Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

In a word: badly.

I once thought it would be brilliant to scan all my recipes from my recipe box into my computer, which was upstairs in my bonus room. What I found myself doing is trudging upstairs, finding the recipe I wanted, and printing it. Then I would stash it, so I wouldn't need to do that again. Now, I'm not the brightest person in the world, but I decided it took less time to just lift up my recipe box and pull out the recipe I wanted.

I use online recipes sometimes, and I also enjoy recipes from the cooking shows on TV, but I have a lifetime of great cookbooks, and recipes collected from friends, and they are precious to me, and I'd just as soon not have to go online to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I like the answers. So far I like the "notes" approach, because I can easily pull it up on my phone or tablet--either at the store to see what I need to buy, or in the kitchen for preparation. In the store that's apt to be the phone as it's always with me, in the kitchen it's apt to be the tablet since it's easier to read from a bit more of a distance. I'll typically put the tablet in a sandwich bag so it doesn't get grease etc on it, I can still work it that way & see it easily, and I'll change the screen timeout to (say) 30 minutes so it just stays on.

Lately most of the recipes are ones people share in social media (although I've also just explicitly searched for them). One my mother mailed to me. Either way, the procedure has been to either type it or copy-paste into a "spare" email I have which I use for emailing things to myself, I then in fact email it to myself & "file" it in the right place. From there GNotes picks it up, from there I can "send" it to ColorNotes, which is the app I actually prefer; GNotes is mainly a "conduit" for getting it there (plus it syncs with the email as set up). I have notes for many things besides recipes in ColorNote, but I assign the color blue to recipes, and by having it only view blue notes it shows me recipes only.

LRH

Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Unless a recipe is from a sight in which the recipes have been tested, the internet is full of recipes someone puts in which is missing an ingredient, or they've guessed at the amounts, or they forget an important part of the instructions. Give me a treasured cookbook any day.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Unless a recipe is from a sight in which the recipes have been tested, the internet is full of recipes someone puts in which is missing an ingredient, or they've guessed at the amounts, or they forget an important part of the instructions. Give me a treasured cookbook any day.
I have noticed that in fact. One recipe I got for beef tips calls for cream of mushroom soup/beef broth/onion soup mix as the "juice" & then throw in the cubed beef stew meat (6-8 hours on low in a slow cooker). One commenter observed that it was really missing green peppers, mushrooms & onions, another stated they added some oregano/garlic salt at the end. I'm so much a "literal" cooking person (meaning "just follow the directions") I'd never thought of it, yet when I saw the comment I was like "uh, duh, yeah." Also it mentioned serving it over mashed potatoes or egg noodles, and it took me a bit to think "well, serving it over rice would be good," especially when I remembered I had eaten as much before in eating places, I was like "why didn't I think of that IMMEDIATELY."

When I logged the recipe in my notes, I made note of all of that, for my own recollection & also so that if I shared it with anyone else they'd read as much.

Also, one recipe for chicken & dumplings didn't mention any vegetables, just chicken & chicken broth & biscuit dough basically, then I remembered how we used to eat Stouffer's "Meal in a Bag" chicken dumplings (I know, what a joke) and I remembered it having vegetables in it, so I added 2 smaller bags of frozen mixed vegetables and it made it much better. So yes, I know what you mean.
LRH

Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In a word: badly.

I once thought it would be brilliant to scan all my recipes from my recipe box into my computer, which was upstairs in my bonus room. What I found myself doing is trudging upstairs, finding the recipe I wanted, and printing it. Then I would stash it, so I wouldn't need to do that again. Now, I'm not the brightest person in the world, but I decided it took less time to just lift up my recipe box and pull out the recipe I wanted.

I use online recipes sometimes, and I also enjoy recipes from the cooking shows on TV, but I have a lifetime of great cookbooks, and recipes collected from friends, and they are precious to me, and I'd just as soon not have to go online to get them.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
I keep them in a binder which I've had for 20 years. It has sections for Appetizers, Breads, Soups, Salads, Meats, Seafood, Vegetables, Rice & Pasta, and Desserts.

I either write them in (usually recipes from family and friends), or paste them from magazines or the internet.

I also have a digital folder with recipes. I keep them there until I have time to make them. If I make them and they turn out well, I add them to my binder. If they do not turn out to my liking, I delete them.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times
I have tons of cook books, but lately I have been pinning all the Internet recipes I find and refer back to them there.

The ones that I NEED to write down to preserve aremy own recipes that I eye ball and have evolved from a long forgotten original recipe.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I am a color notes user, like I mentioned, but what is Gnotes? I use gmail and google calendar, and my phone is synced, but I must be missing something with the "Gnotes" you mentioned.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
A notebook. It has outlasted various phones and hard drives of mine. It doesn't crash. And it has a nice heft in my hand.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I am a color notes user, like I mentioned, but what is Gnotes? I use gmail and google calendar, and my phone is synced, but I must be missing something with the "Gnotes" you mentioned.
GNotes is an Android app that stores notes within GMail under the label "notes." This way you, unlike with ColorNote, have PC access to view them (but not edit them). Anything you store in GNotes ends up in GMail under the "Notes" label & also anything you store in GMail under the "Notes" label ends up in GNotes.

Since ColorNote doesn't have PC access, & I acquire many of my recipes from the PC, I use GNotes simply as a "conduit" to get them on the phone. To wit: when I see a recipe, I use another email & email it to my GMail, then within GMail I move it to the "Notes" label. With that GNotes on the phone detects it & pulls it in. From there, I can easily "send" it to ColorNote.

GNotes could be enough on its own (you can edit the notes in GNotes & it updates in GMail) but I like how ColorNote works better (GNotes doesn't have a "revert" option to cancel all edits done to a note that already exists). So ColorNote is ultimately what I use--again, GNotes is simply a "conduit" to get it from PC to phone. Other people use GNotes in & of itself and it suits them fine. Its GMail sync is handy (except again you can't edit it within GMail, but you can at least see them).

LRH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes