Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM

10,039 posts, read 17,998,470 times

Advertisements

I usually bake a few dozen low-fat and fat-free muffins once a month or so and freeze them, then have 3 for breakfast every day (or 2 and I take one with me to eat just before my first class of the day) -- this keeps me from buying donuts, which are a HUGE weakness of mine! I still like the muffins but I am getting bored even with all the different flavors. What are your favorite breakfast menus/recipes that are fairly quick (and/or could be frozen and heated up in the microwave), RELATIVELY nutritious (i.e., no donuts or bacon, as much as I love both!), and about 350-500 calories? (I've seen some "breakfasts" with 200 calories -- I would be starving an hour later! I prefer to have more of my calories/fat EARLY in the day rather than, for example, in a late dinner.)

I am open to just about anything -- homemade breakfast burritos, other egg dishes (or egg white dishes), breads, etc. I do think that I should probably get more protein for breakfast, but the muffins have always just been so easy and tasty, I got in a "rut" making them. I do like cereal but more for a snack before bed if I am hungry -- I don't find it filling enough for breakfast, and I ALWAYS have coffee at breakfast and don't think it goes well with cereal!

I usually have lots of different meats/poultry, bacon bits (for scrambled eggs/egg whites), tortillas, naan, eggs & egg whites, various fruit (including some frozen), etc. on hand.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,829,998 times
This is my absolute favorite breakfast recipe. You can put it together the night before, refrigerate and then bake in the morning. I like to bake in individual serving casseroles and freeze, then take them out one at a time as needed to heat in microwave.

If you don't like blueberries you could substitute other fruit.

Note: be sure to use old fashioned oats, not instant or quick.

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

Bake 400°F 40 mins

2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup steel-cut oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups almond milk or milk
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In a large mixing bowl stir together rolled oats, oat bran, steel-cut oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Stir together milk, egg, applesauce, oil, and sugars; add to oat mixture, stirring until combined. Turn into a lightly greased casserole
3. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir mixture. Gently fold in blueberries. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes more or until top is lightly browned. Spoon into bowls.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,788,968 times
I used to make these spinach and egg cups in a muffin tin. They freeze well and there are lots of different versions of the basic recipe. If you google South Beach Diet egg cups you'll find them.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM

50,179 posts, read 63,651,524 times
Keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge to grab and go. Also cheese. Muffin are nothing but empty calories and sugar.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Lowfat yogurt, a banana and a small handful of almonds. Easy and healthy.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM

17,193 posts, read 16,347,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I used to make these spinach and egg cups in a muffin tin. They freeze well and there are lots of different versions of the basic recipe. If you google South Beach Diet egg cups you'll find them.
I've made those, too. Very good. I also did a version in a casserole dish with broccoli, egg whites and low fat cheese.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Alas, I don't like yogurt (except in cooking) or hard-boiled eggs (and those sound like very few calories for breakfast, which is not my goal). Missik999, I will try your recipe, it sounds good. Spinach and egg cup sounds tasty but again probably again too few calories -- although I could add fresh fruit.

I will rep you all, thanks for replying!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Alas, I don't like yogurt (except in cooking) or hard-boiled eggs (and those sound like very few calories for breakfast, which is not my goal). Missik999, I will try your recipe, it sounds good. Spinach and egg cup sounds tasty but again probably again too few calories -- although I could add fresh fruit.

You could substitute something else for the yogurt (cheese cubes maybe?). But the thing is, the nutrition in that kind of breakfast will stay with you longer than a few muffins. And it's not really "very few" calories at all:

low-fat yogurt (100 calories +/-)
banana (100 calories +/-)
25 raw almonds (165 calories)

That puts you at 365 calories. A lot of bang for the buck though. Especially since you mentioned needing more protein.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM

50,179 posts, read 63,651,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Here's the thing, though. It's the quality of the calories and the food value that counts. You can give your body 600 calories of flour and sugar, and get all flabby and doughy, or 200-300 calories of protein or complex carbs and you won't be hungry in 2 hours.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's the thing, though. It's the quality of the calories and the food value that counts. You can give your body 600 calories of flour and sugar, and get all flabby and doughy, or 200-300 calories of protein or complex carbs and you won't be hungry in 2 hours.
The 3 muffins together are about 400 calories, and they don't leave me hungry in 2 hours (one of them is oat bran). I do get a lot of protein at other meals but figured it was probably a good idea to get more protein at breakfast.

Honestly, 200-300 calories for breakfast would leave me very hungry in an hour or two, no matter what that breakfast consisted of. I usually eat 2,000 calories a day without gaining weight, so only 10-15% for breakfast is very little.

I rep'd everyone and do appreciate the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes