U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM

460 posts, read 754,304 times
Default Which red chilies to use in recipe?

Like a lot of guys, I don't particularly like to cook. However, one can only eat so many microwave meals and take-out food, so I do end up doing some cooking myself.

I found a recipe that I would like to prepare, but am a little confused about one of the ingredients. The recipe calls for "2 red chilies, seeded and finely chopped". I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question to all of the seasoned cooks among you, but how do I choose what red chilies to use in this recipe? According to Wikipedia, a chili pepper can be anything from a red bell pepper to a habanero, jalapeno or cayenne. When I went to the grocery store yesterday, the only red things I saw in the produce area were red bell peppers and packaged dried New Mexican chilies. Maybe I need to look at another supermarket?

Here is the meal I am trying to make, if it helps: Chinese Chicken Parcels | Chinese Chicken Parcels Recipe | Easy Asian Recipes at RasaMalaysia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM

3,945 posts, read 1,768,894 times
I would use any of the small thin red chili peppers. We always seem to have at least one variety available at the grocery at any time.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM

10,873 posts, read 8,212,179 times
Chili peppers are hot. Bell peppers are not chili peppers. If you can't find small red chili peppers, you can substitute green ones.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM

24,243 posts, read 28,542,051 times
Look in the section of the produce department with small displays of specialty produce; you'll usually find long, thin, red chile there. Use that.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,520,199 times
It looks like the chilis in that recipe are fresh, not dried. Jalapeno peppers won't be as hot, but you can substitute them (leave the membrane if you want it hotter), and they're easy to find in the stores.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM

213 posts, read 115,873 times
if you like hot use a thai chilli or any pepper that is thin and small. do NOT use habaneros, it is the hottest pepper and deadly hot. i can eat very hot but even i cannot handle it. you can also use italian pepper, they are not hot but will close enough flavor. just use a bit of the tip.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Status: "Chin up things can only get better" (set 10 days ago)

9,629 posts, read 12,826,325 times
Judging from the photo, those are fresh chilies. If you like a little bit of heat, try Fresno chilies. If you like mild, feel free to use red bell peppers, which are sweet, or even some of those small sweet peppers you see on crudité platters.

The beauty of cooking things yourself is you can take a recipe from a website and make a few changes to tweak it to your preferences. No one will send the recipe police in and fine you for not using the exact ingredients, lol. Judging by the comments posted on recipe pages, lots of people take liberties. I've read ones that begin, "loved this recipe, but I replaced x with y, and I only used half as much z, and then I doubled the sassafras, etc...."

Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM

460 posts, read 754,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Chili peppers are hot. Bell peppers are not chili peppers. If you can't find small red chili peppers, you can substitute green ones.
I would not have considered a bell pepper to be a chili pepper either, until I read the article on Wikipedia about chili peppers: Chili pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to Wikipedia, one of the five domesticated species of chili peppers is
I know, you have to take what you read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt, but after reading that can you understand why I was confused about what I should use in the recipe?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my original post. I appreciate all of the info you've provided. The supermarket that I normally do my grocery shopping at has a rather limited selection of peppers and chilies. Next time I may have to try other sources if I need to get chilies for something I want to cook.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,249,236 times
Thai chili peppers can be used in almost any asian dish that requires "hot pepper" but that are not specified. Some szechuan dishes those use a dry type of pepper, and I'm not sure which type it is.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,004,356 times
I often see the thin red peppers called bird chili. And like others said, you can can use any based on your heat tolerance. You can also cheat and use a Sriracha sauce or the chili garlic sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes