U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 AM

26,167 posts, read 17,435,558 times

Advertisements

Did anyone ever try this trick on how to make boxed cake taste like it came from a bakery?
Step 1: Look at the directions on the cake mix
Step 2: Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich)
Step 3: Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
Step 4: Instead of water, use milk.
Step 5: Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box.

Makes sense if you think about it but I'm wondering if anybody here has done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:48 PM

8,151 posts, read 6,587,991 times
Bakery cakes usually taste like cake mixes to me, and the frosting is generally bloody awful. My family refuses to eat a bakery cake (with a few exceptions)

If you are going to all that effort, OP, why not just find a good recipe and make a cake from scratch? It would be less work and taste better.

My aunt does a good chocolate cake from mixes. She mixes a box of brownie mix with a box of chocolate cake mix and adds the required ingredients, minus one egg out of the total eggs required. She adds a cup or so of chocolate chips to the batter and frosts it with real chocolate buttercream frosting, not the stuff in a tin.

That's a good cake and the best thing about it is that I didn't have to do the work of baking it and cleaning up.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM

34,092 posts, read 11,306,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bakery cakes usually taste like cake mixes to me, and the frosting is generally bloody awful. My family refuses to eat a bakery cake (with a few exceptions)

If you are going to all that effort, OP, why not just find a good recipe and make a cake from scratch? It would be less work and taste better.

My aunt does a good chocolate cake from mixes. She mixes a box of brownie mix with a box of chocolate cake mix and adds the required ingredients, minus one egg out of the total eggs required. She adds a cup or so of chocolate chips to the batter and frosts it with real chocolate buttercream frosting, not the stuff in a tin.

That's a good cake and the best thing about it is that I didn't have to do the work of baking it and cleaning up.
Does your aunt add the liquid for both boxes of mix or just the cake? egg for both mixes minus one? It sounds good and easy but.....want to be sure I understand.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM

1,898 posts, read 930,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Did anyone ever try this trick on how to make boxed cake taste like it came from a bakery?
I generally don't like bakery cakes. So I don't try to make it taste like a bakery cake, but like a homemade cake.

I prefer to use cake mixes that call for butter instead of oil.

It tastes more homemade when I:

1. Substitute milk for the water
2. Add a box of instant pudding
3. Add a teaspoon of vanilla and a dash of cinnamon
4. Add an extra tablespoon of butter

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 AM

247 posts, read 157,469 times
Bakery cakes are usually not very good in my opinion. And I don't use boxed cake mixes because of food allergies. I'd imagine that whatever you could do to make a boxed cake taste a bit richer would be good!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 AM

20,506 posts, read 13,256,112 times
Since the 1980's the best cake recipes for the home baker I have found for consistency, flavor and texture have been from Martha Stewert. IMO.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM

508 posts, read 386,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Since the 1980's the best cake recipes for the home baker I have found for consistency, flavor and texture have been from Martha Stewert. IMO.

Oh yes, I agree.

I make her New York Crumb Cake very regularly, as my family and friends just love it.

It is truly one of those "less cake and more crumb" type of cakes.

A friend of mine always used to bring this cake when we had potluck suppers at our prayer gatherings and I finally asked her how to make it. She printed the directions for it off the internet.

One thing, you gotta hand it to Martha, she knows her baking, cooking and what's good to make and eat.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM

1,108 posts, read 469,393 times
OP, might I suggest making a vanilla cake from scratch? As an avid baker, ever since I learned to bake from scratch, I never, ever use boxed cakes. There's nothing better than the taste of a cake made from scratch. It is slightly more time consuming, but oh, soooooo worth it!! I have several recipes if ever you're interested in having one

Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM

508 posts, read 386,763 times
Quote:

Makes sense if you think about it but I'm wondering if anybody here has done this.

Yes, I've done them. Some work, and others completely change the consistency of the cake mix. I've used sour cream, apple sauce, milk, coffee, coffee creamer, natural flavor extract and mayonnaise in various cake mixes.

I did it once, adding an extra egg in the cake mix but it made the cake I made very spongy in consistency and much taller than normal. Didn't care for that at all.

My favorite cake mix with add in?

Duncan Hines Butter Pecan Cake Mix, use cinnamon applesauce for the oil. Everything else follow the mix directions on the box. Frost with a milk chocolate homemade frosting so you can control the sweetness. Top with some lightly toasted crushed pecans.

Also, when I'm dieting, lol, I choose a cake mix (even sometimes a Pillsbury Sugar Free one) and all I add is 1 egg beater measure and a can of diet soda or a can of club soda.

Frosting I make for the diet cake is 2 cups FF Milk, 2 pkgs, Sugar Free - Fat Free Jello pudding in whatever flavor goes with the cake, whip it up and keep it in a separate bowl in the fridge. When you have a slice of cake, plop the "frosting" on top then, otherwise if you frost the entire cake with this pudding frosting it will seep into the cake and become mushy.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 AM

1,141 posts, read 573,519 times
Quote:

Thank-you, for the tips!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes