U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times

Advertisements

My family is on a health kick and want all healthy foods. We discovered corn tortillas lightly brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with nutritional Yeast flakes are really really GOOD. Among other goodies.

But brown rice is sorely lacking for us. I cannot master cooking it. It's either crunchy undercooked or mush and overcooked. It is a short grain and we prefer short grain if that matters any. I can make beautifully fluffy perfect white rices of all kinds. But brown rice is my nemesis and I need all the help, tips etc you all can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,832,193 times
momtothree...I consider myself a fairly good cook. I can follow recipes, improvise and bake successfully BUT I simply cannot master rice on the stove. My epiphany came when I first tried a rice cooker!!! It produces perfect rice, quinoa and whole grains perfectly. If you are asking for my tip- buy a rice cooker and spend your time doing something else.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,551,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My family is on a health kick and want all healthy foods. We discovered corn tortillas lightly brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with nutritional Yeast flakes are really really GOOD. Among other goodies.

But brown rice is sorely lacking for us. I cannot master cooking it. It's either crunchy undercooked or mush and overcooked. It is a short grain and we prefer short grain if that matters any. I can make beautifully fluffy perfect white rices of all kinds. But brown rice is my nemesis and I need all the help, tips etc you all can offer.
The two big variables with rice are water and time. You must, must, must measure the water carefully and watch the time carefully, because a little more water means it will take a little longer to cook, while less means a shorter time.

Use the ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice.

Put brown rice and water in a pot with a lid. Start with lid off.

Turn heat to max, bring the rice and water to a boil. Then immediately put the lid on the pot, and reduce the heat to lowest simmer (water just barely boiling). If your lid has a steam vent, keep it closed. Let the rice simmer for 45 minutes. Do not lift the lid.

Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes. Do not lift the lid.

Take lid off (away from you - watch for steam) and fluff the rice.

Now, check the texture and doneness... if ok, just keep doing it exactly the same way. Exactly.

If underdone/crunchy, add a tablespoon of water and try again. If still underdone, add 2 tablespoons, etc.

If overdone/mushy, subtract a tablespoon of water, etc.

If still underdone, add a minute to simmer time. If still overdone, subtract a minute, etc.

Once you've found the balance you need for your pot, your stove, your touch, then just keep doing it that way.

PS: I agree with Talloolla, a rice cooker is a consistent, easy way to cook rice, and the same principles apply... add water to cook longer, subtract water to cook quicker.

Also note, different batches of brown rice may require slight adjustments, but that's all part of cooking!

Last edited by OpenD; 07-17-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,331,549 times
1 cup rice per 1-1/2 cup water.

Stir in the rice to boiling water turn to low cover for 50-55minutes or until all water is absorbed.

DONT stir during the cooking process and DONT lift the lid until about 45 minutes to check.

I use chicken stock/broth to cook our brown rice.

Let stand 10 minutes covered off heat. Fluff with fork.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM

4,752 posts, read 6,497,567 times
I always use 1 cup rice to 2 cups water.

Put in pan, heat to boil, put on lid, check in 20-30 minutes, remove from stove and eat.

Never had a problem with any type of rice doing it this way for 20 years.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,331,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I always use 1 cup rice to 2 cups water.

Put in pan, heat to boil, put on lid, check in 20-30 minutes, remove from stove and eat.

Never had a problem with any type of rice doing it this way for 20 years.
You cook brown rice for as long as you do white rice?

Also do you turn down the heat to low after reaching boiling?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM

879 posts, read 2,410,060 times
Another vote for a rice cooker...works every time!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM

605 posts, read 554,281 times
Package directions:

1. Bring 2-2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add 1 tsp. butter or margarine and salt (optional)
2. Stir in 1 cup rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45-50 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Let stand covered for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff
with fork.

For firmer rice, use less water and simmer for a shorter time.
For softer ric, use more water and simmer for a longer time. Do not lift lid while cooking steam cooks rice.

The first three steps I use for wonderful brown rice. Cook it in the morning for an evening meal, the house smells wonderful. Having written this, it would be excellent for breakfast with some milk/cream and fresh fruit of your choice-have some raspberries in the fridge!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 PM

12,993 posts, read 15,332,471 times
Trader Joe's has brown rice in packets that you just throw in the microwave for 3 minutes (I think) and it comes out perfect. Not sure how "healthy" it is - as in, I don't know if there are additives or anything. But it's good and easy. They also have jasmine rice and other kinds of rice.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM

74 posts, read 99,394 times
This recipe is from the cookbook "The Fresh 20". It comes out perfect every time. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a stockpot on medium heat. Add 1 cup brown rice and coat with oil ( I use long grain). Let the rice toast for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of broth (chicken or vegetable) or water. If you use water add 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam for 5 minutes before lifting the lid. I prefer the taste when cooked in chicken broth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes