U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,178,328 times

Advertisements

I enjoy bringing food for the gang at work. I take the bus and have to walk a bit so bringing much outside of desserts is difficult. I've made cheesecakes, cookies, ice cream, breakfast empanadas...)

Well, yesterday I brought a Lemon Chess Pie for someone's birthday. (She loves lemon.) One of the bosses saw it and, after some nice compliments, put on her game face and said, "I challenge you to a bake-off! This Saturday! Breakfast rolls!"

I couldn't refuse.

She's going to make Caramel Rolls, which are apparently pretty good. Good choice. Minnesota is a very caramel-loving people.

Recipes began running through my head... Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, Maple Bacon Rolls, my own Caramel Rolls, etc.,

I love to cook and bake and I'm looking forward to the challenge! In all honesty, I don't care if I win or not but I want to have a lot of fun with this! Coworkers are going to be the judges.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions? So far I'm leaning towards the Maple Bacon Rolls. Maybe Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with a Maple Buttercream Frosting? (Minnesota is also very bacon-loving. It's the law.) Actually, they love maple everything, too! (I hate maple.)

Since I have a little time, I'd love to hear from you folks to see what you would do! I can't wait to hear from you!

ETA: Caramel Apple Sticky Buns? Sticky Pecan Mini Buns?

Last edited by plain and simple; 06-11-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM

13,382 posts, read 21,932,788 times
Speaking only for myself, if I were judging between rolls, the one with the pecans (generous, large-ish chunks of them) would be hard to beat.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,851,120 times
Pecan sticky buns are a favorite of mine

Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Wow, okay. The Sticky Pecan Mini Buns were a last minute thought. Didn't know it could be a contender!

Anyone else? I know this isn't a life-changing or an urgent, earth shattering decision, but the more input I have the better I feel about it. I'm not a sweets person myself so I'm having a hard time making a decision by myself.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Unless anyone comes up with a really great idea (which I'm completely open to), I'm going to go with the Mini Sticky Pecan Buns.

To compete with the caramel lovers, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate maple into the recipe. I can't substitute it for the brown sugar. Maybe I can just brush them with real maple syrup when they come out of the pan?

Now, should I make them with regular dough or puff pastry?

Just a thought: Instead of melting butter with brown sugar and chopped pecans to put at the bottom of the muffin pan (before putting the dough in), should I use melted caramel and pecans instead? What do you think?

Trust me, I know I'm thinking way too hard about this! LOL I just really enjoy cooking/baking and creating new recipes.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM

13,382 posts, read 21,932,788 times
I know people are not that into Emeril, I don't care for him either, but every recipe of his that I have made has had outstanding (5 star) results. Here's his recipe for the pecan buns made with a raised brioche (yeast) dough. I haven't tried it myself yet but now I will with all this talk of sweet rolls. You know it's gotta be good when he is using all real ingredients like eggs flour, sugar, butter, vanilla bean, etc.

Sticky Pecan Rolls Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I know people are not that into Emeril, I don't care for him either, but every recipe of his that I have made has had outstanding (5 star) results. Here's his recipe for the pecan buns made with a raised brioche (yeast) dough. I haven't tried it myself yet but now I will with all this talk of sweet rolls. You know it's gotta be good when he is using all real ingredients like eggs flour, sugar, butter, vanilla bean, etc.

Sticky Pecan Rolls Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network
Thanks for taking the time to look that up! Those would definitely be great because you can't beat a good brioche. (I make my doughs from scratch, too.) The only hesitation I have with these is the amount of time it takes to make them. I wanted to make them the same day I bring them to work. (I get to work at 6:30am!)

My paranoia (OCD?) is worrying about bringing in food made the day before because they wouldn't be as fresh, soft or gooey! I'm already going to get up at 3am just so the ones I bring will be fresh! (Like I said, I'm waaay too into this! But, like I said, I love to cook and I'm from the south. We feed people. It's what we do! LOL)

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,058,256 times
Wow, I wish I worked with you.

I would go with regular dough over puff pastry, I like more substance with sticky and sweet to balance it out. Best of luck in the bake off!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Wow, I wish I worked with you.

I would go with regular dough over puff pastry, I like more substance with sticky and sweet to balance it out. Best of luck in the bake off!
I know the feeling! I tried a flat bread pizza with caramelized onions, ham and gruyere cheese the other day. It was good but I thought, "My mouth wants more substance than the thin flat bread!" (So, I made a pancetta and gruyere tart the next day!)

As for the puff pastry, you're still getting substance because of the sticky caramel sauce that sinks down into it. The puff pastry doesn't actually "puff" in these. Still, it's not as substantial as regular dough. If I do the regular dough, I'll have to make them the night before.

Are they as good the next morning?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 PM

570 posts, read 390,064 times

Gooey Cinnamon Buns[/quote]

How to Make Gooey Cinnamon Buns - YouTube!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes