U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,125,570 times

Advertisements

looking for soup recipes without all the added salt.also cream based without all the cream..vegetarian recipes ok too....cream of pumpkin, broccoli, vegetable, etc.....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 6,528,840 times
its easy to make soup without salt - just don't add it in or use any ingredients high in sodium.

as for the cream issue,

are you talking about using low fat milk or soy milk or something like that as a substitute?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,852,946 times
Potatoes or rice thrown into soups and cooked along, then the soup pureed, once everything is tender, makes a nice creamy consistency without cream added. I once knew a professional caterer who would very slowly add dried instant mashed potato flakes to thicken up a soup that she wanted thick & creamy & chunky but without cream.

To reduce the amount of salt added, try using chopped celery and lemon juice in your soups. Both of these do a lot to enhance the other flavors of the soup pot. It won't get rid of the need for salt altogether but it will help.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,955,447 times
One of my favorite really creamy soups is cream of cauliflower - it takes no cream but when you blend it, it is thick and creamy. Lots of recipes on the web. You can make it with celery, garlic, onions, carrots and then just blend away....as a garnish sauted sliced mushrooms are great in it as are roasted potatoes...you could add chicken, etc....a low fat creamy soup packed with vegetables and flavor that you can then add lots of things to.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,167,874 times
Red Pepper Dynamite Soup

Ingredients:
2 or 3 large red bell peppers
2 large garlic cloves (optional if you don't care for the taste of garlic)
1 tsp margarine
1 900 ML Chicken Broth (separated) (low sodium works too)
2 large stalks celery cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups raw spinach or bagged, mixed salad greens (optional)
1/2 package of Philadelphia (or other brand) cream cheese (low fat works too)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup cream or milk

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese-optional
bacon bits-optional

Cut the red bell peppers into 2-3 inch strips and roast both sides on your BBQ (med-high) until skin side blisters and turns partially black.
Let the peppers cook, then peel off the skin. (scraping with a knife works great) Set aside.
***If you don't want to bother roasting the peppers on the BBQ, fry them in a bit of oil until they are soft. Leaving the skin on just adds fibre to this soup.****

Slice garlic cloves into thin strips and fry for a few minutes until golden in a large frying pan. Add the raw vegetables (except for the BELL PEPPERS) and pour in enough broth to cover, and boil gently until soft.
While the vegetables are cooking pour 1 cup chicken broth into a med-large sauce pan, heat on low, add half a package of cream cheese and melt. Remove from heat.

Pour cream cheese/broth mixture and cooked vegetables into blender or food processor and blend until fine. Pour back into saucepan, add 2 tablespoons tomato paste and 1/2 cup cream (or milk) and the remainder of the chicken broth from the container.

Blend the bell peppers in processor, add them and the (optional) shredded mozzarella cheese Stir, heating on low, (do not boil) and serve with heated bacon bits.

***substitute red peppers with broccoli or cauliflour (omit roasting on BBQ) if you'd prefer****

Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM

459 posts, read 646,613 times
I just made this Tomato-Basil Soup from Cooking light and my husband (who loves tomato soup) and I (who previously did not like tomato soup) both loved it. It uses low-fat milk and reduced fat cream cheese so it is light on the cream.

Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,471,469 times
I've been making a delicious baby portobello mushroom soup this winter. Just made a pot last night.

I used approximately 12 oz. of baby portobello mushrooms. Costco now carries 24 oz package, so I used half of that.

Chop the mushrooms. Chop half an onion & 3 cloves of garlic.

Saute all 3 in a little olive oil.

When tender, push veggies to the side of saute pan, add 1 T. whole wheat flour in center. Whisk into mixture.

Repeat with 1 more T. flour. Then repeat with 1 more T. flour.

Add rice milk (I added enough to make a soup mixture) Whisk. Heat to thicken & serve.

We find it delicious!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,129,745 times
One trick we use to give a creamy mouth-feel to soup without all the fat is to use fat-free evaporated milk. It's condensed down to be thick and silky, but there's no actual fat to it.

This assumes, of course, that your family is able to digest dairy foods, which I know is a problem for some folks. If that is the issue, the other suggestions upthread would be better to try.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,344,556 times
You can replace the cream in any cream soup by adding potatoes, then when they are boiled up tender, just mash them with a potato masher. That's the "cream" base of traditional corn chowder. Add some corn, red pepper slices and onion flakes and you're good to go. Out on the ocean, Cod fishermen make fish chowder using water and layers of cracker between the fish fillets and onions.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM

9,573 posts, read 10,917,875 times
A cream soup requires cream; but it needn't be all that much. In fact, too much cream can overwhelm other tastes. Last night I made some potato and leek soup. I began by sauteing the leeks in a bit of butter and finished by adding heavy cream. But the soup only required a tiny amount of cream to reach perfection. I suspect that I ended up with less total fat than I would have using "low fat" versions of the correct ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or