Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Funny...we are definitely southern cooks, and we always prefer white!! My mom won't even buy yellow.
Right on.

Southern Heritage is White Cornmeal.

All About Cornbread

Cornmeal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Yellow. I'm southern, though.

White is just confusing to me, lol.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I just ordered some white corn meal from Kenyon Mills in RI. It is an old grist mill that still grinds corn; it started in the 1600's on site. They also have blue corn meal, yellow corn meal, red corn meal, and a flint white corn meal that is ground from the antique corn that was grown in colonial times. Kenyon's Grist Mill The journey cake they describe is the original Corn Bread.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:41 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Blue cornmeal makes a delicious, yet utterly weird-looking bread.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
In the Kenyon Mills catalogue they describe blue corn meal as sweeter. And they describe white cap flint corn...an heirloom variety of corn.

The striking blue color and sweet flavor make this a sought after item. Grown primarily in the southwest, blue corn can be substituted for yellow or white corn in many recipes. We've made delicious corn bread and pancakes with it."

. This very special White Cap Indian Flint Corn comes from Tibbits Farm in West Kingston, Rhode Island. As always, Kenyon's Grist Mill tries to purchase grains as local as possible. We do not use, or source grain with any additives, pesticides or preservatives.

Flint White Corn: What makes this grain so unique? It is the original variety of white corn grown in New England. It was introduced to the settlers by the Native Americans. Traditionally, each stalk bore a single, six inch, eight row cob of corn. Today, the flint corn is not widely cultivated due to its weak growing characteristics. A few hard core traditional farmers still harvest a very limited quantity. Kenyon's Grist Mill is proud to take part in bringing this rare delicacy to your table. Enjoy!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM

136 posts, read 381,975 times
I mix them in equal amounts to "soften" the feel in your mouth when used has a coating for frying.

I omit 25% yellow and add 25% white to my bread recipe. Less crumbles.

I use white only for pancakes and muffins. This makes a less crumbly muffin and fluffier pancake.
I add frozen kernels to my batter to be seen and additional natural sweetness.

I use white only has a breakfast cereal prepared like cream of wheat.

I use yellow only for polenta dishes.
The white is nice for this application if your using a light broth and/or very fresh seafood.

My preference is to the dish. Even though it reads that I like white more.

Tip: Use 50% apple juice has your liquid in the recipes . (ie: 2cup water = 1cup apple juice + 1cup water)
You wont taste apple. The corn will over-flavor.
The acid in the juice aides in breaking down the corn for easier digestion.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I'm not sure it matters at all where you grew up. Whether you like yellow or white is like an individual family tradition, like serving sandwiches only without the crust and never grape jelly, only strawberry jam with that peanut butter. That would extend to the color of the cornmeal and whether you add honey or chilis or neither to a pan of batter, and whether you fry it in a pan or bake it in a loaf...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes