U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,732,316 times

Advertisements

This weekend I will be hosting a BBQ for a group of extremely Southern Folk.
Being from the city, I am not very confident with myself in the Southern cooking department.
I plan on doing Burgers, Fried Chicken, and Chicken Wings. Pretty much finger foods, being that it will be outside.
I am going to use SmokyMtnGals Fried Chicken recipe (will this work the same in a "Fry Daddy" type of fryer?)
Any recipes that are your Southern Favorite for wings and Sides?

I tend to lean too much on the "healthy" side. The last party that we went to, I offered to bring something as an appetizer, veggie plate, shrimp, clams ect. Which was shot down quickly. That was ok because the food they prepared was OUT OF THIS WORLD, I could not compare.

So what is your favorite Southern Foods for a BBQ setting ?????????

Appreciate all your help.
From a country girl at heart, raised in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM

13,382 posts, read 21,932,788 times
Biscuits and gravy - succotash - home made corn bread - I would welcome all of these to go with a Southern BBQ.

If you're looking to blow your guests away with a coronary bypass-inducing dish, google Paula Deen - she makes things that are sooo scrumptious but I can feel my arteries flapping shut just watching her pile on the butter and fat.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

15,339 posts, read 27,528,142 times
q........what time and where?

I have never done fried chicken in a fry daddy/baby, etc. Let us know how it turns out.

Sides to consider: cole slaw, baked beans, potato salad or mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, green beans, corn bread and/or biscuits. Lots of sweet iced tea. Desserts are a whole 'nuther post!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,933,768 times
Qbaby,put that chicken on the grill and BBQ it.

Gotta have some corn on the cob too.

For desert some homemade nanner puddin or homemade icecream,trust me on these.

Qbaby,if you've never made nanner puddin before,I would ask one of the older women folk how to do it right.

Last edited by CabinFever; 10-25-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
Honey just a warning....if you decide to do cornbread and biscuits (hey that could be a song!!) Do not even attempt to serve store bought or something from a mix....
You will be opening yourself up for statements that start with "Bless your Heart."

Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,732,316 times
OK so far what I have come up with.........

I am doing burgers (I make a killer burger), Chicken both fried (for me, haven't had fried chic in a long time) and BBQ, chicken wings and pulled pork sandwiches.
Thinking about Baked beans, cole slaw and potato salad.
Corn on the cob sounds good also.
Its my sons B-day so b-day cake for dessert.

I would really like to make some fried green beans, fried okra and sweet corn nuggets.

Anyone have favorite recipes for these^^?
Unfortunately my oven is not working properly at this moment so I will have to by pass the breads.
Quite honestly, I have a feeling I am going to have tons of left overs, so I think I am going to keep it simple.

I will check out Paula Deen for some recipes.

I tend to cook on the healthier side-may have to adjust my ways.

Keep them coming !

Thanks All !

Old 10-25-2007, 05:58 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,705,855 times
Q....will they only like southern food????? I do have a kick**s steak tip recipe.
I always use it for company and serveover dirty rice with grilled veggies.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:00 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,104,824 times
How are you going to make pulled pork without an oven????

Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,907,213 times
I make mine in the pressure cooker. A whole pig roasted in a pit fire all day is good too.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,347,907 times
When you make that potato salad, use Duke's not anything else. DO NOT use Miracle Whip or that will start another round of "Bless your heart".

Duke's is a SOUTHERN mayo. Started here in the south (actually by a Mrs. Eugenia Duke in Greenville, SC) about 90 years ago and has NEVER had sugar in it. Go check any other mayo and it has sugar listed as an ingredient. The History of Duke's Mayonnaise (broken link) Duke's Mayonnaise - Get in on the Secret of Great Southern Cooks Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or