U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,766,396 times

Advertisements

AND, I forgot to add, that for the person who insists on pumpkin pie, that recipe for pie crust that was given is a good one, there's also one at Pamela's Products website. Just be aware that you're going to have to cut it into triangles, pick it up with a spatula and slide it into the pan.
HOWEVER, what I made last year, and no one even knew it was gluten free, was a pumpkin cheesecake recipe I saw in a magazine, and just made it gluten free, AND I used Equal instead of sugar for my diabetic mother. We all loved it. The only change I had to do to make it gf is to use gf "Nilla Wafers" for the crust, which are easy to find. The recipe will probably start showing up in magazines as the season gets closer. It's in an ad for either Philly cream cheese or Nabisco Nilla Wafers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM

654 posts, read 574,160 times
Default gluten-Free Recipes

Looking for pancake, buiscuit, gormet roll type ideas. Any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM

4,752 posts, read 6,494,214 times
I like these biscuits: My Favorite Gluten Free Biscuits

I also like the Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust mix - it is very sticky, but if you keep dipping your fingers in cold water while you spread it out, it turns out great. Read the Amazon reviews to get ideas about the best way to make it.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times
This company is local to my area and her mixes are wonderful, it's very difficult to tell they are gluten free.
http://www.toosiesglutenfree.com

Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,400,880 times
Default Gluten free recipes of anything!

Hi there! I am trying to switch to a pretty much gluten free diet. I probably wouldn't be able to switch to all gf, but I will try! I have been doing pretty good so far and see a huge difference when I do and do not eat it.

So please, if you will, share some G-F recipes!!!

Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM

22,531 posts, read 28,441,660 times
Most of your Italian dishes can be made with rice or potatoes instead of pasta.

Meat, veggies, fruit, and most dairy is OK to eat.

I make granola at home so I don't have to worry about cross contamination in commercial cereal.

Crunch Master makes an excellent multi-grain 5 grain, gluten-free cracker. That's the only cracker I've found that is any good. It can be used as a sort of sandwich substitute: cheese and crackers, tuna salad and crackers, just about any sandwich filling and crackers. Costco carries them intermittently and Walmart sometimes has them.

Oriental rice noodles make a really good spaghetti. You might have to make your spaghetti sauce from scratch. They also make a good Chinese noodle dish if you buy gluten-free soy sauce.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM

By the way, adding: you will have to cook. Commercial gluten-free foods are generally nasty.

An exception: Thai Kitchens makes Thai food rice mixes that are good and those are labeled gluten-free. I also like their sweet red chili sauce.

If you buy gluten-free soy sauce, you can make nearly every dish in Chinese food except for won-ton and dumplings.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:35 AM

You can make most Mexican recipes. Most of their recipes use corn tortillas or corn flour instead of wheat.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Last night we ate grilled steak, green salad with lots of raw veggies and home made salad dressing, steamed mushrooms and cauliflower, and home made baked beans.

Breakfast this AM, home made granola, milk, frozen blueberries

Tonight, grilled chicken with home made honey barbecue sauce, leftover beans, green salad, brown rice with quinoa.

Next day, turkey breast with homemade gravy, made into a turkey cottage pie, topped with mashed potatoes

Sometime this week, a beef chuck pot roast, in the crock pot with Irish potatoes, yams, carrots, onions, gravy made with corn starch, not wheat flour.

Earlier in the week, we had French fry pizza and a dish of eggplant, mushrooms, onions, and lots of garlic sautéed together, plus a green salad.

I know that the gluten-free sites don't really tell you what you can eat. They are full of recipes for baked goods that "taste like yuck, but , hey, I can eat it".

Well, I am telling you that the world is chock full of delicious food that does not involve wheat.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM

381 posts, read 712,635 times
We still make pasta dishes but use brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta or corn pasta. They can be tricky to cook with but you can experiment with small amounts until you figure it out. I stir more often so the pasta does not stick to itself and rinse well. We have also found that heating up leftover gf pasta dishes requires a little liquid or the pasta stays extra firm.

We have moved to a lot more rice dishes (especially brown rice). Dinners really aren't the problem. My daughter is the one who needs to restrict her gluten. She has finally found that she likes oatmeal so has that most mornings on the way to school. On the weekends she might scramble an egg or she will toast a piece of Trader Joe's gf bread (peanut butter and banana slices are her current favorite). Sometimes I will have baked some gf muffin variety.

Lunches are more difficult, but she really has learned to mostly forget about sandwiches. Fruits, veggies, homemade dips, tuna/chicken salad in corn tortillas or stuffed in celery -- all made a decent lunch for her. Over the weekends she is home, so she can just go for the leftovers.

I find it much easier to just make my own soup so that she knows what is in there. So many noodle varieties on the grocery shelves, but she can't have those. I now stock several different varieties of gf flour (all-purpose, oat, brown rice, white rice, corn, chickpea, coconut) plus some starches (corn starch and potato starch). I experiment, but so far we have been able to bake and cook with just these (though it seems like a lot, right?). Look for sales, some people will look online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes