U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2017, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,446 posts, read 10,908,021 times
Reputation: 28189

Advertisements

I have favorite recipes, but I don't have favorite recipe websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2017, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
21,871 posts, read 13,115,369 times
Reputation: 14237
I like TasteSpotting | a community driven visual potluck because I can then discover cooking blogs associated with their "post".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM
 
3,302 posts, read 1,350,968 times
Reputation: 6661
www.smittenkitchen.com Love everything about this blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,677 posts, read 26,763,413 times
Reputation: 26652
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
www.smittenkitchen.com Love everything about this blog.
I came here to post exactly that!!!! Love Deb's pictures, her humor, of course her recipes, all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,077 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Reputation: 24187
Remember, please - I don't bake.

Serious Eats: The Destination for Delicious | Serious Eats ESPECIALLY if you like America's Best Kitchen but don't want to pay for it.
Www.epicurious.com is another that I often look at.

I avoid allrecipes.com and Martha Stewart. Often the ones on the food network site are worth considering.

But, ultimately, I rarely follow a recipe item for item. If garlic or onions are involved, I'm adding more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,653,323 times
Reputation: 61805
I use the Internet plenty, donít get me wrong, but I still use my old tried and true recipes the most. If I use something from the internet, it is with my own experience guiding me for possible trouble.
Back in the day, and Iím talking the mid 1960s, any recipe in a cookbook or magazine had been tested before publishing. They were reliable. Now, anyone can post a blog or recipe and in my experience they are not reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:10 PM
 
11,134 posts, read 8,548,081 times
Reputation: 28129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Back in the day, and Iím talking the mid 1960s, any recipe in a cookbook or magazine had been tested before publishing. They were reliable. Now, anyone can post a blog or recipe and in my experience they are not reliable.
Not always. Show like America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country pull old recipes and test them. They don't always work.

In general, every cook should review/monitor a recipe for problems or concerns. It's senseless to follow a recipe blindly. I've heard people say a recipe is bland. Yet, they didn't season to taste. A recipe shouldn't need to spell that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,077 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Reputation: 24187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I use the Internet plenty, donít get me wrong, but I still use my old tried and true recipes the most. If I use something from the internet, it is with my own experience guiding me for possible trouble.
Back in the day, and Iím talking the mid 1960s, any recipe in a cookbook or magazine had been tested before publishing. They were reliable. Now, anyone can post a blog or recipe and in my experience they are not reliable.
Sorry can't rep you again, GentleArts.

(OT - ignore the idiots in the travel forum who keep insisting you should drive in the UK. Regardless of your direction challenged husband, the stress will ruin your trip, you'll both be watching the road so carefully that you'll miss the gorgeous scenery, and he'll never go overseas again.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,257,322 times
Reputation: 62056
I don't have a website for my brain which is where my recipes come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,077 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Reputation: 24187
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not always. Show like America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country pull old recipes and test them. They don't always work.

In general, every cook should review/monitor a recipe for problems or concerns. It's senseless to follow a recipe blindly. I've heard people say a recipe is bland. Yet, they didn't season to taste. A recipe shouldn't need to spell that out.
ETA Isn't it sort of interesting that nobody has mentioned the ubiquitous Ree Drummond and her "Pioneer Woman" site? Your know - the city gal who married a rancher out in the middle of nowhere, helps feed the cattle, milk the cows, butcher and castrate the steer? You know - the one who married a rancher worth $8-10 million, then took her 'talents' with a cast iron pan to make another $8 million or so? Yeah, I can just see her manicure milking cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top