U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,173,621 times

Advertisements

This was a huge hit at my restaurant:

Mesclun greens (or a baby greens mix)
Thinly sliced red onion
Canned artichoke bottoms
Whole pecans
Mandarin orange segments
Feta cheese

A lemon herb dressing simply combining 1/2 vidalia onion vinaigrette and 1/4 each olive oil and lemon juice. Very pretty and very tasty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:33 AM

114,161 posts, read 54,041,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I look forward to this as much as anything on Thanksgiving day! Believe me .....try it and you'll love it!

"Broccoli Casserole":

Ingredients

Minute Rice ~~ 2 cups uncooked
Broccoli Cuts ~~ Frozen ( regular size) Bag
Medium Onion~~ Chopped
Butter ~~ one stick
1 can cream of mushroom soup ~~ Campbell's Reg. size can is best!!
1 small jar Cheeze Whiz

Saute onion in butter, cook rice according to package directions, cook broccoli. Mix cooked, buttered onion, drained broccoli, cooked rice, soup and cheeze whiz and pour into a buttered baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until hot throughout.

NOTE: we always double or triple these amounts to make for large crowds.

Hope you like this as much as our family does!!
This is it! We will never have Thanksgiving without the Broccoli casserole.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,847,935 times
I have a holiday recipe that works every time:
  • Start with one warm, loving home.
  • Add as many extended family members as possible.
  • Share a round of hugs with all in attendance.
  • Listen to the sounds of a house full of family.
  • Make sure the aroma of home-cooking permeates the house.
  • Tell stories of "days gone by" to the teens.
  • Show silly magic tricks to the youngsters.
  • Look around the table and think about each individual attending as the meal is presented.
  • Remember those who are no longer with us.
  • Only bring-up positive attributes of any individuals, present or not.
And when it's over, forgive those who said the wrong things and start planning again.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 AM

114,161 posts, read 54,041,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
  • Look around the table and think about each individual attending as the meal is presented.
And when it's over, forgive those who said the wrong things and start planning again.
Nice! Highly recommend!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 AM

39,244 posts, read 18,783,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My grandmothers maids holiday rice and if anyone would like the recipe I would be glad to share it . Also she made the best creamed corn casserole yummy . I also have that one too . This woman could cook and really make something special out of ordinary food .
I would love the recipes.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
I grew up on pig roasts for Thanksgiving. lol It was luscious, flavorful and melt in your mouth. When we went to my Grandfather's house where his dinners are very traditional with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes etc etc, it tasted dry and bland to me. (we often did the pig roast the night before going to my Grandpa's) So turkey was ruined for me. Only turkey I ever came close to liking was a Cajun fried or Jamaican Jerked turkey. I asked family what they wanted this year and all wanted the jerked turkey. So Jerk it is. I am too lazy to hunt down the several hard to find ingredients to make the jerk marinade, so I will use Walker's Wood. I thin some of it out with some stock and inject the bird. I then mix a bit of the Walker's wood paste with equal parts butter and run the outside and under the skin. Finally I grill it slow with mesquite chips. It will be our third time doing it this way and it delish.rb

P.S. I would eat up before going to my grandfather's so I never complained or didn't "not" want to go. I went to enjoy time with the family. I would just take a teeny bit and cover it up with mashed potato tracks. lol

Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 PM

951 posts, read 1,436,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I look forward to this as much as anything on Thanksgiving day! Believe me .....try it and you'll love it!

"Broccoli Casserole":

Ingredients

Minute Rice ~~ 2 cups uncooked
Broccoli Cuts ~~ Frozen ( regular size) Bag
Medium Onion~~ Chopped
Butter ~~ one stick
1 can cream of mushroom soup ~~ Campbell's Reg. size can is best!!
1 small jar Cheeze Whiz

Saute onion in butter, cook rice according to package directions, cook broccoli. Mix cooked, buttered onion, drained broccoli, cooked rice, soup and cheeze whiz and pour into a buttered baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until hot throughout.

NOTE: we always double or triple these amounts to make for large crowds.

Hope you like this as much as our family does!!
Thank you! This sounds wonderful and I will follow the recipe exactly and make it for Thanksgiving. I think it will be a hit.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:16 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hmmm. You never pushed any of them into the oven. This would never work at our house.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,176,077 times
More seriously, there are three things I have to make for Thanksgiving. Baked acorn squash (with tons of butter), broccoli with cheese sauce, and fried tomatoes. The rest of the table doesn't really matter much.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM

5,247 posts, read 2,668,080 times
An excellent yet easy recipe is sherried sweet potatoes. You cook several sweet potatoes, cut them length wise in half and scoop out the insides, setting the shells aside. Take the insides and mash them (a food processor works well for this) adding butter, cream, a little salt, pepper, nutmeg and the secret ingredient sherry. After it is all blended scoop the mashed sweet potatoes back in the shell. The ratios of the ingredients are pretty forgiving, just taste as you go along and adjust, be careful about adding too much nutmeg though. You can blast them under the broiler for a bit to brown if you like or just serve. Very simple and the sherry adds a wonderful complexity to the potatoes. It's always a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes