U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 PM

847 posts, read 1,239,849 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with a cheap way to make chicken salad? I enjoy the chicken salad in a can that comes with crackers but I want to try to make my own.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:21 PM

36,595 posts, read 41,876,404 times
Depends on your idea of cheap.

Most cost effective way to make it from scratch is to roast a whole chicken, and shred or cube that meat. Typically better price per lb. than more individually processed chicken parts.

Sometimes rotisserie chickens are cheaper than buying a whole raw roaster, though, which can allow you to skip the roasting step.

Anyway, chop, cube, or shred cooked chicken. Mix with mayo/your preferred mayo subsitutute if you're not a mayo person until consistency is what you want. Season to taste. Salt/pepper, garlic or onion salt or powder are good; for a twist, I like to add curry powder to the mayo before mixing the mayo in, but that changes it from a basic chicken salad. Add ins to give more texture/flavor can be anything from chopped celery, chopped raw onion (what I usually go with), to fruit add-ins (some people like chopped tart apple, or halved grapes, I'll eat it with either, but it's not my first preference). The curried version sometimes adds almonds and golden raisins. Chopped pickle is a thing, too.

I'm a purist, and end to stick with celery and onion. Served on a toasted, crusty roll with a leave of crisp lettuce. In the UK, they'll stuff a baked potato (called a "jacket potato," there) with chicken salad (often the curried version), as a common workday cafe lunch. It works!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 AM

847 posts, read 1,239,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on your idea of cheap.

Most cost effective way to make it from scratch is to roast a whole chicken, and shred or cube that meat. Typically better price per lb. than more individually processed chicken parts.

Sometimes rotisserie chickens are cheaper than buying a whole raw roaster, though, which can allow you to skip the roasting step.

Anyway, chop, cube, or shred cooked chicken. Mix with mayo/your preferred mayo subsitutute if you're not a mayo person until consistency is what you want. Season to taste. Salt/pepper, garlic or onion salt or powder are good; for a twist, I like to add curry powder to the mayo before mixing the mayo in, but that changes it from a basic chicken salad. Add ins to give more texture/flavor can be anything from chopped celery, chopped raw onion (what I usually go with), to fruit add-ins (some people like chopped tart apple, or halved grapes, I'll eat it with either, but it's not my first preference). The curried version sometimes adds almonds and golden raisins. Chopped pickle is a thing, too.

I'm a purist, and end to stick with celery and onion. Served on a toasted, crusty roll with a leave of crisp lettuce. In the UK, they'll stuff a baked potato (called a "jacket potato," there) with chicken salad (often the curried version), as a common workday cafe lunch. It works!
Thanks!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 AM

71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Can anyone provide me with a cheap way to make chicken salad? I enjoy the chicken salad in a can that comes with crackers but I want to try to make my own.
When I think "chicken salad" I am not thinking the kind you put on crackers. I am thinking the kind you serve for lunch or a hot summer night salad and to me, it is very inexpensive to make:

just cut up chicken
some kind of pasta
green or red onion (cut up)
peacans
snow peas
a combo or mayo and sour cream
salt, pepper and terragon (the terragon is a must)

We are not huge into sweets, so i do not do add grapes or crasons like some people.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,246,597 times
I like using leftover store bought rotisserie chicken, I get them for 4.99 at the end of the night..

I pull apart the chicken and mix in some mayo, garlic powder, diced onion, celery and a small amount of Coleman dry mustard... Salt and pepper to taste..

It's pretty similar what I remember finding in Deli's as a kid growing up on Long Island..

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM

11,072 posts, read 17,546,328 times
I find poached chicken breast makes the best chicken salad.

Cover 1 bone-in chicken breast with water and simmer until done (20-30 mins?)

Here's a good write-up of this method, though I've never used the wine she calls for. How To Poach Chicken Breasts

When the chicken is done, remove meat from bones, and return the bones to the pot to simmer longer so you will end up with a delicious broth/stock for your trouble. The tender meat is ready to chop and mix with celery and toasted walnuts, mayo, a smidge lemon juice, salt and pepper for your chicken salad. Very nice served with avocado.

I do 2 chicken breasts, so I have one for salad and one for chicken soup meat.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:07 AM

6,345 posts, read 7,822,618 times
My basic chicken salad always includes celery, never onion (overpowers the delicate chicken) mayo, salt and pepper. I've had it with halved grapes or craisins but I don't buy them especially for the salad.

I can buy a rotisserie chicken for $4.99 at my local supermarket, have a dinner, a sandwich, a snack or two and enough to pick over for chicken salad. That's pretty cheap, I think.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 AM

5,747 posts, read 4,163,343 times
Add mayo to chopped up chicken, salt/pepper, celery, and either a dill pickle chopped, sweet pickles chopped, or 1-2 tbsp sweet relish out of the jar.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 AM

3,538 posts, read 2,381,485 times
I poach (or boil) bone-in chicken breast usually available for around $1.29 a pound. I chop or shred the chicken or you can use a food processor. I keep it simple and will add celery, pecans or almonds, mayo, salt and pepper and that's it.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM

36,595 posts, read 41,876,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When I think "chicken salad" I am not thinking the kind you put on crackers. I am thinking the kind you serve for lunch or a hot summer night salad and to me, it is very inexpensive to make:

just cut up chicken
some kind of pasta
green or red onion (cut up)
peacans
snow peas
a combo or mayo and sour cream
salt, pepper and terragon (the terragon is a must)

We are not huge into sweets, so i do not do add grapes or crasons like some people.
Why could you not put that on crackers?

Any chicken salad I make, I can either eat as a sandwich filling, top crackers with it, eat on the aforementioned jacket potato, eat as a scoop on a bed of greens, whatever.

I'm not big on fruit in it, but I'll eat i if somebody else made it an added grapes or what have you.

I really dislike tarragon, though. It's the only herb I find distasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes