U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,871,709 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe, North Carolina Native.

I've been excused from pie making for the holiday, and ordered to purchase them at a local bakery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM

204 posts, read 707,858 times
North CarolinaNative-on America's Test Kitchen cooking show on PBS-they said that waterless is the best way to cook sweet potatoes as the flavor intensifies. Your's sounds delicious. Happy Thanksgiving.
Jude

Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,821,091 times
Default Sweet potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
North CarolinaNative-on America's Test Kitchen cooking show on PBS-they said that waterless is the best way to cook sweet potatoes as the flavor intensifies. Your's sounds delicious. Happy Thanksgiving.
Jude
I have done this recipe in a covered casserole dish in the oven. Probably not as good but acceptable. It is not a weight watchers dish. The most flavorful healthy sweet potatoes we have ever eaten were whole potatoes done in the microwave. We put nothing whatsoever on them and they were delicious. I don't think cooking in the microwave would be practical for a large group; it was just for my dh and me.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 PM

9,483 posts, read 10,926,042 times
Default Thanksgiving Recipes?

I am in need of a new item to add to my Thanksgiving meal, and would be Thankful to all of you for your recipes. I like to do a very traditional turkey dinner, but I have appetizers an hour before I serve dinner. I always, always do deviled eggs and a veggie platter, but this year I'd like to impress. Anyone like to share?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,841,873 times
I'm trying something new this year--making pumpkin risotto and serving it in a hollowed pumpkin. Kind of fun! I saw the idea in a magazine a while ago and it stuck in my head. I am going to use to the pumpkin risotto recipe at allrecipes.com although I haven't tried it myself yet: Roast Pumpkin and Feta Risotto - Allrecipes

Initially I wanted to buy enough of those mini pumpkins to serve them in individual portions, but all I could find at this point were medium sized pumpkins so I am going to fill up two of them for either end of the table.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,805,702 times
Some PA Dutch favorites found around our table:

Chow-chow: Separately cook 1 c each celery, cucumber, bell pepper and pearl onions. Drain 1 16 oz can each corn, lima, kidney and green beans. Combine vegetables in pot. Blend 1 tsp powdered mustard, 1 ½ c cider vinegar and ¾ c sugar together. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables, mix thoroughly and boil. Cool. Refrigerate over night or longer.

Hot bacon dressing: Fry 3 slices diced bacon. Dissolve 1 Tbs flour in ¾ c very hot water. Mix ¼ c cider vinegar, three packages sweetener and one beaten egg together and combine with flour mixture. Add liquid to bacon. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, adding water as needed. Can be made several days in advance and reheated

POTATO AND BREAD FILLING
INGREDIENTS

3 medium potatoes
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 celery ribs, chopped
4 cups cubed homemade style white bread, about 10 slices
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
Preheat oven to 350° F. Generously butter a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Set aside.Cook potatoes in water until soft enough to mash. Mash and beat in milk, salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl. Melt the 8 tablespoons of butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook until just soft, about 10 minutes. Add to potatoes, using slotted spoon. Sauté bread cubes in same skillet until brown and crispy, adding more butter if needed. Transfer bread to potatoes. Add the eggs, parsley, salt and pepper to potato mixture. Mix thoroughly; transfer to baking dish. Dot the casserole with butter bits. (Casserole can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, refrigerated, and brought to room temperature before continuing.) Bake in oven until hot, about 35 minutes. Cover with foil if top browns too much.

Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets and Eggs
INGREDIENTS
8 eggs
2 (15 ounce) cans whole pickled beets, juice reserved
1 onion, chopped
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
12 whole cloves
DIRECTIONS
Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs sit in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, and peel.
Place beets, onion, and peeled eggs in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.
In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and cloves. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Pour hot liquid over beets and eggs. Cover, and refrigerate 48 hours before using.

CRANBERRY RELISH
INGREDIENTS

4 cups fresh, uncooked cranberries
1 orange, unpeeled
1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Place cranberries and orange in food processor or food grinder. Process until fine. Stir in sugar and walnuts. Combine well. Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving, stirring occasionally.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,771,632 times
The Cranberry relish is interesting...I've seen it made with apples, oranges cranberries and sugar. It is really yummy. I think I'll add the walnuts too this year, and cut down the sugar a tad.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,926,042 times
The cranberry relish sounds great, and I love the idea of serving out of a hollowed out pumpkin! Thanks so much for suggestions!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 AM

372 posts, read 1,089,554 times
We actually make Cranberry relish too, but we put the whole cranberries in a saucepan with the sugar and (forgive me, I can't remember the liquid we also add, my cookbook is now in storage with my entire house's contents!! ) But we would simmer it on the stove until the cranberries pop, then remove it, add the walnuts and let cool.

Very yummy!

Although my brother-in-law insists on the canned stuff where you can see the can lines on it!

Good luck with the feast!

Cathy

[/quote]CRANBERRY RELISH
INGREDIENTS

4 cups fresh, uncooked cranberries
1 orange, unpeeled
1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Place cranberries and orange in food processor or food grinder. Process until fine. Stir in sugar and walnuts. Combine well. Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving, stirring occasionally.[/quote]

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 AM

910 posts, read 2,675,442 times
I have no recipes but the others sound so good. I just clicked on this thread to see why it still gets to be on the board? So many others that are relevant to the area are gone and this doesnt get pushed to a cooking board?(sorry nothing personal just seems like selective enforcement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes