Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times

Advertisements

Here's the cranberry stuff I make. I hate to grind the cranberries and didn't like to make cranberry salad until years ago I went to a family dinner and my cousin's mother in law made this.....I've made it ever since. I forgot until just now that I usually make this....duh!

Cranberry Salad

Boil 2 cups cleaned cranberries and 1 cup sugar in 1 1/2 cups water until cranberries pop open. Remove from heat and add a 3 oz box of cherry jello, stirring until jello is dissolved. Pour into a casserole dish. Cool for about 15 minutes (until it starts to thicken a bit) and add a 20 oz can completely drained crushed pineapple; 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped celery; and about 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Chill until completely set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
I look forward to this as much as anything on Thanksgiving day! Believe me .....try it and you'll love it!

"Broccoli Casserole":

Ingredients

Minute Rice ~~ 2 cups uncooked
Broccoli Cuts ~~ Frozen ( regular size) Bag
Medium Onion~~ Chopped
Butter ~~ one stick
1 can cream of mushroom soup ~~ Campbell's Reg. size can is best!!
1 small jar Cheeze Whiz

Saute onion in butter, cook rice according to package directions, cook broccoli. Mix cooked, buttered onion, drained broccoli, cooked rice, soup and cheeze whiz and pour into a buttered baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until hot throughout.

NOTE: we always double or triple these amounts to make for large crowds.

Hope you like this as much as our family does!!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I look forward to this as much as anything on Thanksgiving day! Believe me .....try it and you'll love it!

"Broccoli Casserole":

Ingredients

Minute Rice ~~ 2 cups uncooked
Broccoli Cuts ~~ Frozen ( regular size) Bag
Medium Onion~~ Chopped
Butter ~~ one stick
1 can cream of mushroom soup ~~ Campbell's Reg. size can is best!!
1 small jar Cheeze Whiz

Saute onion in butter, cook rice according to package directions, cook broccoli. Mix cooked, buttered onion, drained broccoli, cooked rice, soup and cheeze whiz and pour into a buttered baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until hot throughout.

NOTE: we always double or triple these amounts to make for large crowds.

Hope you like this as much as our family does!!
Similar to my mom's recipe but no rice, however I might try this one for dinner next week because who doesn't love broccoli, cheese and rice?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Roasted root vegetables:
1 lb baby carrots
1 large onion chopped
5 cloves garlic cut in half
1 butternut squash peeled and cubed or you can buy it already cut up fresh.
3 parsnips peeled and cubed
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

Cut all the vegetable about the same size except for the carrots, leave them whole. Cut up the onion is medium sized chunks, cut garlic cloves in half. Place on a baking sheet sprinkle salt and pepper and olive oil and rosemay sprigs. Toss veggies with your hands. Place in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. After the first 20 minutes check the veggies and mix them with a spatula or slotted spoon. Veggies will be sweet and carmelized.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Similar to my mom's recipe but no rice, however I might try this one for dinner next week because who doesn't love broccoli, cheese and rice?
This came from my wife's grandmother's recipes. It's the best casserole I've ever had. You can add a bit more Cheese Whiz ...more the better.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
My grandmothers maids holiday rice and if anyone would like the recipe I would be glad to share it . Also she made the best creamed corn casserole yummy . I also have that one too . This woman could cook and really make something special out of ordinary food .

Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Crusty corn casserole

1 1/4 cups fine cracker crumbs (they come in a box)
1/2 cup melted butter (for bottom and sides of dish)
1/4 cup finely chopped green peppers
2 tbsp chopped onion
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup whole milk
1 can of corn drained well
1/2 tsp sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten

Add crumbs to melted butter, press mixture on sides and on the bottom pf a 9 inch pie plate, saving 1/4 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping. Cook pepper and onions in 2 tbsp of butter, add flour, cook until bubbly. Add milk and stir until thick. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into crust then top with remaining bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Knife should come out clean when testing.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Southern peach Yam Bake, my mom used to make this but only 2 people ate this and we don't see them anymore.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
2-17 oz cans of prince yams drained
1-16oz can of sliced peaches drained
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Combine flour, sugar and nutmeg, cut in butter until mixture resemble coarse crumbs, add nuts. Arrange yams and peaches in a 1 1/2 quart casserole, sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake on 350 ufor 35 minutes, then add marshmallows on top and broil until lightly browned.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Here's the cranberry stuff I make. I hate to grind the cranberries and didn't like to make cranberry salad until years ago I went to a family dinner and my cousin's mother in law made this.....I've made it ever since. I forgot until just now that I usually make this....duh!

Cranberry Salad

Boil 2 cups cleaned cranberries and 1 cup sugar in 1 1/2 cups water until cranberries pop open. Remove from heat and add a 3 oz box of cherry jello, stirring until jello is dissolved. Pour into a casserole dish. Cool for about 15 minutes (until it starts to thicken a bit) and add a 20 oz can completely drained crushed pineapple; 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped celery; and about 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Chill until completely set.

This sounds absolutel delicious!!
Will have to try it

Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM

311 posts, read 634,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My grandmothers maids holiday rice and if anyone would like the recipe I would be glad to share it . Also she made the best creamed corn casserole yummy . I also have that one too . This woman could cook and really make something special out of ordinary food .

Please share the recipes. I'd love to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes