U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 PM

540 posts, read 689,301 times

Advertisements

Cioppino - love the stuff and try it at most new restaurants we hit if it's on the menu. Also make it at home regularly and the contents can vary.

This one's super simple but yummy - chicken or veg broth with cheese tortellinis and fresh spinach and garlic.

And, well... I love the comfort food of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, but upgraded! I've joked with my husband that I want to do a photo book of that from all the great places we eat. Can't throw my own food into the book cause I may be a good cook when it comes to flavor, but presentation was never my strong suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,568,735 times
  • Butternut squash with ginger
  • Roasted red pepper
  • Minestrone
  • Anything Thai or Vietnamese with lots of hot pepper sauce

Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,635,036 times
onion soup
Italian wedding soup
Tom kha gai
Tom yum
real tomato soup
potato soup
I could go on and on.....

Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 PM

540 posts, read 689,301 times
Charles is right! Did our first butternut squash with ginger last fall which was the first squash soup we'd done and loved it. Have squash in the pantry right now waighting for the right weekend!

Really the Thai and Vietnamese soups but haven't done them ourselves yet.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 PM

9,658 posts, read 15,790,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
  • Butternut squash with ginger
  • Roasted red pepper
  • Minestrone
  • Anything Thai or Vietnamese with lots of hot pepper sauce

Recipie please, for the butternut squash soup!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Grandma's turkey soup:

Start with a partially eaten turkey, best found after Thanksgiving, usually around Friday night

Remove extra meat and skin, set aside

boit the thing until the bones fall apart, strain, that's your broth

add back the turkey, also, potatoes, carrots, onion

add 1-2 cans tomato soup (undiluted), some ketchup, worchester (sp) sauce

Let it simmer until potatoes are tender.

We always look forward to this more than the turkey for the holidays!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Here's a quick and easy soup:

saute onions in olive oil

then saute zuchini or yellow squash

then add canned beef broth, some canned tomatoes (along with the liquid)

several cans Great Northern Beans (drained first)

Let boil and simmer, then add a package frozen Italian meatballs

Great on a cold night and quick and easy to make

Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
Of all the soups I made last winter, this was my family's favorite. It's Alton Brown's easy recipe for Garden Vegetable Soup from the Food Network Website. I cheated and used frozen corn. And I always use canned tomatoes in soup. My favorite brand is Muir Glen Roasted Organic chopped tomatoes. That product gives a great depth of flavor to everything you put it in. More expensive than other supermarket brands, but totally worth it. One of the times I made it late in the year, I also used frozen green beans (I buy the french ones from Trader Joes). No one could tell the difference. I also made this with chicken broth once, vegetable broth once, a mixture another time. All were fine. I buy the organic broth that comes in the boxes. I'm not picky about brand, but if it's chicken, I prefer the organic. (You can buy Pacifica brand chicken broth at Costco for a reasonable price). I really don't use all that many organic things, but to my taste the chicken broth and the tomatoes are much better quality when they're labeled organic.

Garden Vegetable Soup Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,972,544 times
About the only soup I don't like is potato and leek for some bizarre reason it does not agree with me.

Some of my favourites :

Bouillabaisse
Cullen Skink
Crab chowder
Spiced Puy Lentil
Carrot and Ginger
Beef and Tomato
Moroccan spiced Chicken
Tomato and Basil
Onion and Emmental
Winter Vegetables
Chilled Cucumber and dill
Gazpacho
Broccoli and Stilton
Cauliflower
Spiced Butternut Squash

Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 AM

10,999 posts, read 17,487,206 times
I make all kinds of soups depending what I have in the crisper.. I used to favor creamy soups like butternut squash but now I prefer broth based soups.

New potato, green beans, and polish sausage chunks in a clear spicy chicken broth -- really hits the spot on a cold night.

Tortilla soup - made with chiles, zucchini, tomato, shredded chicken - served over avocado slices and under some melting jack cheese & tortilla strips -- really hits the spot on a cold night.

Tom Yum Goong - shrimp, ginger, lemon grass, lime juice, chile, those lovely canned chinese mushrooms... This is what I want when I'm sick.

Chili with lots of garnishes like cheese, sour cream, scallions and crackers -- really hits the spot on a cold night.

I'm sure more will come to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes