Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times

Advertisements

I've had a lot of fun over the years taking family-sized recipes and scaling them down to serve one or two people. I also like making small appetizers to feed a crowd and mini, bite-sized desserts (like cheesecakes, pies, etc.,) so people can have a taste of several of them. Also, they freeze really well and are handy!

Does anyone else do this? Do you have a recipe for tiny meals, appetizers or desserts that you could share? So many more people are single these days. The excuse I hear many of them making for why they don't cook is because they don't know how to cook for just one person.

Let's help them out! (I'll post my ideas and recipes, too. Just have to get them first.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
YES, I do this too! Much more fun...

I'll get back here with more later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I've had a lot of fun over the years taking family-sized recipes and scaling them down to serve one or two people. I also like making small appetizers to feed a crowd and mini, bite-sized desserts (like cheesecakes, pies, etc.,) so people can have a taste of several of them. Also, they freeze really well and are handy!

Does anyone else do this? Do you have a recipe for tiny meals, appetizers or desserts that you could share? So many more people are single these days. The excuse I hear many of them making for why they don't cook is because they don't know how to cook for just one person.

Let's help them out! (I'll post my ideas and recipes, too. Just have to get them first.)

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I've made mini meat loafs, using muffin tins. I think a mini pot pie would be good, too. I like making pizza but not a whole pie. It gets dried out before I finish it off and it takes days to eat. I now make mini pizzas, using pita bread for the crust. I really like the pineapple and ham combination.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
i do mini quiches . I take a whole pie crust and defrost it and cut up the pie crust and put pieces in a muffin tin and add beaten eggs and cheese and some seasonings . This makes great appetizers and or mini meals with a salad or some kind of veggie or soup . I love the idea of mini pizzas that is an awesome idea .

Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
I'll be watching this thread as I love mini food. Not only is it easier to portion control but it's also adorable.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 PM

I haven't made them in a while but here's a little appetizer I like.

Bacon wrapped dates

Cut bacon strips in half or thirds. Remove the pit from the date and stuff it with an almond. You can use either roasted or raw (I would blanch the raw almonds first)

Wrap the date with the bacon piece and secure with a toothpick. Place them on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Half way through baking, turn them over so the bacon cooks evenly. They're done when the bacon is looking crispy. Drain on a paper towel and enjoy. Make extra because these will be the first to go.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
This is a skill I wish I had. I only know how to make army-sized batches of everything, and reducing the amount generally defeats me.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

311 posts, read 467,210 times
I've made pumkin bread, in mini loaves, instead of 1 big one. I also do the same with muffins(store bought mix or homemade) and put them in mini cupcake/muffins tins. Pot pie is really good in onion soup crocks. I fill them with chicken pot pie filing..but a crust on top and bake. The perfect size and we don't over eat. I have also made chicken cordon bleu and slice them, for appetizers. HereOnMars....those bacon wrapped dates sound GREAT!!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Sorry to be away for awhile. Crazy busy, crazy tired. Haven't forgotten though! Will definitely return with fun ideas!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Here's a good one

Prosciutto Palmiers

Ingredients

1 pkg puff pastry sheets, thawed
1/3 lb thinly sliced Prosciutto (or more if needed)
3/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
spicy brown mustard

Roll one sheet of pastry slightly on lightly floured surface. Spread generously with mustard, sprinkle with half the cheese and cover surface with slices of prosciutto.

Starting on the long side, roll tightly to center (in a jellyroll fashion). Roll the other long side to the center as well. Return to the refrigerator to chill to make cutting easier. Works best when it's cold

Slice into 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices and place cut-side down on parchment-lined baking sheet. Don't use waxed paper ... parchment only. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot (keep warm in low oven)

Repeat same process with second sheet or use one sheet at a time, depending on how many people you want to feed. One sheet will yield 15 -16 slices.

You can make these ahead and freeze before baking. Just wrap in plastic wrap, place in a zip-loc bag and freeze. Remove a few slices at a time or as many as you think you'll need. Place the frozen slices on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake in a 425 degree oven, increasing your cook time by a minute or two (because they are frozen).

Pretty darned good appetizer or mini meal, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes