Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,073,466 times

Advertisements

I hadn't made Escalloped Onions for a long time so I thought I would make some last night. And, they turned out really good. I thought some people might want this super easy recipe.

Escalloped Onions

3 Large Onions, sliced fairly thinly (I cut mine in quarters and sliced) - you can add as many onions as you want.
1/3 cup margarine
Salt and pepper (I also added a bit of Cajun Seasoning)
1 teaspoon chopped dried chives
Italian Bread Crumbs

Melt the margarine and add the onions, salt and pepper and dried chives and cook the onions using medium heat only until they are soft but not brown (putting a lid on these help to keep them from browning, but watch them and if they brown a bit it won't hurt). Put the onions in a sprayed/buttered casserole dish and sprinkle with Italian bread crumbs (I put only a thin layer on) and dot with margarine. Cook at 375 until brown on top.

I really like to use Vidalia for this but sweet yellow would be my second choice....I don't like to use really strong tasting onions for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,683,418 times
Wow, nice and simple, too. Thanks! Now, when you say Italian bread crumbs, are those with Italian seasoning built in or are they crumbs made from Italian bread?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wow, nice and simple, too. Thanks! Now, when you say Italian bread crumbs, are those with Italian seasoning built in or are they crumbs made from Italian bread?

I used Italian bread crumbs with the seasoning ... I think I bought them at Walmart.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,683,418 times
Always good to meet a fellow can-opener gourmet...

Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 PM

7,240 posts, read 9,217,792 times
Can this be made a day ahead and reheated?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Can this be made a day ahead and reheated?

I don't know.....imagine you could cook the onions and put them in the casserole and put in the refrigerator...and then add the bread crumbs on top the day you heat it up. I don't think it would affect the taste.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM

271 posts, read 598,056 times
Oh this really looks good. Going to do it tomorrow. No chives though so going to try it with maybe dried rosemary or oregano.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM

20,821 posts, read 28,150,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I hadn't made Escalloped Onions for a long time so I thought I would make some last night. And, they turned out really good. I thought some people might want this super easy recipe.

Escalloped Onions

3 Large Onions, sliced fairly thinly (I cut mine in quarters and sliced) - you can add as many onions as you want.
1/3 cup margarine
Salt and pepper (I also added a bit of Cajun Seasoning)
1 teaspoon chopped dried chives
Italian Bread Crumbs

Melt the margarine and add the onions, salt and pepper and dried chives and cook the onions using medium heat only until they are soft but not brown (putting a lid on these help to keep them from browning, but watch them and if they brown a bit it won't hurt). Put the onions in a sprayed/buttered casserole dish and sprinkle with Italian bread crumbs (I put only a thin layer on) and dot with margarine. Cook at 375 until brown on top.

I really like to use Vidalia for this but sweet yellow would be my second choice....I don't like to use really strong tasting onions for this.
This recipe is similar to one I made but I used butter to saute the onions, added cream of chicken soup, swiss cheese and layers slices of French bread on top and baked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes