U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times

Advertisements

Not for me. Too salty. Too creamy. I prefer my food plain...just a bit of lemon please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,107,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, not that impressed with it myself, it was given to me so I used it but you can do the same with sour cream or cream cheese then add whatever you want to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I tried them but was underwhelmed. I didn't invest much since they are always stocked at my local 99c store. Gee, I wonder why the 99c store always has hundreds of them in the display case.

The dish tasted gloppy, like glue. Gack, won't be buying again.
I, also, was given a free container and tried it because I had it. It did taste like gloppy glue which hardened into paste balls. I had to remake the pasta dish with homemade sauce.

This won't be something in my pantry ever again!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM

22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times
There is a Southwest flavor that makes a superb chicken enchilada. Diced cooked chicken, a smear of the cooking cream, jack cheese, diced onion. Roll it up and cook with green enchilada sauce. Seriously good enchiladas.

The Italian sorts of flavors, my family wasn't wild about and they are very strong flavored. I found that about 1/3 of the container was plenty to use. So if you are going to use it, add and taste as you go instead of dumping in the entire thing all at once.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,603,539 times
I've tried them. They're OK. If I have some I'll use it; there are worse convenience foods. I've used it for quick pasta with chicken and my own spices added. I've used it to spread on lavash sandwich pinwheels. I've used it in my mac 'n' cheese sauce.

It's nothing I require in the pantry, but nothing I'll ban from it.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:52 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,318,456 times
Been around for a long time creme fraiche or crema mexicana

Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,499,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I'm a little mystified by this stuff.

What does it do that a white sauce, heavy cream, light cream, unsweetened whipped cream, butter, or cream cheese won't do? Any of these can be used to add creaminess. Is it tang? Judicious use of lemon can add that.

Is it low calorie? I guess I can understand if it adds body and creaminess without much fat or starch.
What it does is provide a nice cheese sauce for people who are short on time or can't cook. Quite a few sauces seem easy to an experienced cook, but I know many people who would not be able to manage it and wouldn't have to imagination to realize that adding lemon would add tang to a sauce.

I, too, tried it when I had a coupon. It sat in the refrigerator until one day I had unexpected company and didn't want to neglect them to prepare a complicated dinner when they agreed to stay. I boiled some pasta, shredded a rotisserie chicken, and added it, the Philadelphia Cooking Cream, and some herbs snipped from my garden to the pasta. I served it with a green salad and garlic bread I made from a half loaf of Italian bread I had in the freezer. Dinner was on the table in half an hour. I guess the guests liked it since there were no leftovers and everyone was complimentary.

No, I wouldn't consider it low calorie.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 AM

17,470 posts, read 20,825,105 times
Make your own you can use Boursin cheese which is like cream cheese but it's flavored with garlic and herbs or you can use that Alouette cheese. you can add a touch of heavy cream or half and half as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Make your own you can use Boursin cheese
I agree -- Boursin is the best, especially the pepper one. There's a recipe that I posted on the Recipes forum, many moons ago, that featured pasta, asparagus, mushrooms, and Boursin (pepper). It's one of my favorite recipes and soooo easy. And Boursin always stays creamy, never lumpy.

Pasta shells, baby bella mushrooms, and Boursin sauce

Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM

387 posts, read 521,261 times
I've found it useful for quick weeknight meals because I get home from work at 6 pm, DH about the same, and both of us plus the kid all very hungry and tired.

Weekends I have more time and can mess around with making sauces and stuff.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,133,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
The first thing I wondered about the cooking creme was how much sodium was included to make it 'tasty'. To me, it is just another product to dumb down cooking and put extras in the food we really don't need to be eating. How hard is it to sprinkle some spices from the pantry into a combination of sour cream and cream cheese?

I hopped on the KRAFT website for nutritional info. I didn't find any, but I did see there is a new product, Cool Whip frosting, coming out soon. GACK
Ewww cool whip frosting. I can't stand Kraft products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or