U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
cjw cjw started this thread

127 posts, read 281,036 times
Default What is your favorite cake to make that starts with a yellow cake mix?

What is your favorite cake to make that starts with a yellow cake mix?

Starting with a mix makes baking much faster and I know there are some great recipes out there.

Here's one.

Dots of Chocolate

1 box yellow cake mix
1 (3 oz) box vanilla instant pudding mix
1 (3 oz) box chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup water
2/3 cup oil
1 (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large mixer bowl, combine mixes, eggs, water, and oil, beating until well blended, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into greased and floured tube or bundt pan.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. Be careful not to overbake or it will be dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM

9,709 posts, read 13,227,262 times
My mom used to make this easy recipe for us from yellow cake mix:

1 box yellow cake mix, prepared according to package directions in 13 x 9 pan
1 can fruit cocktail
2 small or 1 big box of red jello (raspberry, strawberry, cherry, whichever you prefer) prepared according to package directions
1 tub of cool-whip

Mix the fruit cocktail into the semi-set jello, and pour over the cooled cake (still in the pan, of course). Refrigerate until completely set, then spread the cool-whip over the entire top of the cake.

Sometimes, my mom wouldn't wait for the jello to start setting, and would pour it wet over the cake with the fruit in it. The cake would soak up the jello and set that way, and would make it super moist and tasty.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM

4,389 posts, read 9,807,127 times
If you like Coconut Cake, We add a 1/2 box of instant coconut pudding, 1 envelope of dream (not cool) whip,1 cup coconut, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract,and milk instead of the water, follow rest of directions on box,but add extra egg. Top with frosting of 1 envelope of dream whip (follow directions on box) add that other 1/2 box pudding. When frosted,sprinkle the whole thing with coconut.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 AM

4,389 posts, read 9,807,127 times
I remembered another one for yellow cake mix that is great in the fall. Just add cinnamon to the batter (I add lots) you dont need the sugar stuff, just plain ground. You can add it to your frosting as well. I feel my hips getting bigger just reading thru this site

Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
miu

12,955 posts, read 21,492,877 times
Sara Lee has a wonderful walnut cake that has a yellow cake base. Their description of the cake is:
"Three layers of walnut cake topped with real whipped cream and chopped walnuts."

So just add some chopped walnuts to the cake batter and save some for the topping. The frosting was whipped cream. I used to love to eat this cake right out of the freezer. The frozen whipped cream is like ice cream.

Last edited by miu; 10-14-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 11:01 AM

520 posts, read 1,162,386 times
I like to make crumb cake using a box of yellow cake mix. I wish I had a box in the house now. I could really go for any cake at this point

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM

13,739 posts, read 5,325,431 times
My mother used to make this a lot...it's very moist and very similar to a Tres Leches (Three Milks) Cake if you're familiar with that....

Pina Colada Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can cream of coconut (Coco Lopez is one brand)
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 can coconut flakes (small can)
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (if in a hurry, Cool Whip will work)
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Make cake in 9x13 pan. When done, poke holes throughout cake with a fork.
Mix cream of coconut and condensed milk. Sprinkle half of the coconut on the cake and then pour the milk mixture over cake. Mix whipped cream and nuts and spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM

227 posts, read 491,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
My mother used to make this a lot...it's very moist and very similar to a Tres Leches (Three Milks) Cake if you're familiar with that....

Pina Colada Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can cream of coconut (Coco Lopez is one brand)
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 can coconut flakes (small can)
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (if in a hurry, Cool Whip will work)
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Make cake in 9x13 pan. When done, poke holes throughout cake with a fork.
Mix cream of coconut and condensed milk. Sprinkle half of the coconut on the cake and then pour the milk mixture over cake. Mix whipped cream and nuts and spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
Mmmmmm, change the yellow cake mix to dark chocolate and you have a mounds cake!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:23 AM

187 posts, read 410,078 times
Lemon Cake
18 oz pkg Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
3/4 cup water
4 eggs, stirred in with beater
3 oz pkg lemon Jello
3/4 cup cooking oil

Glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Juice of 2 lemons
7 oz pkg Angel Flake coconut

Mix cake ingredients in order listed. Beat until fluffy. Add oil, mixing well. Pour into greased & floured 9x13" pan. bake 30-35 minutes in a preheated 350 oven. Remove cake from oven. Jab with a fork at 1" intervals to the bottom. Spoon the glaze mixture over warm cake. Sprinkle with coconut & serve warm.

Pea Picking Cake
Batter:
18 1/2 oz box yellow cake mix
11 oz can mandarin oranges, juice reserved
1/2 cup cooking oil
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour three 8 or 9" cake pans. Beat eggs with cake mix; add reserved juice from oranges; stir in oil & fold in oranges using mixer to break up the oranges. Bake 25 minutes. Cool & remove from pans. Can wrap layers for freezing when cooled if you want to make ahead.

Icing:
12 oz Cool Whip
20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
5 1/4 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding

Mix ingredients together & ice cooled (or defrosted) cake with mixture. Refrigerate cake after icing.

Poppy Seed Cake
18 oz pkg yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup salad oil
1/2 cup cream sherry
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup poppy seeds (make sure they're fresh)
4 oz pkg French vanilla instant pudding
4 oz pkg ground walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour tube or Bundt pan. In bowl place all ingredients; with mixer beat 5 minutes. Turn intpo tube or Bundt pan. Bake 1 hour. If desired, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over top before serving.

Homemade Twinkie Cake

Yellow cake mix, prepared in a 9x13" pan or in two 8" round cake pans. If using 9x13" pan, cut cake into 2 halves to make 2 layers. Cut 2 round cakes into 4 layers.

Filling:
5 TBl flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 stick margarine
1 tsp vanilla

Gradually add milk to flour. Cook over medium low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool. Beat rest of ingredients in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Add cooled milk mixture & beat again until fluffy. Spread filling between leayers. Store covered at least 24 hours. Do not refrigerate. Top can be sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes