U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM

7,233 posts, read 6,423,528 times

Advertisements

I love sweet foods but due to past dietary habits am pre-diabetic, which means limiting glycemic load. This is basically calico beans done cheap and stripping out the sugar. I really like it, but am concerned about the amount of splenda I'm consuming. Black beans are very healthy and depending on the severity of a person's blood sugar control are a good source of calories and high in fiber.

This recipe is made with the sweet tooth in mind. Calico beans can be made that have almost no sweetness to them and that's home some people like them. They are in fact quite able to be manipulated to specific tastes, such as making them really salty or spicy instead.

1 lbs ground beef (actually I've been using more but I believe it to be too much beef to beans ratio)

2 cans of black beans (great value brand reduced sodium are cheapest and healthiest for you)
Alternately, you can use any other beans such as kidney, lima, pinto, or whatever. Black beans have the lowest glycemic load/index I believe but the difference is not huge.

Celery stalks. These are mainly here as a low calorie filler material to make the mixture go farther. They are completely optional. 3 or 4 stalks.. or whatever you want.

1 nice sized squart of generic dijon mustard.. I'd say about 1/8 cup worth. The "dijon" I happen to have laying around is probably closer to regular mustard, FWIW.

2/3 cup or so of Kraft Light Original BBQ sauce. This is what I use.. it's lower in sugar. You could try other BBQ sauces or Ketchups but this stuff is good for the low sugar and cheap, a dollar a bottle. I don't have an exact amount I just dump some in.

Onion powder.. dump in a nice amount... I don't know how much.. maybe a TBSP worth... alternately, cut up real onions and mix them with the celery (have not tried this)

Liquid Spenda.. in the yellow container that you can buy on amazon.. I use 25 drops.. but I like it sweet! You can use zero if you don't want sweet, or somewhere in between. Splenda gives the best sweet flavor in my opinion, and is heat stable, unlike aspartame. I plan to try saccharin which I believe is the safest along with stevia, fairly soon.

Liquid smoke. Again, I don't have a precise measurement. I buy the cheapest I can find and just dump maybe a couple tsp worth.

Directions... if you are adding celery or onions, soften them any way you like. Soften them while browning the ground beef if you wish... up to you. Drain the fat.. or not, if you want more calories.

Once the beef is cooked and celery/onions softened, add bbq sauce, beans, liquid smoke, mustard, onion powder (if applicable), and liquid splenda.

Traditionally bacon is added and you can do that, I didn't to save money. To me this gives the calico beans taste without spending extra on lima beans, bacon or adding lots of carbs. I prefer the taste of black beans. Get ground beef on sale and it's a fairly cheap way to eat. I love this mixture. I just created it out of the blue because I was too lazy to go and get lima beans and bacon when I had none on hand. I love meat and sweet mixed, and love the combination of mustard, bbq sauce, and onion powder together with the splenda. Your results may vary.

Last edited by stockwiz; 08-28-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 AM

7,099 posts, read 9,304,568 times
Just a note -- testing indicates that baked beans made the usual way already have a very low glycemic index, and you can get almost exactly the same flavor simply by using less of the molasses and brown sugar. (Many of the unimproved recipes have only a couple of tbsps each brown sugar and ketchup, so that's already VERY little sugar.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes