U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 PM

36,949 posts, read 45,395,424 times

Advertisements

Chicken
Mayo
Dried cranberries or grapes. I've never put chutney in it, but that sounds good.
Celery
A bit of curry powder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM

3,806 posts, read 1,614,914 times
just a little fresh minced garlic
ditto fresh ginger.
chopped celery and/or lettuce.
canned or fresh-cooked chicken
mayo, of course

my husband's recipe is chicken, mayo, and sweet pickle relish.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:06 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,837,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
...my husband's recipe is chicken, mayo, and sweet pickle relish.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 PM

468 posts, read 358,397 times
I just shred and cook about a pound of chicken, cool it, and then add a little bit of chopped onion, Hellman's mayo, little bit of black pepper, and I crush a chicken boullion cube and start out by adding about half of it. Then I taste the chicken salad, and add more if it needs it.

My family likes just a plain chicken salad without a bunch of ingredients.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 PM

608 posts, read 244,796 times
My basic recipe for chicken salad is pretty simple. It has canned chicken breast chunks (Great Value brand from WalMart), drained and shredded, diced onions, diced celery (if I have it) and mayonnaise. Sometimes I add finely diced bread-and-butter pickles. That’s good for sandwiches or for filling cherry tomatoes and snow pea pods as appetizers. For a main dish salad I add shredded lettuce and either halved red grapes or halved or quartered cherry tomatoes depending on my mood. Now I’m hungry for chicken salad!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:13 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,604,127 times
Chicken.
Mayo.
Celery.
Onion.
Pepper.
Done.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,765,811 times
I like cashews, if I have them, or almonds. Always celery. And Craisins. Green onion maybe. S & P. Moistened with Hellman's Olive Oil mayo.
Best when made with a leftover rotisserie chicken.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,837,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
...Best when made with a leftover rotisserie chicken.
Leftover??? Heck, that's why we buy rotisserie chickens. I'm basically paying someone an extra $2 to roast a chicken for me.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:38 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Talking Chicken salad... starting with pickle juice (the liquid, not the person who posts in this forum)

I thought that there was a "chicken salad" thread but I can't find it... and I wanted to tell you about my new way of making chicken salad.

As usual, I poached two breasts. That's just putting two modcut - chicken breasts in a pot, covering with water, bringing to a boil, and then -- once at a boil -- setting it to simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Then I cut it up to cool, then shred it up with my fingers, mix with mayo and dijon mustard, call it done. (That's the way I like it. Simple.)

HOWEVER. This past weekend, having just had the last dill pickle from the jar, I had an aha! moment.

I poached the chicken the usual way, but instead of covering with water, I covered it with the pickle juice (except for the peppercorns, etc. from the bottom of the jar). Boil. Cover. Simmer. 15 minutes. Done.

WELL. This time when I went to cut it up to cool, I noticed how much moister it was. (Imagine if I'd let the chicken sit in the pickle juice for an hour. Or -- gasp! -- overnight!) And the flavor! WOW! I mean, it's not like the chicken was pickle-flavored, but there was definitely something-something there, not just "essence of dill." Did the usual finger-shredding, mayo/dijon mash. Done.

SO GOOD!

Now I need to find a source for pickle juice!

Last edited by Beretta; 08-28-2017 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: crude

Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
I like mine with white meat chicken, preferably from a rotisserie chicken. I run it through the food processor until it's chopped up really fine. Then I add garlic powder, onion powder, dill and black pepper, along with some chopped up dried cranberries. Then I add the mayo until it's holding together and spreadable. Almond slivers when I actually make the sandwich. It's really good spread on sourdough bread. One of my favorite things to eat. As a matter of fact, it's on the menu for tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes