Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times

Advertisements

I had a delicious Cream of Mushroom soup made entirely dairy free with just cashews. I made a butter chicken recipe using an Indian recipe mix and it suggested in pulverizing cashews with a bit of water and add to thick and round out the flavors of the spices.

It pureed super smooth in my magic bullet and you could not taste it at all in the butter chicken. But it did thicken and rounded out the flavors very well. I am going to keep on hand some raw cashews and try it in other recipes as I rarely have cream on hand.

Other than canned milks or using milk and thickener, what other things do you use to replace cream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:56 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Honestly, I have never substituted anything for cream - if a recipe calls for it, I'll go purchase it. That's more by virtue of my ignorance as to what would even WORK as a substitute, as well as my tendency to put together recipes by the exact directions the first few times - then I might branch out and try new things with it. My family recipes as a rule never required cream so using it now doesn't really come up with any regularity, but even when making something new, I won't substitute until I'm very comfortable making it as the directions say. THEN I might try something new with it.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I never replace cream...real cream is delicious! And it's low carb with only 6.6 carbs per CUP (I only use a tablespoon or 2 in my weekend coffee - weekday coffee is black).

Cashews, on the other hand, have 9 g carbs per ounce, with only 0.9 g of fiber, so a net 8 carbs per ounce.
Almonds, for comparison, have 6 g carbs per ounce, with 3.5 g of fiber, so a net 2.5 g carbs per ounce.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I don't replace for carbs or whatever. It's just to use what's on hand.

If it was the main ingredient, of course I won't sub it out. But for a slight creaminess to a spicy dish such as Butter Chicken, I used it and it was fantastic. The recipe was actually the one that said to use cashews OR cream. I never knew it could be a sub in some dishes so I am going to try it. It's only food.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
There's a vegan restaurant here that makes a faux "cheese" out of cashews, and nut "milks" are regularly sold as dairy substitutes, so it makes sense to me.

For myself, I am super pro dairy, and don't replace cream with anything. I would toss in nuts and seeds to impart a certain texture, though, sure.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I always replace cream with more cream. However, we will use evaporated milk in a pinch.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I always replace cream with more cream. However, we will use evaporated milk in a pinch.
This^^. Evaporated milk works--I buy cream if I think about it, but I keep a can or two of evaporated milk just in case.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
This^^. Evaporated milk works--I buy cream if I think about it, but I keep a can or two of evaporated milk just in case.
For shelf stability, Trader Joe's carries boxed whipping cream that doesn't require refrigeration. I always keep one or two boxes on hand in case I run out of the cream I keep in the fridge.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I had a delicious Cream of Mushroom soup made entirely dairy free with just cashews. I made a butter chicken recipe using an Indian recipe mix and it suggested in pulverizing cashews with a bit of water and add to thick and round out the flavors of the spices.

It pureed super smooth in my magic bullet and you could not taste it at all in the butter chicken. But it did thicken and rounded out the flavors very well. I am going to keep on hand some raw cashews and try it in other recipes as I rarely have cream on hand.

Other than canned milks or using milk and thickener, what other things do you use to replace cream?
Like Dirt Grinder, I'm a cream on cream type. I've seen most of the subs in soup: potatoes, cauliflower, beans. Aren't you transitioning to vegetarianism or veganism?

Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
My vegan daughter turned me on to this trick. She gave me a fantastic kale soup recipe with garbanzo beans that starts with "cashew cream". It's REALLY good!! (And I LOVE butter and cream.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes