Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Like every other area that was ultimately supposed to be paper free with the advent of computer files....my recipe system isn't. And I like it that way.

I do have many recipes in a computer file, but I still prefer the old-fashioned way of organizing them: in books or recipe boxes. I'm a huge fan of those "favorite recipe" organizers that often appear at Barnes & Noble, and have used them to compile my own cookbooks, with family-favorites and oft-used recipes. Same thing for my nice, stainless-steel recipe box. I would like to continue to do some things without being perched on the computer!

In addition, I still love to thumb through cookbooks that I've purchased through the years. Why not use one of my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Hmmm, surprised at all the "paper-based" setups I'm reading. That is so not me. I quite proudly tell people "I don't do papers" whenever something printed gets lost on my watch. In prior days you had maids who stated "I don't do windows," mine is "I don't do papers."

No I'm not at all criticizing people who use a paper-based system, not in the least. I was just curious what people did. My thing is that papers get lost so easily with me, no matter what I do it happens. With them saved as notes, even if my phone gets lost or broken AND my computer crashes, the minute I replace my phone, download/install the app, get it online & enter my user id/password, my recipes return in their full glory. (Yet, being notes, you don't need online access to read them once they're loaded.) I'm not a good cook & not very skilled at improvising or modifying, other than thinking to add celery-onions to a soup recipe that doesn't mention it, or adding frozen mixed vegetables to a chicken/dumplings recipe. I otherwise do everything "verbatim" as it says. Such is why I don't just Yahoo! a recipe & never "clip" any as one person stated is their practice, although I use Yahoo! for searching for new ones to "clip"--and once I find one I like & "clip," I go back to it over & over.

Previously I was nervous about having the phone in the messy chaotic area of the kitchen for accessing the recipes, but anymore smartphones can be had for cheaply enough, & you can always put the phone in a sandwich bag for protection from the elements, with the "screen timeout" setting turned to (say) 30 minutes so it doesn't keep shutting off on you.

I was just curious what others do--I've read of "apps" that are specifically for recipes, letting you enter serving size & it will "on the fly" adjust measurements, other such abilities, but they seem to require more labor for entering them, whereas "notes" on a phone you just type it in, or copy-paste the instructions from whatever you got them, and you're done.

LRH

Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM

303 posts, read 540,121 times
Haha, my partner uses the "I don't do paper" all the time. I had a paper-based system but it was just impractical and clunky. I use an app called Recipe Box and my account is synced between my iphone, ipad, and desktop so I can look at my recipes anywhere. It has a really awesome feature where you can search for a recipe through the app and it can automatically store the recipe info for future use. Plus, since it's on my phone I can pull up a recipe at the grocery store to make sure I have everything for it, which I do ALL the time. I seriously tried out a dozen apps before this one and it's the BEST!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reci...414537274?mt=8
Here's the link to their page. It has much more descriptions of the features too. Check it out, it's so worth it.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I save recipes to my cookbook box or whatever the hell it's called on allrecipes.com, but once I try and like a recipe, I print it out as a recipe card, and it goes in my pretty tin recipe box.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
i DO use Color Notes for my grocery list. VERY convenient, 'cuz there's an X next to the item, and once I put it in my cart, I X it out on my phone! Love that..
I however still print out recipes that I've found, 3 hole punch them, and keep them in a binder in the kitchen. OP, doesn't it take a long time to type a recipe all out before you save it?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I just Google as need or I go to foodnetwork.com. I do have a recipe book that my mom made me in a binder with all of her cookie recipes for Christmas and all of her side dishes and desserts that she makes on Thanksgiving.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
While I have a folder in my e-mail that has all those great recipes posted online, including Facebook, my most cherished recipes are on index cards and put in my small Lane hope chest that I received when I graduated from high school. I am sure that some of you have the same one since Lane gave them out. I am showing my age.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
i DO use Color Notes for my grocery list. VERY convenient, 'cuz there's an X next to the item, and once I put it in my cart, I X it out on my phone! Love that..
I however still print out recipes that I've found, 3 hole punch them, and keep them in a binder in the kitchen. OP, doesn't it take a long time to type a recipe all out before you save it?
No it doesn't, because I can type 75 words per minute. (Either that, or I will see it in a posting or website and then copy-paste.) Whether typed or copy-paste is done, I email it to myself, then in GMail I move it to a "label" called "Notes." From there a 2nd note-taking app on my phone called GNotes picks it up. That itself would be enough if not for the fact that I personally prefer the user interface of ColorNote. I merely use Gnotes as a "conduit" to get the note on my phone quickly. (That also means I can access those notes within GMail from a PC.) So, within GNotes, I hit "share" then "ColorNotes" and now it's where I ultimately want it to be. Once ColorNote does a "sync," the note/recipe is now also backed-up within ColorNote and will thus end up on my tablet next time I use ColorNote there. (It also means if I break-lose my phone I can quickly restore my notes in ColorNote on the new phone.)

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is, the typing or copying-pasting part takes a lot longer than the other parts (and with my typing speed & exceptional computer savvy even that part takes no time). I'm very quick at it.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
I just save recipes on my laptop in different categories. If I find a recipe I like, I print the recipe to a PDF file to save. I then pull up the recipe on my laptop or iPad.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I just save recipes on my laptop in different categories. If I find a recipe I like, I print the recipe to a PDF file to save. I then pull up the recipe on my laptop or iPad.
Actually, I do save some of the popular recipes as text files, I print out when needed, make changes or comments then save. All the file names start with RECIPES - then description . Helps me stay organized. I don't have a laptop of iPad, just a desktop in an air conditioned cubbyhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes