U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,375,555 times

Advertisements

Update report on first try making gluten free bread in a bread machine...

I got got gluten free bread mix, and we decided to try it in the bread machine (it wasn't a bread machine mix)...and it turned out really good.

I'm being more disciplined about what I eat and I think it's making a difference! Third day without medication and I still feel good!! So far, the only thing I've cut out is the gluten.
This is a trial-by-elimination project. Doctors don't have any suggestions, since all the tests have come back negative and they're at a loss as to where to go from here.

Thought I'd do my own thing with diet and see if it makes a difference. I appreciate all the posters on this topic here and elsewhere (health), who have helped to educate me
as this is all new to me. I'm off to get more bread mix!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! (I'll be skipping the stuffing, but I will be stuffed, fer sure!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,686,000 times
First off, I have to say that I have tried a Gluten free recipe (out of a box) NOT because of a health condition!
The store that I work at here in Florida (Publix Greenwise) has a "Apron Counter", where they sample and cook meals, taste testing to the public.
The one day, they make this yellow Gluten free cake, with Gluten free chocolate icing.
It was so superb, that I bought the ready-cake mix and icing, and made it for Thanksgiving, as a dessert.
It is absolutely awesome, tasty....rich.....I was shocked and totally surprised!
Thumbs up!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,191,450 times
Default celiac

My mother was diagnosed with celiac and the first thing her Gastro dr told her was to have all family members diagnosed. I thought great another fun thing to "inherit". I haven't been confirmed, but I watch my glutens...including oatmeal...the brown rice pastas are much better than the corn or white rice...imho. Bread, well that's another matter. no G/F bread will come close to the textures of regular breads, white or whole wheat, it's more like a heavy pound cake and I've decided for myself to forego bread. the best advice I heard was to throw away all wooden utensils and any 'non-stick pans. if there's any slight cracks, scratches, etc, the gluten will remain in them. that may be costly, but well worth it.

cakes, cookies and brownies, the mixes are good, surprizingly.

the main thing to remember is READ ALL INGREDIENTS CAREFULLY. you never know where gluten may be hidden.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM

5,357 posts, read 9,825,022 times
Default Gluten Wheat-free Breads?

Anyone have any recipes they've tried for gluten, wheat-free breads?

These are so pricey in the health food stores, thought I might try baking a loaf or two to see if it's good....

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:39 PM

96 posts, read 313,420 times
Default Anyone have a recipe for gluten-free bread that's rustic,nutty,grainy?

I'm looking for a gluten-free bread recipe for a loaf bread with lots of "texture" with seeds and nuts--like Whole Food's Prairie bread if you're familiar with that one.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
[url=http://www.julesglutenfree.com]Jules Gluten Free Flour, gluten free recipes, gluten free baking tips, and gluten free news.[/url]
"Sandwich Bread" recipe
is DELICIOUS!!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,110,292 times
Default Seeking gluten-free recipes, ideas - especially breads, piecrusts, crackers

A family member has recently been diagnosed with a serious gluten sensitivity, and while we're delighted that the stomach problems of recent years are diminishing, we're also struggling to find ways of serving beloved food items that don't include gluten.

A lot of places have started carrying an impressive array of GF foodstuffs, which is wonderful, but bread in particular seems to be a real problem. The GF breads we've found and tried so far seem to either have the consistency and flavor of styrofoam, or else be so heavy and dense that they don't taste like bread at all.

Adding to the challenge for us is that the individual in question is not nearly as adventurous in eating as anyone else in the family is. And he absolutely HATES to feel "different" from others; we suggested pumpkin pudding as an alternative to pumpkin pie, to avoid the gluten in the piecrust, and were informed in no uncertain terms that he did not want pudding, he wanted PIE.

So I am hopeful that others here might have some GF recipes that you wouldn't mind sharing. Alternatively, if you or a family member needs a GF diet, have you found any brands or varieties of GF breads or crackers that you like?

Thanks for any suggestions you can share!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,172,763 times
I'm not gluten-free, I'm just the friend to some. And I love to cook. I sympathize with people for their gluten issues because I've learned that a lot of store-bought gluten-free items are tasteless or taste terrible.

Becoming gluten-free takes a new mindset and a willingness to cook more rather than relying on instant, store-bought food. You'll be buying new things like guar gum, bean flours, rice flours, certain oils, etc.,

Here's a recipe I have for pie crust that my gluten-free friends appreciate. It makes a single crust. For a double crust, double the recipe.

c Bob’s Red Mill all purpose gluten-free flour
c brown rice flour
c besan (chickpea flour)
tsp guar gum
tsp salt
tsp raw sugar
5 tbsp of butter or Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread (if giving up dairy.)
- c ice water

Mix the flours, guar gum, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.

Add the Earth Balance Spread in small chunks and blend with a pastry cutter (or by hand) until it resembles course crumbs.

Add the ice water slowly while stirring with a spatula. Add the water just until the dough comes together and isn't too sticky. (If that happens, add a little more flour.) Don't overwork the dough or it will be tough and chewy.

Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Then roll it out and form your crust.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Take it out, add your pie filling and return to the oven for an additional 30-40 minutes.

TIP: Double the recipe and instead of making a second pie crust for the top of the pie, crumble it over the top of the pie. (After you add the pie filling of course!)

Old 06-05-2011, 07:49 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,172,763 times
I forgot to include a link to a gluten-free site that a friend of mine gave me. This is where she got her bread recipe and how she does it. I've not tried it but, honestly, it looks so easy. My friend loves it!

I'm a new member so my URL privileges are not available yet. I can't post the site without the beginning [b] and the ending , so just copy between those tags and paste it into your browser. Good luck!

Two Minutes to Homemade Bread | Gluten Free Cooking School

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,110,292 times
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely give that pie crust a try in the hope of finding something that'll work for pumpkin pie this coming November. And the link looks really interesting - will have to browse and see what I can find there. It's a work in process, that's for sure.

Interestingly enough, our family member's doctor told him that while only about 1% of the population actually has Celiac disease, up to 40% of the population are gluten-sensitive. I had no idea that it was so wide-spread, and if that is indeed the case, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more GF recipes, food products, etc. in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes