Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,241,923 times

Advertisements

I searched and all I could find was a post for summer soups. With fall around the corner for alot of us I thought it might be fun to post recipes of our favorite soups. If there is already a post about it, could you point me to it so I can see others recipes and if not we can start this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,772,703 times
I just made pea soup with leftover ham bone and lots of garlic. Love it thick and meaty.

Soups are great comfort foods and in the winter there's nothing lke a simmering pot on the stove. I make veg/beef/barley, chicken noodle, chicken dumpling, pasta fagioli, minestrone, navy bean, lima bean, potato leek, french onion. I'm getting hungry.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,204,499 times
Lacey, how do you make split pea soup? I make lima bean and ham soup but I have heard you don't have to soak the split peas overnight. Is that true? What other ingredients do you use?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,772,703 times
Cyn-no you don't have to with split peas.

I sautee onions,garlic, carrots, celery. Add dried split peas, pepper, little cayenne, dash of liquid smoke, ham bone or hocks (sometimes smoked pork chops), shot of tabasco, water. Bring to boil and simmer uncovered. If it's too thin I'll use a little instant potato flakes to thicken.

You really don't have to use the cayenne and tabasco-but I like the hint of heat it gives.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,278,222 times
No need to soak split peas - I cook them with smoked ham w/or w/out the bone, add chopped carrots and some fresh parsley, seasonings, and cook until tender. Some like to puree but I prefer chunky with lots of fresh ground black pepper. I take the ham and chop it up into little pieces after cooking and add it back into the soup.

Lentil soup can be made similarly and is just as comforting.

In our household growing up, my mom made soup every day. It was the first course of lunch as well as dinner. We are definitely soup people!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,330,136 times
Every year when it gets really bitter and cold, my family wants stone soup. Remember the story you heard as a kid? Great way to introduce kids to cooking. I even have a special stone that goes in the pot first.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,703,033 times
I love that book................and we have done it.

I think if you make a good vegetable soup you can do wonders with it by adding noodles, chicken or beef...barley or orzo or pasta.......Soups are fun and are so easy.

Usually I just take all kinds of veggies.cover them in water, with garlic powder a little cajun seasoning basil black pepper. I then add Knorr chicken bouillion and beef bouillion. I like the flavor of the two combined not to mention the smell.

Simmer till the veggies are tender...I then add canned broth (both) and then I build it with other ingredients. I like to use leftovers including additional veggies. I make a whole pot and freeze the leftovers into individual servings.

Hope that helps a bit.

Corn Chowder for those cold days are a meal in itself. Easy to make also.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,237,536 times
Care to share your corn chowder recipe?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,204,499 times
Oh good! I just started a new recipe file---soups! Let the recipes and ideas come!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:21 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,703,033 times
I am happy to share

This makes a large pot and freezes well.

3 cans cream corn
1 can regular corn
Bacon or salt pork ( I prefer bacon) uncooked chopped up
4 or stalks celery chopped
1 lg. onion chopped
3/4 capful Mrs. Dash (original) (gives it the perfect flavor)
3 cans evaporated milk (I do 1/2 Fat Free half regular)
about 5/6 diced potatoes

In soup pot place raw bacon/salt pork and cook until browned but not crispy
then add onion and celery and potato
just cover that with water and boil for 10 minutes at a rapid boil

Add evaporated milk and cans of corn and capful of Mrs. Dash
Heat and eat.

You do not have to but I add a half stick of butter while it is getting hot.

Not good for the cholesteral at all but hey we only live once.

You can play with the recipe to your liking also.
I don't know what the heck is in Mrs. Dash but as the pot sits there, the flavor of it gets strong but good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes