence and indigestion ...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,551,507 times
Quote:
I understand Julia Child's mistakes went to her family. so, perhaps this is the start of a new career!
I have a motto I'll share with you:

Mistakes: It's what's for dinner!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,011,503 times
I use chicken breasts, but I dice them first, sear them in oil or butter, add water, chicken soup base, carrots, celery, frozen peas and then decide whether the starch is going to be noodles or potatoes. I then add garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper to taste.....voila! I've never heard of using apples or sweet potatoes in my chicken soup/stew......thinking that wouldn't be something we'd care for. LOL

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM

34,252 posts, read 41,284,536 times
Making Chicken soup or stew is about highlighting the broth and the chicken, other than a few other ingredients like a few potatoes,carrots,onions and a celery stalk not much more is needed other than a few herbs and spices and a loaf of crusty bread .,
recipe should look like this.
Classic Chicken Soup | Real Simple Recipes

Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
Aside from the weird combo of vegetables, you would have had no richness of flavor in the broth. Three hours is about 2 1/2 too long to simmer a chicken breast.
You could have roasted or browned the chicken first to add flavor to the broth. When you are going for quick meals and low labor, you need a jar of Chicken Base, or a few cans of stock for the broth.
I know you were trying to use up some things you already had, but don't forget about using the fabulous roasted chickens in your grocery store. They are so good for quick meals....everything from soup to chicken salad and casseroles.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:12 AM

1,013 posts, read 539,732 times
Smile Experimented also last week......

Quote:
Hey, it was a learning experience!

First I thing as people have already said 3 hours is too long for chicken especially white meat. Last week I put together boneless, skinless chicken thighs with butternut squash and pearl onions. Thrown in raw and cooked in a slow cooker for 6 hrs. on high. Even with dark meat it was a little stringy but more than edible. Seasoned only with Adobo Lite as I'm limiting my sodium. White meat would have been a disaster. Next time I am going to try bone in thighs and see if that helps. I'm also going to break the rules and remove the lid and check the chicken with an instant read thermometer. 170 degrees and out.

It seems like poultry's texture does not respond well to long braising like pork or beef. Anyway good luck with your experimenting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes