Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

I just found some huge butternut squash and at $1 each I bought three. I've really only had it as soup and would like to know if anyone else prepares this, can you share your recipes? I know I can google and find random recipes so that's really not what I'm looking for. If you make soup or something else from butternut squash, can you post your recipes, or links to ones you've used before?

I'm wondering if just baking them like you do with acorn squash would be any good - has anyone prepared them that way?

Thanks in advance, fellow food fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I've made this and it's really good. I hated making blended soups before I got an immersion blender.

Butternut Squash Soup II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I would also make a second batch, but with roasted squash, potatoes, and red bell pepper. Add the roasted vegetables before blending instead of boiling them.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have roasted it in the oven with carrots, onions and fresh whole garlic cloves.I peel the quash and remove the seeds, cube it up. Then I take a baking sheet and add 1 bag baby carrots, 1 onion cut into chunks, 5-6 whole peeled garlic cloves, squash, salt, pepper olive oil and toss. Then add 2 sprigs of rosemary on top, bake on 400 for 45 minutes.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I like to peel the squash, and slice it very thin, like potato chips. Lay the squash slices on a cookie sheet, and spray with oil. Bake at 400 until the slices are crisp and slightly brown around the edges. Sprinkle with salt while still warm.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I like to peel the squash, and slice it very thin, like potato chips. Lay the squash slices on a cookie sheet, and spray with oil. Bake at 400 until the slices are crisp and slightly brown around the edges. Sprinkle with salt while still warm.
That sounds good too.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I just found some huge butternut squash and at $1 each I bought three. I've really only had it as soup and would like to know if anyone else prepares this, can you share your recipes? I know I can google and find random recipes so that's really not what I'm looking for. If you make soup or something else from butternut squash, can you post your recipes, or links to ones you've used before?

I'm wondering if just baking them like you do with acorn squash would be any good - has anyone prepared them that way?

Baking them is an excellent way to fix them. You can use anything from butter and salt to a complicated glaze to season them with. Or fill the seed cavity with browned sausage or apples and walnuts or anything else you like.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM

48,517 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I baked them and then topped them with a brown/wild rice blend (cooked with vegetable broth), toasted pecans and fresh sage.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This is my favorite vegetable, and always part of our Thanksgiving. Peel, remove seeds and cook like you would potatoes until tender (They're a bear to peel, so I stand it on end and go top to bottom with a veg peeler), drain thoroughly, and mash with a little brown sugar, salt and butter. After it's mashed, you can keep it warm on the stove to cook away any residual water that it retains. It should be dry, like mashed potatoes, when you're done.
This is the only way I fix it. I leave the other more fancy recipes for acorn squash and others.

The Pioneer Woman just had a good sounding recipe for acorn sqash, baked in the oven, on her Thanksgiving at the Ranch show. I'm sure you could use the same method for butternut if you wanted.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I baked them and then topped them with a brown/wild rice blend (cooked with vegetable broth), toasted pecans and fresh sage.
Mmmmmm!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

I do not know if this works with butternut squash.....but it sure is yummy with acorn squash

Merritt's Butternut Squash Gratin Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes