U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 03:24 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,244,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
No need to soak split peas - I cook them with smoked ham w/or w/out the bone, add chopped carrots and some fresh parsley, seasonings, and cook until tender. Some like to puree but I prefer chunky with lots of fresh ground black pepper. I take the ham and chop it up into little pieces after cooking and add it back into the soup.

Lentil soup can be made similarly and is just as comforting.
Using the recipes on here and I make my pea soup in the crock pot over night. Bean soups also do well in the slow cookers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM

German Sauerkraut Soup

2 carrots, 2 stalks celery, onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 beef bullion cube, 2 qts water
16 oz sauerkraut, rinsed and drained, chopped
2 tbls olive oil
Flour for roux or corn starch to thicken
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Black and red pepper to taste, parsley
lb kielbasa, sliced ” thick
1 can diced potatoes
1 can diced petite tomatoes

Add chopped vegetables and garlic in small soup pot and simmer till almost tender. Add kielbasa
liquid, sauerkraut with bouillon.. Simmer 15 mins then add potatoes, spices. Simmer hour.

I make my own sauerkraut so I had a lot and decided to make a hearty sauerkraut soup. Try adding some red pepper in it also. Good on these cold days.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,140,913 times
My family revolved around our maternal grandparents who had three daughters, one my mother. All three married and had families. Whenever one of the three had a ham, the bone would go to "Nana" and she would use it to produce a big pot of bean soup that would be shared by all. It was a real special treat we all looked forward to. Here's the recipe my wonderful cousin gave me decades after I last enjoyed it. I've made it a few times and it magical for me to see it as I remember and it tastes just as good

Bean Soup

Soak 1 lb navy beans overnight
Replace water, add hambone and water to cover beans and bone
Cook 2 hours or until beans are soft
Add 3 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
Mash beans and potatoes after potatoes are cooked
Add 1 cup chopped celery and 2 cloves minced garlic. Simmer 1 hour
Take meat off bone and return meat to soup
Add salt and pepper
(Option - add noodles during last hour)

Vegetarian option - Omit hambone - Add 1/2 cup Bacos chips (not bits) along with the celery and garlic

This is as best as we remember it, Nana and her daughters are long passed. I've made a few tweaks to it, such as I use the Bacos, I add chopped carrot to the celery and garlic and I double the recipe. I don't mash the beans and potatoes, they kind of do that to themselves. I like the beans and chunks of potato. I imagine that it might be good to mash some of the beans and return them to the soup. And I don't remember any noodles, but that was a long time ago. That might be something to try.

I always like to serve hearty bean soups with cloudy apple cider and hot crusty bread. Enjoy!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,480,292 times
We like to eat soup and chili a lot during the winter. love the crockpot and would be lost without it.
for chicken soup, I like to use legs and thighs. for a really meaty chicken soup, I use a 3 lb bag of legs/thighs. 5 cans of chicken broth, one onion, a few stalks of celery, carrots(I like to buy the matchstick carrots) and one can of diced tomatoes. I season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley and whatever else I feel like. Let simmer in the crockpot until chicken is done. break chicken into bits, add another can of broth if it is too thick! cook noodles in a separate pot and keep them separate. add noodles to bowls, ladle soup on top...yum.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,013,974 times
Here is something that I've noticed that a lot of people do not know. If you are going to put meat in your soup (or stew or casserole or whatevere), quickly brown your meat over high heat in your pan berfore you start. You can then remove the meat, set it aside, and add it later if you wish, but it makes a big difference to make your soup in a pot that the meat has already browned in. Recipes rarely mention this as one of the steps.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I just made pea soup with leftover ham bone and lots of garlic. Love it thick and meaty.

Soups are great comfort foods and in the winter there's nothing lke a simmering pot on the stove. I make veg/beef/barley, chicken noodle, chicken dumpling, pasta fagioli, minestrone, navy bean, lima bean, potato leek, french onion. I'm getting hungry.
I recently had lima bean soup and loved it. It could be my one of my favorites now. Care to share your recipe?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:19 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,154,159 times
I just made Vegetable Beef Soup last week. So good and healthy for you. Here's the recipe.

Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup

2 pounds (1 kilo) soup bones

1/2 pound cut up soup or stew meat

Beef boullion - your favorite

6-8 cups assorted vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, onions, broccoli,
zucchini, cabbage, peas and green beans.

3 cups greens, like kale or spinach, chopped up.

1/2/ cup grain such as pasta, egg or spinach noodles, shells, elbow macaroni.
Just be sure the are broken into small pieces.
White or brown rice, barley also work great. (Barley is my favorite)
If using rice use just 1/3/cup.

2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped up.

I Tbsp. salt

Fresh ground pepper to taste

1 Tbsp. dried basil or oregano
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

1.) In large pot, heat 3 qts. water.

2.) Add soup bones and cut up stew meat. Stew meat should be cut into 1/4 to 1/2 cubes.

3.) Simmer covered for 1 hour. Remove bones and cool them. Cut any meat off and return to pot
(You can also return the bones to the pot for extra flavor, but remember how many so you can fish them out later.) Remove stew meat and after they've cooled enough, cut them into smaller pices fit for a soup. About 1/2" square is about right.

4.) Add the vegetables. Don't dice everything. Cut the beans on a diagonal, carrots and broccoli in rounds etc.
It makes for a more attractive soup.

5.) Add the pasta or grain and the tomatoes.

6.) Cover and simmer for about an hour. Taste half way through and add beef bouillion as needed. One of the best ones I've found is in a jar in the soup section called "Better Than Buillion" . It really gives a great beefy flavor.

7.) Add the salt, pepper and the basil or oregano. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

This makes a lot of soup, but it freezes great!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,866,129 times
Thanks for the recipe!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM

2,598 posts, read 1,226,426 times
Default My Taco Soup Recipe

I have made this Taco Soup recipe for years, and it is soooo easy and delicious.

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can whole kernel corn (undrained)
1 can Ranch Style Beans (undrained)
1 can Ro-Tel Chilies and Tomatoes (I use the Original, not the chunky)
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup
1 and 1/2 cups water

Brown beef and onion. Drain off fat. Mix taco seasoning, corn (corn and liquid), beans (with liquid), Ro-Tel (with liquid), tomato soup, and water in soup pot. Add beef and onion mixture. Simmer 30 minutes. Serve hot with grated cheese, if desired. (I always mix up cornbread to go with this. Others eat it with tortilla chips.)

Hope you enjoy it!!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,552,519 times
Anyone have any good, quick to make low sodium soups? (no canned broths, boullion, dry mixes or salty ingredients)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes