Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,042,652 times

Advertisements

May sound so like what a salad shouldn't be - salty, bacon fat etc but an old fashioned wilted spinach salad -

baby spinach leaves - fry bacon, crumble, quick fry of some sliced red onions[not too soft], add vinegar and a little sugar. Pour over spinach - add bacon, some crumbled hard boiled eggs -- you could throw in a chopped tomato . . .it's spring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,662,927 times
green leaf lettuce, radish, tomatoes red onion with crabmeat and olive oil
sometimes either sharp or blue cheese

Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,604,458 times
Potato
Macaroni
Coleslaw
Broccoli w/bacon, walnuts and blue cheese
The Wedge

And my all time FAV:

Corn, avocado, tomato salad

Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
oh boy, this is so hard. We are huge salad eaters.. I grew up in a home that had salad every single night, if not green or as it was called then, combination, we would have fruit or cold slaw. Sometimes even spinach salad before anyone had heard of it, and of course mac or potato salad. I guess my favorite might be plain old Waldorf. I also love spinach or romaine with grapefruit, avocado, pecans and a little blue cheese. For the dressing a light citrus dressing but please not sweet.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,658,614 times
Today for lunch I'm having one of my faves: Garbanzo beans, homegrown tomatoes, feta, basil and parsely drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. I sometimes add onion or cucumber.

We also eat lots of spinach, toasted walnuts, cranberries or strawberries and either feta, gorgonzola or bleu cheese. I'll add other fresh veggies if I have them.

Carrots, apple, walnuts, salt and pepper with a dressing made of half mayo and half greek yogurt.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 AM

38 posts, read 43,191 times
My favorite salad combinations are Cucumber, tomato, onion with some added flavors on that.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,589,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Now that the weather is warming up, I like to eat more salad.

What are your favorite salads/combinations.

Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Arugula + citrus fruits + avocado with a classic vinaigrette
I really like a sliced orange or grapefruit in a salad. This combo is a good mix of sweet, tart, creamy, and bitter.

2. Fennel, oranges, and olives with mixed greens with a citrusy vinagrette: crunchy, salty, sweet, tart all in one.

3. Butter lettuce, avocado, apple, jicama, cucumber, mint, parsley. Dressing: salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil: this is super refreshing.

4. ripe summer tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, mint, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil

5. zucchini carpaccio: I've done loads of variations on this: Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome: zucchini carpaccio
replace basil with mint, arugula, parsley or tarragon. Swap the cheese for dry jack, piave or feta.

Share your fave combinations. Do you up your salad intake in spring and summer when the fresh veggies are tastier?
These sound utterly delicious ! I aodre salads and I must try some of these combinations.

I love salads and can never get enough of them , especially in summer. One of my favourites is the simplest of salads, round lettuce, sprinkled with walnuts, and a dressing of walnut oil, walnut vinegar and a little honey mustard and some herbs. Perfect with almost anything from chicken to fish and even steak.

I also often do a salad of wafer thin slices of chilled cucumber (with the skin off), sprinkled with a little sea-salt and pepper left to marinate in lightly whipped creme fraiche with a hint of fresh mint. Gorgeous on a hot summer's day and perfect for BBQs or picnics and goes really well with grilled fish.

I recently had a side salad in a cafe of very slightly pickled cauliflower which had been seared on a grill then seasoned and it was glorious ! The tanginess of the pickle with the smokiness of the grill worked really well with the sweetness of the cauliflower and I think it was one of the nicest thing I had had in a long time....

I love pretty much all salads except anything with raw celery ( I like cooked celery but raw tastes horrid to me). From really elaborate concoctions with cured hams, or artisan cheeses, warm or cold ....

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 05-09-2013 at 03:11 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,156,821 times
Cucumber salads are my favorite. The dressing is key..salt, but also either chives or dill...will either oil & vinegar and pinch of sugar, or with sour cream.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,156,821 times
I found this "Failed Economic Policy Salad" in a craft book put out by this punk/DiY woman in NYC, who supposedly collected recipes from her friends in the hardcore punk scene.

Actually sort of a bean salad, (basis is red beans) but with cilantro, tomatos, bell pepper (?), onions, cucmbers, and rice vinegar. The cilantro and rice vinegar are what gives the flavor (but i always use salt and pepper too). The salad is intended to be a cheap basic dish, but is also one of those where you can add ingredients to amp up the flavor (like feta cheese, chickpeas, etc.)

Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,521,399 times
My favorite salads tend to be ones that involve everything but the kitchen sink, but here are two of my more “restrained” ones:

Greek(ish): I know authentic Greek salads don’t involve lettuce, but that’s one of the reasons why there’s an (ish) at the end of the title! Lettuce of your choice (I usually do romaine for this), tomatoes, cucumbers, thinly sliced red onion, black olives (again, I know kalamata is “correct” but I often find them too strong, particularly in salad), feta, tossed in a lemon/garlic/oregano dressing. Adding some grilled shrimp and/or avocado is also wonderful.

The other one doesn’t have a name, but it’s baby spinach, asparagus, albacore tuna, avocado and chopped cilantro, with lime juice and a bit of olive oil if you like, plus some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Alternatively, you can skip the spinach entirely and serve the rest of it over avocado slices. It sounds weird, I know, but it’s good stuff if you like those ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes