U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,927,666 times

Advertisements

I have a 4# duck, need some receipe suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
Karen Black, the B-Movie queen, suggests roasting a duck in a baking pan in a slow oven at 350 degrees, 15 mins per pound as usual, sprinkled with allspice and nutmeg and with a cinnamon stick inside, basted in its own juices. Served with long gran & wild rice.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM

9,536 posts, read 10,847,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Karen Black, the B-Movie queen, suggests roasting a duck in a baking pan in a slow oven at 350 degrees, 15 mins per pound as usual, sprinkled with allspice and nutmeg and with a cinnamon stick inside, basted in its own juices. Served with long gran & wild rice.
I roast ducks exactly as I roast chicken or turkey with excellent results. I don't use allspice, nutmeg, or cinnamon or other spices like that. Just make a nice bread stuffing as you would for other fowl and stuff the duck. That duck fat will make it delicious. Slather the duck with very soft butter (I use a basting brush) and preheat your oven to 550; place the duck in it on a center rack or a little higher if you have clearance and immediately turn the temperature down to 325.

Fix some gravy and mashed potatoes as well as spaetzle. Red cabbage and sauerkraut are great side dishes.

The scariest scene in a movie I've seen featured Karen Black in Burnt Offering. It's not a Christmas movie.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:56 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I roast ducks exactly as I roast chicken or turkey with excellent results. I don't use allspice, nutmeg, or cinnamon or other spices like that. Just make a nice bread stuffing as you would for other fowl and stuff the duck. That duck fat will make it delicious. Slather the duck with very soft butter (I use a basting brush) and preheat your oven to 550; place the duck in it on a center rack or a little higher if you have clearance and immediately turn the temperature down to 325.

Fix some gravy and mashed potatoes as well as spaetzle. Red cabbage and sauerkraut are great side dishes.

The scariest scene in a movie I've seen featured Karen Black in Burnt Offering. It's not a Christmas movie.

Now, when I'm stuffing a duck I would use brown rice cooked in orange juice and tossed with chopped mixed berries (including cranberries -- it's practically Christmas for pete's sake), chopped apples and chestnuts, plus the spices. Dousing that mixture in duck fat as it bakes would truly be a meal fit for a king.

Funny how you never see Karen Black fixing food in a movie. Maybe it's because she's too busy fleeing a maniac with a knife? Anyway, I got that recipe from a collection cookbook called It Came From The Kitchen. It has all the favorite recipes of B-movie actors -- even Bela Lugosi's favorite cabbage rolls!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Thanks...I like the stuffing ideas. The last duck I made didn't turn out too good, skin wasn't crispy, I can see that my temp was not hot enough to begin with!

Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,506,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Thanks...I like the stuffing ideas. The last duck I made didn't turn out too good, skin wasn't crispy, I can see that my temp was not hot enough to begin with!
You need to have the fat render for a crispy skin. This is basically how I do it. The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 AM

336 posts, read 281,519 times
This is one of the things I love about Vietnam. Anytime I want I can go to a nearby corner and buy fresh roast duck, with all the (Vietnamese) fixings. These are range-fed ducks with dark meat and not the fat like you find in the States. It costs me a buck fifty.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Well, last year I bought a frozen duck in a Vietnamese store. It was very reasonable. I got it home, defrosted it and what a shock, it had a head and feet on it! Yikees, I managed to handle it, but, I'll pass next time.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 PM

9,536 posts, read 10,847,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Here's a nice side dish for duck. If you don't have juniper berries on a bush in your yard or aren't convenient to a specialty store amazon has them. You could also leave them out. If you make bread stuffing this will give you a sweet side dish reminiscent of the sweetness of more common duck stuffings. This is a typical sauerkraut for duck, etc. You can vary propoportions and add other ingredients to your taste as you make it.

Bavarian Sauerkraut Recipe | Simply Recipes

TASTE Specialty Foods Juniper Berries, 10-Ounce Plastic Container: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM

26,844 posts, read 5,734,370 times
Just dropping in to ask a question...of you duck chefs (I don't eat it so don't cook it of course).

What is duck confit
and why is it on every menu I see right now?? (in my area)

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes