Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I want to try Tyler
Florence's recipe and 1 reviewer said it was a mess cause she used Vidalia onions but she also used madiera wine which is too sweet. Another reviewer said Vidalia was just fine.
Do you think it would make any difference?

his recipe calls for red wine but others call for white wine. Which do you use.

some call for only beef broth while others mix beef and chicken. does it make any difference.?
Do you have a favorite FOS recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
I love Vidalias... sure they might be a bit sweeter and more mild but I wouldn't hesitate to use them.......I was watching Bobby Flay one time and he said Vidalia onions are the only onions to use in French Onion soup...I figure he knows what he's doing....after all he's an Iron Chef

Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I think it's a sin to cook Vidalia onions at all, but that's just me! I love them raw.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
That's the only onions I use or what ever sweet onions are in season. I hate regular yellow onions because they are too pungent to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I would think that the type of onions would make a lot less difference than the quality of the beef stock. I certainly would not hesitate to use Vidalia onions.

Except we don't get Vidalia around here, but I would use Walla Walla Sweets without any worry.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I would use vegetable broth, not chicken or beef. Onion soup is a vegetarian dish.
Use the type of onions you prefer. Too sweet might not be as good though, it really depends on what you like.
As for wine, use white. I also heard about some onion soups made with champagne, but I haven't a clue what that might taste like. Bear in mind that the true, original recipe for French onion soup did not have any wine in it. I would never put wine in mine, but that's me.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I want to try Tyler
Florence's recipe and 1 reviewer said it was a mess cause she used Vidalia onions but she also used madiera wine which is too sweet. Another reviewer said Vidalia was just fine.
Do you think it would make any difference?

his recipe calls for red wine but others call for white wine. Which do you use.

some call for only beef broth while others mix beef and chicken. does it make any difference.?
Do you have a favorite FOS recipe?
Madeira is the perfect wine but you need to use dry Madeira, called Sercial. It' makes a delightful apertif as well. If you're not using sweet onions you might try a Verdelho instead of a Sercial. It has just a touch of sweetness.

Use beef broth but do not use anything prepared. You can't fix it the way you can chicken broth. Save your scraps and make a nice stock. You won't regret it.

Now, if you wish to cheat add just a small amount of this to even the worst onion soup. But start with a tiny amount and work up.

I'm supplying two listings. The first is far more expensive per ounce but there are more reviews.

The Gracious Gourmet Balsamic Four-Onion Spread, 4-Ounce Jars (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

The Gracious Gourmet Balsamic Four Onion Spread, 76-Ounce: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Would it be terrible to use Vidalia onions in French Onion Soup?

No, they'll be just fine.

I've used both red and white wine.* That helps, doesn't it?

Some recipes for French onion soup use only water; I didn't much care for that. I find that using all beef broth is a bit much. It is, after all, onion soup and not beef soup with onions. The version with half beef broth and half water was tasty. Half beef broth and half chicken was good but, again, a bit intense. Beef broth, chicken broth and water, one third of each, worked for me too.

*Onion soup, especially onion soup made with beef broth, will definitely stand up to a red wine. Do you like red wine? Does anyone in the house drink red wine or can you use the rest of the bottle in another recipe? If not, either use white wine or skip it altogether.

I wouldn't get rid of the thyme and bay that quickly. I'd also let the soup simmer a bit longer than ten minutes.

The bread slices should be stale, baked, toasted before you drop them into the soup.

Last edited by Gerania; 11-14-2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I would use vegetable broth, not chicken or beef. Onion soup is a vegetarian dish.
Use the type of onions you prefer. Too sweet might not be as good though, it really depends on what you like.
As for wine, use white. I also heard about some onion soups made with champagne, but I haven't a clue what that might taste like. Bear in mind that the true, original recipe for French onion soup did not have any wine in it. I would never put wine in mine, but that's me.
Actually, French onion soup is made with beef stock. If someone is a vegetarian then they are free to use whatever ingredients they wish, but for someone who wants to prepare traditional and authentic french onion soup then beef stock is the way to go. Learned this many moons ago from Julia Child. And I believe she used Cognac, not champagne. If you can find the old episode of her show where she devotes the entire episode on ways to prepare and serve this one dish, it's worth watching. I'm pretty sure it's from the time when her show was still in b&w.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Julia Child and More Company Onion Soup pt. 1 - YouTube

Julia Child and More Company Onion Soup pt. 2 - YouTube

Julia Child and More Company Onion Soup pt. 3 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes