Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

A friend sent me this and it is insane and oh so good and easy!!!!

The following recipe is for any of you who have ever wanted - "just a little piece of cake or something" at 10 PM, and have too much sense to make a whole cake. It's also for anyone who has little kids that you are looking to entertain with a "fun let's make this dessert." Or for anyone with a husband who complains "what no dessert???"

The recipe allows you to have the ingredients on hand, and the finished product ( a little sponge cake) in a minute - plus cool down time.

Required:
1 box of any brand cake mix - any flavor, white, yellow, fun-fetti, whatever.
1 box of any brand Angel Food cake mix (the angel food cake is the key to this recipe)
1 gallon size ziploc bag
1 microwave safe mug - (not a tall thin one, more of a standard "squat" one)
1/3 cup measuring cup
1 tbs measuring spoon
1 tooth pick

Optional:
1 re-sealable can of premade frosting
any fruit or berries you like
sprinkles
whip cream
Directions:
Pour both cake mixes into one ziploc gallon bag. Close the bag and then shake! Shake up the cake mixes until they are so well mixed that you can't tell that there are two mixes in there. It should look like one mix. (This mixture can be kept in the fridge or a tight container and used as you want it)
Take 1/3 cup of cake mixture and put it in a microwave safe mug. Add 3 tablespoons of water. Mix it up so that it’s all smooth and there are no clumps. (make sure you scrape the bottom of the mug to get all the mix moist.) You do not need to use butter or PAM on the cup.
Next Microwave for 1 minute on high. The cake should be done, but since microwaves differ in power, you can test by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake to see if it comes out dry.
If you put two mugs in at one time it may take longer.
At this point your cake is done, and just needs to cool down. I run a knife around the side and turn it out onto a plate, but you can eat it right out of the cup. Plain or with toppings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Get out! That's it? It sounds like too much fun! It's a great way to portion control too, assuming you don't go back and make seconds.

I wish I had the mixes on hand. I would love to try it right now.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Get out! That's it? It sounds like too much fun! It's a great way to portion control too, assuming you don't go back and make seconds.

I wish I had the mixes on hand. I would love to try it right now.
I didn't give it much hope but I was wrong it is really fun and very light as a result of the angel food mix.

I am anxious to see what you think!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,088,778 times
I've been using that for quite a while.....posted it as shown below not long ago.....it works....I mix it up and give others part of the mix as it make a ton. The amounts of my recipe vary just a bit from the OP's.

What's Your Latest: Why Didn't I know This Tip/Trick Years Ago?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
^^I knew I had JUST read this somewhere else!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I have had something similar to that before and YES it worked when I tried it.
Thanks for posting this recipe

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Dr Oetker (don't know if you have that brand in the US?) has come out with a Mug Cake mix available in caramel and chocolate flavours. All you do is butter or spray a mug, dump in the mix and add a 1/4 cup milk and microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds, and voila, a delicious warm cake. I like the chocolate. Not so crazy about the caramel cake - caramel cake just doesn't seem right somehow.

Dr. Oetker :: Mug Cake- Chocolate Sensation

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Would the microwave method work if I used only Angel Food, to make it lower calorie?

Edit: I just found a book called 101 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes! This is so cool, I had no idea you could do this.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I finally got to the store - not that I needed to go yet, I just couldn't get this silly cake off my mind. I bought plain, yellow cake mix to go along with the angel food.

IT WORKS!!! Exactly one minute was perfect in my microwave.

I bought blueberries to top it with, but shoveled it in so fast I didn't get to take the blueberries out of the refrigerator. I can't say this was the most gourmet cake I ever tasted, but it certainly hit the spot. (Oh wait... I was supposed to give it cool-down time? Ha!) The portion turned out more generous than I anticipated, too.

This is definitely my kind of "making a cake"! Thanks for the recipe.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM

it is fab for the kiddies and so fast!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes