U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times

Advertisements

I looked at dozens of recipes, watched a few videos, including julia Child , sent DH to buy bones and regular onions since all I had was vidalia and followed the recipe and spent all day making it and it didn't work out right.

I cooked the bones -not much meat on them- and some veggies for a few hours then cooked them in the pot with more veggies, seasonings,water, some red wine for several hours. But I think I made the mistake with the onions. I chopped up 6 yellow onions and cooked them down for over 2 hours with butter. Some recipes said this is the most important step. I never could get them really brown. I added a bit of sugar to carmelize them (a few recipes suggested this) and they still didn't get brown, finally I added flour and red wine but they never did get really brown. I toasted the french bread so it was hard then melted guyrere cheese-that stuff is expensive- under the broiler and then placed it on top of the soup rather than try to run soup and crouton and cheese under the broiler. I also put toasted bread on the bottom as well.

It was too sweet. Some recipes say use white wine, some say red wine.
I'm wondering if I wasted a whole day on making my own broth. I still have plenty I froze in ice cube trays and I plan on using it later.

Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,418,535 times
The caramelization of the onion is the most important process in this receipe to get that earth complex flavor.

I have also found red onions work best for a french onion soup and dip for me. I never add sugar.

Use a regular stainless steel pan, get oil up to just smoking, toss in onions and add salt, stir until they start to stick to pan and turn brown, turn down heat a little so they dont burn. This is important you can't walk away and let simmer. You need to stand and continue you to stir while they brown, WHEN they really start sticking to pan add a little red wine to deglaze as you continue to stir every once in a while. When you get a nice dark brown color your done.

I cook mine in a little olive oil and toss in some butter when they have browned about half way.

Sounds like you didnt get past the sweating process but just sweated them for two hours.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM

782 posts, read 935,896 times
Yeah, I second the "no sugar for the onions" based on what you said. Onions are naturally sweet. Now if I am making just sauteed onions to serve with a steak or something I might sometimes use a touch of sugar, but not for this sort of earthy recipe ever.

Follow bulldogdad's advice above and you should be good.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,913,436 times
You didn't mention what kind of vegetables you used when making the stock. Carrots will sometimes make it too sweet. The type of wine might have caused the sweetness also.

To caramelize the onions, I start by sweating them down in a mixture of butter and vegetable oil with the lid on. When they get soft and buttery yellow, I remove the lid, turn up the heat, add just a bit of sugar, and let them caramelize.

I can't imagine what happened with your onions, unless maybe it was a heat factor .

Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,882,815 times
Red onions??

Why have I never tried that??
Sounds perfect, so naturally sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The caramelization of the onion is the most important process in this receipe to get that earth complex flavor.

I have also found red onions work best for a french onion soup and dip for me. I never add sugar.

Use a regular stainless steel pan, get oil up to just smoking, toss in onions and add salt, stir until they start to stick to pan and turn brown, turn down heat a little so they dont burn. This is important you can't walk away and let simmer. You need to stand and continue you to stir while they brown, WHEN they really start sticking to pan add a little red wine to deglaze as you continue to stir every once in a while. When you get a nice dark brown color your done.

I cook mine in a little olive oil and toss in some butter when they have browned about half way.

Sounds like you didnt get past the sweating process but just sweated them for two hours.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,597,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I looked at dozens of recipes, watched a few videos, including julia Child , sent DH to buy bones and regular onions since all I had was vidalia and followed the recipe and spent all day making it and it didn't work out right.

I cooked the bones -not much meat on them- and some veggies for a few hours then cooked them in the pot with more veggies, seasonings,water, some red wine for several hours. But I think I made the mistake with the onions. I chopped up 6 yellow onions and cooked them down for over 2 hours with butter. Some recipes said this is the most important step. I never could get them really brown. I added a bit of sugar to carmelize them (a few recipes suggested this) and they still didn't get brown, finally I added flour and red wine but they never did get really brown. I toasted the french bread so it was hard then melted guyrere cheese-that stuff is expensive- under the broiler and then placed it on top of the soup rather than try to run soup and crouton and cheese under the broiler. I also put toasted bread on the bottom as well.

It was too sweet. Some recipes say use white wine, some say red wine.
I'm wondering if I wasted a whole day on making my own broth. I still have plenty I froze in ice cube trays and I plan on using it later.

Anybody have any ideas?
"Spoup" is often disappointing, and sometimes hits the fan.
Just having fun! Couldn't resist!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:47 PM

15,189 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
You didn't mention what kind of vegetables you used when making the stock. Carrots will sometimes make it too sweet. The type of wine might have caused the sweetness also.

To caramelize the onions, I start by sweating them down in a mixture of butter and vegetable oil with the lid on. When they get soft and buttery yellow, I remove the lid, turn up the heat, add just a bit of sugar, and let them caramelize.

I can't imagine what happened with your onions, unless maybe it was a heat factor .
This is exactly how I cook mine, and it works every time. I only need to cook them about 20 minutes for them to caramelize beautifully. I prefer Vidalia onions, but also use yellow or Spanish onions. Definitely important to use butter - this also adds to the flavor. Other than a bit of brandy or wine, I season with salt and pepper and a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce. I think the OP got a bit too complicated with it when it did not need to be.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,945,676 times
*joke alert*

My French Onion Spoup was a bit disappointing
...next time, don't put P in the soup.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,418,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
*joke alert*

My French Onion Spoup was a bit disappointing
...next time, don't put P in the soup.
Actually that's extra P. Tends to come out a little to salty.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,597,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Actually that's extra P. Tends to come out a little to salty.
We are willing to take your word for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or