Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times

Advertisements

The cakes turned out wonderful and earned 60 bucks for the fundraiser. I did the wax paper trick and it worked great.

Is there a good way to liquor up a Chiffon cake? I'm thinking of making a Lemon/vodka chiffon cake but I don't know how.
Thanks again for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Bake the cake first - then, you can imbibe with your desired alcohol. Go easy at first, when I imbibe a cake I pour out a bit into a shallow small dish, and use one tablespoon at a time. I sweep the back of the spoon over the surface and tip it slightly to let the alcohol drizzle out slowly. I would not go for total saturation though, because you can end up with a disintegrated cake.

If you want the cake to have lemon flavor you can add some extract to the batter and/or some lemon zest before baking.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Bake the cake first - then, you can imbibe with your desired alcohol. Go easy at first, when I imbibe a cake I pour out a bit into a shallow small dish, and use one tablespoon at a time. I sweep the back of the spoon over the surface and tip it slightly to let the alcohol drizzle out slowly. I would not go for total saturation though, because you can end up with a disintegrated cake.

If you want the cake to have lemon flavor you can add some extract to the batter and/or some lemon zest before baking.
I'm going to try your advice next week Thank You!

Old 03-27-2024, 10:56 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
This thread inspired me to bake my first chiffon cake. I don't have an angel food pan so halved the recipe in Baking Illustrated and used one 9x5x3 pan. Didn't grease or line with paper. I cooled the pan by turning upside down with a small bowl holding each corner. After loosening the sides I let the steam from the warm cake loosen the bottom and it came free.

I cut the cake into 8 squares. Light as a cloud and delicious. I wound up eating five pieces for dinner! Then ate steamed broccoli afterward to feel less guilty.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:15 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Hi-
Calling all Chiffon Cake Chefs!

I've made some beautiful and yummy Chiffon cakes. I use a nordicwear tube pan and I hang it upside down on the coke bottle to cool completely before i depan it. I've been using a frosting spatula around the perimiter before tipping it upside down but the cake still doesn't come out perfectly clean yet; bits on the bottom of the tube pan or on the neck. Any suggestions?

***Chiffon cakes are a specialty. They are always cooled upside down and *Never*Never* use cake release product on them.
I love chiffon cakes! I haven't baked one in years. However, Spring and Summer are perfect times to savor these light delights.

The last time I made one it was in a Nordic Ware Bundt cake pan. It was lemon I think. I served it with fresh vegetables and whipped cream.
I have misplaced the recipe.

Do you have any favorite chiffon cake recipes? Would you care to share?

Old 03-27-2024, 11:20 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The last time I made one it was in a Nordic Ware Bundt cake pan. It was lemon I think. I served it with fresh vegetables and whipped cream.

I'm speechless.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Is there a good way to liquor up a Chiffon cake? I'm thinking of making a Lemon/vodka chiffon cake but I don't know how........
I would not soak any sort of liquid onto chiffon, it is very fragile. Perhaps use a liquor instead of vanilla in the batter and then put your alcohol into the icing or drizzle. You could make a lemon chiffon with a lemon vodka glaze/drizzle and a whipped cream with lemon extract added instead of vanilla.

Lemon mixed with vodka makes limoncello, right? If you make a batch of limoncello, you could use that instead of vanilla extract and also in the glaze.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:15 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'm speechless.
obviously, I meant fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes