U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM

34,230 posts, read 41,228,049 times

Advertisements

Never heard of onions that dont eventually caramelize sooner or later.try higher heat with the addition of a tablespoon of stock every now and then to prevent burning or just cook em until they do caramelize,could take an hour or more..
For the stock you may just want to go with a commercial stuff until all other aspects of the soup making process is mastered.
This is most similar to the recipe i use, bottom of page..
http://christiescorner.com/2009/11/1...ch-onion-soup/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 PM

17,464 posts, read 20,801,730 times
Try a higher heat towards the end after you have sweated the onions.They do carmelize. I have never made this soup but i's one of my favorites. I like mine made with beef broth. I might make this soon since I have a lot of onions in my fridge. I willlet you know how it turns out.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 PM

17,464 posts, read 20,801,730 times
French Onion Soup Recipe : Tyler Florence : Recipes : Food Network
French Onion Soup Recipe : Anne Burrell : Recipes : Food Network
Oh So Good French Onion Soup Recipe : Rachael Ray : Recipes : Food Network
Here's a few more recipes to try. Don't give up because it was your first time making it. I would try and make this again.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,182,962 times
I always take the easy route ...

Caramelized onions in a crockpot:

Slice many many many onions. Fill crock pot to the top. Press down and add some more. Put 1/4 to 1/2 pound of butter on top of the onions. Force the lid on tight. If it goes down easy, you don't have enough onions in there Cook on low for 12 to 24 hours. Don't open the lid to stir. Just leave it. Go to work, go to bed, whatever.

After they get brown enough for you (I had one batch that I cooked for over 24 hours), freeze in several baggies in serving size. For onion soup - add 2 cups beef broth to one baggie of onions. Nuke in the microwave. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy. Other uses - any time you need cooked onions for a dish ... just open your freezer

Old 11-17-2012, 02:13 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,543,470 times
I really appreciate all the suggestions. I think it was tyler's recipe which got me started on this in the first place.
a few mistakes I'm now aware of. One site I visited (NOLA) I think it was had me putting some tomato paste on the bones after awhile. Worried about it after I had done it not realizing this was a creole/cajun site. It turned pretty dark after awhile which i scraped off so mostly it was a waste of tomato paste. Next-and this is really embarrassing- the recipe called for 1/4 tsp sugar and I just put in a handfull thinking it said 1/4 cup! how stupid was that. no wonder it was too sweet. Also I was afraid of getting the onions too hot so I'm sure my heat was not high enough I figured the dark color on the onions was from absorbing the wine but apparently they get dark if you just cook them correctly. Live and learn.
There was a bit left over which I will doctor with some Lee and Perrins to see if that cuts the sweetness.

I'm not defeated. I love FOS and get it every time I can find it but surely wanted to learn how to make it myself. I'll keep trying. Thanks all.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,903,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I always take the easy route ...

Caramelized onions in a crockpot:

Slice many many many onions. Fill crock pot to the top. Press down and add some more. Put 1/4 to 1/2 pound of butter on top of the onions. Force the lid on tight. If it goes down easy, you don't have enough onions in there Cook on low for 12 to 24 hours. Don't open the lid to stir. Just leave it. Go to work, go to bed, whatever.

After they get brown enough for you (I had one batch that I cooked for over 24 hours), freeze in several baggies in serving size. For onion soup - add 2 cups beef broth to one baggie of onions. Nuke in the microwave. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy. Other uses - any time you need cooked onions for a dish ... just open your freezer
I'm going to give this a try. I can think of a lot of uses for caramelized onions, especially when all you have to do is thaw .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or