Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I do have a great boss!

To make up for it, I made everyone a Key Lime Pie for tomorrow. I'll post a picture of that after it cools and I garnish it!
I never had baked key lime pie, could you share the recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
I've baked a lot of Key Lime Pies and this one always receives the most compliments. Forget the ones with flour or food coloring. This one is also the simplest.

Key Lime Pie

1 9" graham cracker crust
2 14 oz cans of sweetened condensed milk
½ cup sour cream
¾ cup key lime juiced
1 Tbsp lime zest

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

- In a bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Mix well and
pour into graham cracker crust.

- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of the pie.
DO NOT BROWN!

- Chill pie thoroughly before serving.

- Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.

Personal Notes: A graham cracker crust for a 9" pie shell is 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers mixed with 1/4 cup melted butter. The lime zest is not optional. Especially if you're using regular limes, which is fine. Then use a heaping tablespoon of lime zest. This will also give the pie a green hue. (I hate food coloring.) If you use key limes, it will take about 36 of them to get enough juice! Lastly, it always takes about 14 - 15 minutes for mine to bake and get the tiny bubbles (that never seen to burst) but I've had no problems with the pie setting nicely. Just cool completely and then refrigerate.

Will post a picture later today!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I've baked a lot of Key Lime Pies and this one always receives the most compliments. Forget the ones with flour or food coloring. This one is also the simplest.

Key Lime Pie

1 9" graham cracker crust
2 14 oz cans of sweetened condensed milk
½ cup sour cream
¾ cup key lime juiced
1 Tbsp lime zest

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

- In a bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Mix well and
pour into graham cracker crust.

- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of the pie.
DO NOT BROWN!

- Chill pie thoroughly before serving.

- Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.

Personal Notes: A graham cracker crust for a 9" pie shell is 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers mixed with 1/4 cup melted butter. The lime zest is not optional. Especially if you're using regular limes, which is fine. Then use a heaping tablespoon of lime zest. This will also give the pie a green hue. (I hate food coloring.) If you use key limes, it will take about 36 of them to get enough juice! Lastly, it always takes about 14 - 15 minutes for mine to bake and get the tiny bubbles (that never seen to burst) but I've had no problems with the pie setting nicely. Just cool completely and then refrigerate.

Will post a picture later today!
Thanks! I never heard of baking key lime pies and was surprised to see you mention waiting for it to cool. And absolutely has to be key limes, even if I end up with a huge pile of tiny halves (I soak the halves in a simple syrup and make yummy lime syrup to use in drinks/recipes)

Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM

The pie went over well and went quickly. I got to work a few minutes early to garnish it. I only had five minutes to cut and zest a lime to decorate it so it's not as neat as I'd like it to have been but, here's the picture.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM

That's beautiful!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I'm a bit confused - the filling has round edges and striations like a chilled pie - my baked pies typically drop from the edge and form a smooth surface. Just curious, because I'm new to pie making.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Cutest garnish ever!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm a bit confused - the filling has round edges and striations like a chilled pie - my baked pies typically drop from the edge and form a smooth surface. Just curious, because I'm new to pie making.
It has to do with the baking time. This was a cold, creamy filling when it went into the oven and it was only baked for 14 minutes. That's enough time for these ingredients to set but not bake through, which is what you want to avoid here. You don't want it to bake firm and/or brown. Just until tiny bubbles begin to form.

That's why you can still see the spatula lines from spreading the filling. If this were left in the oven to bake for the amount of time it would take, say an apple pie, to bake, you would see the filling firm up and begin to pull away from the crust just a bit. But, with only 14 minutes, the filling doesn't get hot. It doesn't need to because there's no "meat" in it. (Apples, pumpkin, etc., that need time to get hot and soften a bit.) It's just a cream pie.

Does that help?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
It has to do with the baking time. This was a cold, creamy filling when it went into the oven and it was only baked for 14 minutes...
I always assumed the key lime pies I've eaten were unbaked - and they all looked like that one. What do I know - I'm a guy who doesn't normally cook desserts (except for custards).

Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Next up, is going to be a Pancetta and Gruyère Tart. I still have a Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie that I promised to make, but I want to get away from desserts for awhile. I'm more about the savory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes